• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any Recommendations

friendoffigment

DIS Veteran
First timer. Staying outside. Any recommendations on good outside hotels. Any I should definitely avoid. Looking foir one fairly close (10-15 min walk) and with a decent pool since we will be going in august. I know I will get many different opinions but as a newbie I can use all the help. Thx

Many of the closest hotels don’t have the greatest pools, but the Howard Johnson and Courtyard Theme Park Entrance do. Both are a 10-12 minute walk. Do a Google search for the disboards rate at Hojo and it will save you about 15%.

I second the post above. We have stayed at the Courtyard mentioned above and had a good experience.

Consider staying near the Toy Story lot and walking over there to take the bus in as an alternative to staying within walking distance of the entrance. It's also a bonus that before 11am you can pre-clear security at the Toy-Story lot and just walk in to the Esplanade vs waiting in the long lines in the AM at the Harbor entrance.

The convention hotels or other hotels near Toy Story are usually newer or a much lower cost compared to those very close to the Harbor entrance.

If you need a larger room with more space and a somewhat suite like experience, we had good luck with the Homewood Suites Hilton and it was a <5 walk to the bus and a great value.

As people have mentioned, Howard Johnson and Courtyard Marriott have very nice pools. We're stayed at Hojo and the pool was fun but the walk felt like 100 miles at the end of the day.

Hyatt House has a nice pool. No fancy slides or anything, but we liked it. It's about 15-20 minute walk.

Candy Cane Inn: Recently refurbished. Their pool is average size but they have very nice grounds and continental breakfast. They are 10-15 minute walk but also have a shuttle which is great especially at the end of the night.

Right across the street. These are older, motel style places with outdoor corridors. Their pools are just pools, but the walk is amazing. Less than 3 minutes and you're at the Disneyland entrance:
Best Western Park Place Inn- Hot breakfast
Best Western Anaheim Plus Inn- Hot breakfast
Park Vue

Harbor Blvd can be really great because it's so close and there are tons of restaurants and shops right there. But there are some unpleasant things, too. There are usually a number of homeless people around, sometimes sleeping on the sidewalks at night. Most of them are pretty quiet and don't bother anyone, but some might try to talk to you.
Last time we stayed on Harbor in July 2023 (BW Anaheim Plus) the cars on Harbor Blvd were super loud and woke us up multiple times a night. We didn't sleep well at all.
Also, there are guys who yell at you with megaphones as you walk into the park in the morning and at night. They're mean people who spout political stuff and talk about how everyone going into Disneyland will eventually wind up in Hell. I've stayed on Harbor many times and this was the first time we saw this, but it seems to be a regular occurrence.
Some people don't mind it at all, but others find it stressful so I just wanted to mention it. I wish I'd known at least to expect it because I might have stayed somewhere else or planned my arrival/departure times for when the guys weren't out on the crosswalk.

Grand legacy at the park has a pretty nice pool area for being right across the street. We prefer the rooms in the new lobby tower or the newer building at the very back of the hotel.

Not right on harbor, but close to Hojo, is Home2Suites and Hilton Garden Inn. They share the same pool area and it looked really nice too.

Camelot inn has a pretty small pool, but it is on the 3rd floor I believe. So neat views of Disneyland. And not the typical motel pool in the parking lot.

The Camelot Inn is right across the street and has a very simple pool but it’s a rooftop pool with views of the Matterhorn and the fireworks. I’ve stayed there a couple times and it’s fine. Clean comfortable whatever

As people have mentioned, Howard Johnson and Courtyard Marriott have very nice pools. We're stayed at Hojo and the pool was fun but the walk felt like 100 miles at the end of the day.
100% agree on the pools and the walk back to HOJO.

With staying at the BWPPI we felt it was close enough to head back to the room for an afternoon break break but not so when we stayed at HOJO. I realize it is not that much further to walk but it felt like miles.

We stayed at the HoJo last time and the quiet pool was wonderful but we found we didn't get to enjoy it as planned. We wanted to stay in the park till early afternoon, go back to the hotel for a swim/rest break and return at night. We only did this two out of 7 days because all the extra walking to and from the hotel was not enjoyable, particularly as we come from a cool climate and it was HOT! That walk was not pleasant let me tell you. One day my daughter nearly feinted. We ended up rope dropping and then having an early afternoon break by sitting in one of the DL hotels (either in the Grand Cal's lobby or one of the restaurants/bars) and then returning to the park late afternoon and returning to our hotel early evening once it got dark and the walk back was in the cool of the evening. We are going again early December 2024 to enjoy all the holiday offerings. This time we are staying two nights at the Tropicana (much closer to the park esplanade) and hopefully 7 nights in a DVC rental (keeping our fingers crossed we can get a reservation in the next few days). We plan to have some non park days while we are staying on site to enjoy the pool and to play mini golf nearby and do some shopping. From all that I have researched the Tropicana has a decent enough pool, a little nicer than most of the really close hotels and I find the rooms to be really colourful rather than drab boring brown which so many of the other close options seem to opt for. The Tropicana is virtually right opposite the Esplanade entrance so we are really looking forward to that much shorter walk back for a mid day break.

For the record, the Hojo is almost exactly one quarter (.25) mile further than the Tropicana/BWPPI.
You are right distance wise it doesn't seem much but when you walk that to the park in the morning, back for a break, then back to the park again for the evening then back again to end the night it adds quite a lot of extra steps to the day. Trust me this is definitely a deal breaker to my 62 year old knees and hips.

I will always recommend The Anaheim Hotel. It's on Harbor across from Guardians. Short walk of about 8-10 minutes and a HUGE pool. No splash pad but the pool is large and they have floats and toys they put out to use as well as a hot tub. The grounds are beautiful and have the twinkle lights and oversized yard games. The hotel is remodeled to the mid-century modern look but is definitely still older (low shower heads were the main thing). We loved it for a girls' trip and booked it again for next October.

I will always recommend The Anaheim Hotel. It's on Harbor across from Guardians. Short walk of about 8-10 minutes and a HUGE pool. No splash pad but the pool is large and they have floats and toys they put out to use as well as a hot tub. The grounds are beautiful and have the twinkle lights and oversized yard games. The hotel is remodeled to the mid-century modern look but is definitely still older (low shower heads were the main thing). We loved it for a girls' trip and booked it again for next October.
Do you stay in a certain building? We stayed there before and the walls in our room were paper thin. I’m not a light sleeper at all, and have significant hearing loss in my left ear, and could hear our neighbors phone get text alerts all night. It’s made us shy away from staying here again because we hardly got any sleep and we were walking zombies.

Do you stay in a certain building? We stayed there before and the walls in our room were paper thin. I’m not a light sleeper at all, and have significant hearing loss in my left ear, and could hear our neighbors phone get text alerts all night. It’s made us shy away from staying here again because we hardly got any sleep and we were walking zombies.
Ugh that’s the worst! We were on the far right side with our porch area facing Castle Inn. They were doing remodeling work on the room to the left of us and we could hear work going on during the day but we didn’t hear our neighbors on the other side at all.

My current favorite off-site hotel is Majestic Gardens. They have a shuttle that's free for hotel guests; I haven't ever walked to/from the hotel because the shuttle is convenient and easy, and why waste all those steps to get to the park when I'm going to walk so much *in* the park. Why is Majestic my go-to hotel at this point? The buildings look like Tudor-style castles; makes me feel like a princess walking up :) . Indoor corridors make me feel more secure, though I always stayed at motels without corridors before I found Majestic. The grounds are well-maintained and clean. The pool is outside, but surrounded by buildings, so it feels more secluded than a normal parking lot pool, and has lots of lush greenery around it. The interior of the hotel is always cleaned, well-maintained, and it's fun to read the ongoing story of Princess Corinne, their mascot. The rooms are HUGE, and one wall in every room I've stayed in has a forest scene, which adds a little calming "view" after being so blasted with stimuli all day in the parks. The staff has always been awesome, and super helpful. The beds are always comfortable, and 8 pillows means I have 8 chances to find the best pillow for me! My flight usually gets me to the hotel around 1pm, and they have always allowed me to check in early without any type of charge, and have actually had a room ready for me every time I checked in early. The one time they didn't have a room ready, they switched me to a different room immediately since they said I looked so tired, haha. To be fair, I have to get up at 2:30 am to catch my flight, so by 1:00 pm, I am definitely a bit tired looking! Bonus points: More "bang for your buck" staying here-- I often get a large 1 King or 2 Queen room for around $150/night; finding that price on Harbor that meet the above criteria is impossible! Their shuttle picks you up right outside their lobby, and delivers you to the bus drop-off area (where the ART busses and shuttles drop their passengers off), so at the end of the day, your walk to the shuttle is really easy-- about 2-3 minutes from the security check.

As for walking distance, an often overlooked motel is Best Western Stovall's. It's south of the resort, on Katella at West/Disneyland Drive (West changes to Disneyland Drive right across the street). The walk is okay-- takes my arthritic self about 15-20 minutes to walk it. What I liked about the walk is that as soon as you cross Katella over to Disneyland Drive, you're on Disneyland Resort property the whole way. You walk north on Disneyland Drive, then go to the left through the Pixar Pier Hotel parking lot, and then through Downtown Disney to the parks. I'm typically a solo traveler, so I like being on the DLR property the whole way; it means I know I'm on camera from one way or another, and they would know if I sneezed wrong, and if something wayward would happen to me, they would have it on camera. The walk feels much quicker than it actually is. Also, there's not any homeless people on the walk until you are back on Katella.

A few years ago, I wrote the below review about the pool. It sounds really negative, but, once again, remember I'm a 44yo solo traveler, 5'3" and 150 pounds. As my grandma used to say, "Dynamite comes in small packages," but it's not like I could overpower someone substantially bigger than me. If my husband had been with me, I would have felt much better/safer and wouldn't have been uneasy about it at all. If it was daytime, I also wouldn't have felt uneasy. The pictures of the pool in daylight are lovely.

"As far as the pool goes, they have 2 pools and 2 hot tubs. I'm not a huge fan of the pools and hot tubs, but if I wasn't a solo traveler, it likely wouldn't bother me as much. Important background info: I often travel alone as a 40-something, petite female. I feel fairly secure in my ability to defend myself, and am fairly comfortable walking around on my own in the Disneyland resort area. Like I mentioned earlier, my room was at the northwest corner of the property. The pool is on the east side of the property. To get from my room to the pool and hot tubs, I needed to walk through a parking lot, through another building, and more parking. Most commonly, I use the hot tub on my first night at hotels/motels, as I've been traveling all day, and don't go to the parks that day. So, I changed into my suit, threw a towel around me, grabbed my book and phone. I walked down 3 flights of stairs. Then across the first parking lot area. Then I came up on a safety concern. Though the corridor was well-lit, it was a hallway and I couldn't see what was at the other side, other than more parking. Someone could have been on either side of the opening of the corridor at the other end, and I would have been totally unaware. So, I made it through the corridor, and through the next parking area. The pool area was fenced, and I think I needed my key card to get in. At this point, I was faced with my next issue. There was a pool and hot tub up front, and then one around the corner on the far side of a pool-supply building (maybe 15x15 ft building, but made the back hot tub and pool pretty remote-feeling). There was a young couple (ahem, trying to be polite) "canoodling" in the front hot tub. So, I had to use the back hot tub. It was dark, and just felt too far removed to be comfortable. There was also a big pick-up truck driving around the parking lot over and over again, with people yelling from the truck... So, between a back hot tub where I felt very hidden, plus a couple rather hot and heavy 15 feet away, plus a pick-up truck from who-knows-where driving through the parking lot, I just felt uncomfy. I basically ran back to my room as quickly as possible."

Despite that pool review, it's still a hotel I recommend without hesitation, and the price is usually hard to beat!

You’ve got to determine your list of must haves and things that are less important.
Distance to walk
Pool size (most motels have super basic pool and one is indoors and nasty)
Motel (door by parking lot) or hotel
New, refurbished or run down?
Kitchen or not?
Outdoor grills or not

We like the newish home2suites/hilton garden inn someone mentioned above. If we didn’t need the kitchen I’d probably go for the newish holiday inn express. It’s a few less steps and looks just as nice.

Homewood suites was our go-to. Even our last trip there staff is 🤩 But it was starting to see some wear and neglect from COVID closures.

I’ve heard complaints about Hyatt house having thin walls so I’ve always avoided it.

Springhill suites convention center is fairly new. And the residence inn there is nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter