Any "Reacher" fans? Possible spoilers

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
I've been reading Reacher novels for a number of years now. I was never impressed with the Tom Cruise movies (he's about the opposite description of the character) and was happy when Amazon came out with Season 1. I'm having a tougher time w/Season 2, possibly because I just finished re-reading that book, and moving the setting is troublesome to me for some reason.

Other than that, I think they're doing a good job being "true" to the stories. Wondered what others have thought.

I haven't read the books but I'm enjoying the show. Can't wait for episode 5, I'm not a fan of watching in real-time (as they come out). I should have waited a while so I could watch two or three episodes at a time.

DH and I have both read all the books. Agree, not happy with Tom Cruise in the role.
We have not started watching the new season yet. Finishing up Animal Kingdom and watching Christmas movies and then it will be up !!

I’ve read all of the books by Lee Child and also the searching for Jack Reacher novels by Diane Capri. Agree that Tom Cruise was NOT Jack Reacher but Alan Ritchson nails it!!

I’ve read most of the books. They started to get too formulistic, but I really enjoyed the earlier ones. I thought Cruise’s movies were ok, but I found it hard to buy into him as Reacher. I *loved* season 1 of the Amazon series. I didn‘t think the first episode of season 2 was as good, but it’s picked up some steam in later episodes. Will be hard to live up to Season 1.

Dh read the books and agreed that Tom Cruise was not right for the role but Alan Ritchson sure is. This is one of the few TV or movie productions I have watched without reading the books, so I am enjoying the series. Very few series live up to any novels. For me, the exception was the Potter movies and for the most part, the Outlander series. The books are almost always better to me.

I've been reading Reacher novels for a number of years now. I was never impressed with the Tom Cruise movies (he's about the opposite description of the character) and was happy when Amazon came out with Season 1. I'm having a tougher time w/Season 2, possibly because I just finished re-reading that book, and moving the setting is troublesome to me for some reason.

Other than that, I think they're doing a good job being "true" to the stories. Wondered what others have thought.
I have read all the Reacher books and I agree with you about Tom Cruise. The author got a lot of negative feedback because TC was cast as Reacher. You are right. TC was the exact opposite of Reacher and that really impacted the movie for me. I just couldn't get with him as Reacher. The author said that he had No control over who was hired to play Reacher, which he regretted.
The new Reacher said in an interview that he was aware that the changing of settings and characters was troubling for some people. But he said that the books changed with each book with new main characters and settings, so he felt it was in line with the books. I don't mind this at all. I love the new series and think the Reacher casting was perfect.

I have read all the Reacher books and I agree with you about Tom Cruise. The author got a lot of negative feedback because TC was cast as Reacher. You are right. TC was the exact opposite of Reacher and that really impacted the movie for me. I just couldn't get with him as Reacher. The author said that he had No control over who was hired to play Reacher, which he regretted.
The new Reacher said in an interview that he was aware that the changing of settings and characters was troubling for some people. But he said that the books changed with each book with new main characters and settings, so he felt it was in line with the books. I don't mind this at all. I love the new series and think the Reacher casting was perfect.
Totally agree with the casting. Alan Ritchson is perfect for the role! And since the books can be read in any order, that means the series can be in any order. That doesn't bother me. I'm just a little disappointed they moved Season 2 from LA/LV to NYC/Atlantic City. No good reason for me to be disappointed, and it doesn't really affect the story.

Not too concerned with the change in location, although it does set up for an obviously different ending than the book.

The movies were so-so, although I have to say that the 2nd movie (Never Go Back) seemed to be better than the book (gasp!) Yeah, there have been a few Lee Child Jack Reacher novel "duds."

I was really hoping that One Shot (the book the first movie was based on) would be one of the seasons, but I guess not. :(

There is one book, set all during Jack Reacher's time in the army "The Enemy" that would be a good season. I also think "Worth Dying For" would be another good book to turn into a season. And "Make Me".

I have not read the books like most but really liked the story and characters in Season 1. I have been looking for a new book series after I gave up on the Clive Cussler books. Same plot line, insert new bad guys, new locations etc. I think I need to give the books a go.

Season 2 is ok. I enjoy the quick back and forth when discussing a crime scene. Ya also gotta luv how Reacher is a no nonsense, kick butt kinda a guy.

I have not read the books like most but really liked the story and characters in Season 1. I have been looking for a new book series after I gave up on the Clive Cussler books. Same plot line, insert new bad guys, new locations etc. I think I need to give the books a go.

Season 2 is ok. I enjoy the quick back and forth when discussing a crime scene. Ya also gotta luv how Reacher is a no nonsense, kick butt kinda a guy.

They are. The question is, do you want to read them as they were released, or what is supposed to be in chronological order? Because, as released, they start being in chronological order, until the author decides to take us back to Reacher's time in the army...

They are. The question is, do you want to read them as they were released, or what is supposed to be in chronological order? Because, as released, they start being in chronological order, until the author decides to take us back to Reacher's time in the army...
My bad, I was referring to Clive Cussler. I was an avid reader of his for many years until it became too repetitive.

I need to give the Lee Childs books a go from the start.

Not read the books or seen that Season 1 movies. Never been a Tom Cruise fan, he always struck me as a one-dimensional actor with limited ability. That 'wise guy' persona he has in every movie I have seen gets old and highlights his limited acting ability. Perhaps that is suitable for a younger actor, but doesn't seem to age well.

Not read the books or seen that Season 1 movies. Never been a Tom Cruise fan, he always struck me as a one-dimensional actor with limited ability. That 'wise guy' persona he has in every movie I have seen gets old and highlights his limited acting ability. Perhaps that is suitable for a younger actor, but doesn't seem to age well.
Amazon Prime has two new series of Reacher, starring Alan Ritchson. He's much taller, buff, and much more believable as Reacher. (I can't stand Tom Cruise.)

We waited to watch until they all came onto Prime and just watched them all in a couple days. Such an excellent show, I'm glad they renewed for season 3.

Just watched Season 1 this weekend. Good show. Looking forward to watching Season 2.

I’ve read other Lee Child books, but I don’t think I’ve read a Jack Reacher book yet. Might have to pick one up.

ETA: It must have been a different author. It looks like pretty much all of Child’s books were Reacher books.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter