• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any recommendations for beaches on the gulf side (driving from the fort)

InstaCamper

Earning My Ears
I started a similar topic about this a while ago, can anyone recommend some really nice beaches on the gulf we plan on making a couple day trips from the fort – we don’t mind paying for access to the beach, any recommendations would be appreciated, Probably to much to ask for a place to get a hot shower after playing in the sand ? We are on a tight budget and don’t get to play at the ocean to often (From Ohio), so getting a room at the beach is out. I dont mind the drive. Any suggestions appreciated!

We love Lido Beach, near Sarasota. They have basic beach facilities and the beach is gorgeous. Often we see lots of pelicans and they are so neat! Near Lido Beach is St. Armand's Key where you can window shop and find lots of different places to eat. If you have time, the Ringling Mansion and Museum are super! They do charge an admission, but it is well worth it! Hope this helps! Wish I was going....:laundy:

Blind Pass Beach just south of Sarasota is a small county beach and is covered in sea shells. We had a blast hunting for the perfect shells and sand dollars. I est about 1 1/2 hours drive from the fort.

Clearwater Beach, Siesta Key Beach, Anna Maria Island, Apollo Beach, just to name a few.

I know you said Gulf Coast, but there is a beautiful beach at Port Canaveral. It's a city owned park with a pier and an area you can see the big, Disney cruise boats launch and return from.

Fort Desoto Park in Tierra Verde (St Petersburg) has campsites and a beautiful beach (some sites right on the beach). We camp there often.

Anna Maria Island BY FAAAARRRR!!! Take it from a local:thumbsup2 … the sand is super white, and the water is GORGEOUS!!! You won’t be disappointed!:cool1:

Fort De Soto and St. Pete Beach. If you're lucky you can camp at Fort De Soto as their aren't alot of spots and the locals snag them up, if not their is a KOA in St. Pete.

I also say Anna Maria and we like Holiday Cove RV Resort. Though you'd have to drive or take the free shuttle over to the beach from this RV Resort. But, the RV resort it's self is worth it for us and Anna Maria and Holmes Beach etc. is not as commercial (no high rises) as most places.

I love the beaches in Pinellas County. Pass a Grille is my favorite here.
However, a little futher South:drive:, and the selection improves, IMHO.
:beach:
Anna Maria Island/Holmes Beach is one of my all time favorites. Siesta Key in Sarasota is also beautiful.

Anna Maria Island BY FAAAARRRR!!! Take it from a local:thumbsup2 … the sand is super white, and the water is GORGEOUS!!! You won’t be disappointed!:cool1:

This sounds like it would be exactly what I am looking for. Could you provide me with direstions where you would suggest we go for the public beach? or an address I could plug into my GPS?

We want to try and hit the beach several times so we may be able to hit several suggestions- keep them comming

This sounds like it would be exactly what I am looking for. Could you provide me with direstions where you would suggest we go for the public beach? or an address I could plug into my GPS?

Here ya go…

4000 Gulf Drive
Holmes Beach, FL 34217

This should pretty much get you to the entrance of the public parking area for the beach. Depending on if you’re just driving a regular car (not a motorhome) you can even just stay right and drive down the main road, and then turn left and park at the end of one of the streets on the gulf side instead (more secluded there).;) AAANNNNDDD…. If you/re looking a for a good affordable seafood meal, try the City Pier Restaurant.

100 South Bay Boulevard
Anna Maria, FL

It’s a little restaurant at the end of the pier on the bay side of the island that makes an excellent grouper sandwich!:fish:

Most importantly, have fun! Florida gulf beaches are some of the best beaches in the world! :cool2:

Just jumping in here, but my favorite places to eat are Salty Dog (just below Long Boat Key near St. Armonds Circle) and on Anna Maria it's Rod N Reel for me. Oh and on Cortez their is StarFish Grill, it was awesome but I think the food quality has gone down a bit.

I dont care if you have to pay for beach access, but it would be nice after playing in the sand to get cleaned up and take a nice hot shower and go to dinner before heading back to the fort. Any thoughts Gulf prefered but if anything rings a bell on the Atlantic side let me know. Thanks!

As much as I love Anna Maria Island,I am from Bradenton, I would have to say Siesta Key.

Anna Maria has 2 main beaches, Bradenton Beach on the northside and Coquina to the southside

Siesta Key has the whittest, softest sand you will ever see in your life. Think of powered sugar.

As a former local, I'm going to cast my vote for Clearwater Beach. It ranked number 6 in this year's travelers choice awards for best beaches.

"Facilities:
This beach is full service with lifeguards, concessions, picnic tables, restrooms and showers."

FYI: The Pirate Cruise is a lot of fun

http://goflorida.about.com/od/gulfcoastbeaches/p/bch_clearwater.htm

http://www.clearwaterbeach.com/attractions

http://www.beachchamber.com/about_the_area.html

The Gulf Coast beaches are beautiful and I'm sure you'll enjoy wherever you go. :)

If you want to park your RV on the sand and stay overnight (I think it's $60) check out redcoconut.com

Although Ft Myers Beach is probably farther than you wanted to go.

There's also a very nice doggie beach at Lover's Key nearby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter