Any Reformed FP- Uber Users Who Have Embraced FP+ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allmydisneydreams

Mouseketeer
OK- I confess, I was a park running, super planning, uber user. We rode rides all day long with no wait. Super early for rope drop, fastpasses all in a row. It was great. My family worshipped my amazing Disney skills. The good old days, lol :)

But things have changed and there is no way that I will let these changes ruin my happy place! So I am determined to learn the new ropes and maximize the potential of FP+. After all it says + so its good, right? Of course its good - just different. I've explained to the kids that we will have to prioritize a bit more, maybe wait in line a bit more. But it will still be great, its Disney!!!!

Thing is, I need advice. Tips. We are going one of the busiest weeks of the year (week after Easter). The thing that scares me the most is reading that rope drop is no longer the advantage that it once was. Whats a former uber user to do? If you've embraced the new way and had a good trip can you help me out here? How did you handle the changes and make the trip great? I know it can be done....The truth is out there:goodvibes

We were just there from 12/20 to 12/28, and found RD (or admittedly soon after on some days) to still be incredibly useful. Our first two or so hours in the park found most rides with minimal wait times. I scheduled my first FP+ when I knew crowds would start to pick up - around 10 or 10:30 - with the last one right after lunch. We'd then head back to the resort to swim and relax, then back to a park or to dinner later. Worked like a charm. ;)

We were just there from 12/20 to 12/28, and found RD (or admittedly soon after on some days) to still be incredibly useful. Our first two or so hours in the park found most rides with minimal wait times. I scheduled my first FP+ when I knew crowds would start to pick up - around 10 or 10:30 - with the last one right after lunch. We'd then head back to the resort to swim and relax, then back to a park or to dinner later. Worked like a charm. ;)

We did the same on our trip from Dec 9-17. Not as busy of a time as you but it was busier than our usual Sept trip. RD was still a great time in the parks and FP's began at about 10am. We did not get as much accomplished as we used to with FP- but again, we are used to going in Sept. So I am not sure if it was the time period that was the reason for getting less done or FP+. Either way, RD is still very useful!

We were there Thanksgiving week and in mid-June and honestly, we rode way more both trips with FP+ than ever before. I cannot stress how much time we saved running all over the park collecting FP's and how much more relaxing it was. Rope Drop is still awesome. The key is to avoid the big rope drop attractions (use your FP+ on those late morning) and hit the other attractions. Don't be afraid of standby lines. I don't know why so many people on the DIS think you can only ride a ride with a FP. That's ridiculous. We never waited longer than 20 minutes for anything either trip :thumbsup2

I'd say the only difficult part of FP+ is it makes riding a big attraction like Test Track multiple times in one day very difficult to do. We never felt the need to ride things over and over on past trips so that wasn't an issue for us. Also, shorter trips make the tiering hard to get around....but on longer trips it isn't as much of an issue. I found the new system to be very positive, way more relaxing for me (the FP runner) and we really were able to do so much more, even during higher crowd times.

RD is absolutely imperative in the FP+ era. We were there December 13-20th, and prior to 10 a.m., pretty much had the parks to ourselves. I took pictures, but I don't have my camera with me right now. Whoever said it's no longer an advantage is crazy. Sure, the first FP+ return times are now 9-10 a.m., but we found that most people who schedule the FP+s that early arrive toward the end of the window, not right at 9 a.m.

RD is definitely still an advantage, and one I would definitely use when you can!

FP+ is great for days that you aren't arriving in the parks until later. It really helped us get a lot done on arrival day, and the day after the 1/2 marathon (up til 4am) when we didn't enter til noon. We didn't find it as helpful on full days in a park (this is when we felt too scheduled).

I would make the FP+ times for probably 11-1 to get max use (especially on full park days) of both RD and FP+, and still have an option for a 4th FP+ - if you're there at a lower crowd time when 4th FP+ are likely to be available.

When you're planning your FP+,be aware of the attraction locations when you choose times. I chose attractions near each other, but put them in poor order (an example being choosing Everest for #1, KS for#2, Dinosaur for #3). For some reason when booking I just wasn't thinking clearly and didn't think about how we tour and trying to actively avoid backtracking. We did a lot of backtracking because of it. In the AK example above, we just did Dinosaur at RD and skipped that FP+ entirely (tried at 11am to change it to FOLK, but couldn't -no availability for the rest of the day). In other parks we just couldn't change things around, and thus the backtracking. We know better now :)

We still had a great trip - but neither because of, nor in spite of FP+. I'm sure your trip will be wonderful! Be sure to check out mesaboy2's FP+ information thread!

I agree with the PP that the parks, well MK in our case, seemed empty at RD - especially Adventureland and Frontierland! Crowds didn't seem to start building there until around11am during our November Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon trip.

This is the same strategy we used on our last trip and it worked great! We were the Fastpass masters before, so I was freaking out about FP+. It is different, but you can make it work for you! Rope Drop is still great to use! Most people are just not going to get up that early.

I am begging to plan a trip for next December or December 2016. My family and I are DL vets. We go there every few years. I have to say I had been one of those people who hoped DL never did fp+.

Since I have been reading so much about Fp+ lately. I have since changed my tune. I am excited about FP+. I am hoping that I can find the best ways to use it for my family.
Thank you for turning me away from the negative thoughts of FP+. Now I do kinda hope they will bring it to DL soon too. It seem's so much easier. I did not normally get three FP for huge rides in DL any ways. This system will help.

I remember waiting around for the night time fp for the cars land ride and I had to waist time waiting to make sure I got the time I wanted. Had fp+ been there I would have had it already. It would save a lot of time from running around the parks to get the fps.

I can't wait for our trip now, thanks to FP+ I am already planing our must do's each day. Also I never even thought about using RD. Now I will use it to get some rides out the way and not needing a fp for it.
TY again for changing my way of thinking.

Since I have been reading so much about Fp+ lately. I have since changed my tune. I am excited about FP+. I am hoping that I can find the best ways to use it for my family.
Thank you for turning me away from the negative thoughts of FP+. Now I do kinda hope they will bring it to DL soon too. It seem's so much easier. I did not normally get three FP for huge rides in DL any ways. This system will help.

With so many locals who visit DL & DCA (and so many locals with APs) the advance FP+ situation could be much more difficult for Anaheim guests.

We rope dropped on Christmas Day. Avoid Fantasyland first thing. Go to any other land that is opened. Rope drop is still very important with fp+.

We rope dropped on Christmas Day. Avoid Fantasyland first thing. Go to any other land that is opened. Rope drop is still very important with fp+.

I really think the addition of A/E and 7DMT this past year has been a great gift to those who love to zig when others zag. It makes doing anything BUT Fantasyland sort of a gimme.

DH and I went on an adults only trip December 5-10. It worked well for us. We slept late and had our fast passes for late afternoon. We did late nights at the parks and rode the other attractions then.

Even with our kids, now that they are teenagers, I can make it work.

I never disliked the FP+ concept...and after using it for the first time earlier this month, I still like it.

The key is the plan, if you RD a couple rides, then use FP+ and single rider lines, you can hit all the big rides in each park each day.

You may not be able to hit them multiple times (with a few exceptions, Everest is still a single-rider joy) but you can easily get them at least once.

The thing is, don't count on the 4th FP+ being for anything good. The thing about FP+ that is preventing the FP- uber-users to use it the same way is simply, marketing. Unless you don't do ANY planning before coming to the parks, you probably know about FP+...FP- was not as well known, most guests didn't use it. So with more people using it than used FP-, the numbers don't allow for great options for a fourth one...we got a BTMR on our first MK day...every other day it was rides where you could walk on in standby anyway, so wasn't worth the effort.

May I please add this question to OP's?

Are you getting to reride favorites?
Our superusing family likes Soarin x 3, TSMM x 3 and EE x 3.

Anyone pulling that off? Thinking about May...

I really think the addition of A/E and 7DMT this past year has been a great gift to those who love to zig when others zag. It makes doing anything BUT Fantasyland sort of a gimme.

Yep! You are so right. When we were there 2 weeks ago, I was panicking on the first day at the number of people there for RD. But 99.99% headed to A&E or SDMT. We had the rest of the place to ourselves for the first solid hour or more.

Btw, I love the profile pic of your dd in her Elsa dress! You are so talented :goodvibes My 14yo would go nuts over that dress!

May I please add this question to OP's?

Are you getting to reride favorites?
Our superusing family likes Soarin x 3, TSMM x 3 and EE x 3.

Anyone pulling that off? Thinking about May...

We rode TSMM 3 times in one day a couple weeks ago.

Oh wait.....other coast. ;)

The thing is, don't count on the 4th FP+ being for anything good. The thing about FP+ that is preventing the FP- uber-users to use it the same way is simply, marketing. Unless you don't do ANY planning before coming to the parks, you probably know about FP+...FP- was not as well known, most guests didn't use it. So with more people using it than used FP-, the numbers don't allow for great options for a fourth one...we got a BTMR on our first MK day...every other day it was rides where you could walk on in standby anyway, so wasn't worth the effort.

So this would probably make taking our old bands to use for "extra" SDFS+ pretty pointless. "Oooo look FP+ for Mad Tea Party! Yay!" :duck:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter