any perks to staying in resort to other hotels?

missiowa

missiowa
Is there any perks to staying at a disney resort? I was going to plan my trip staying at the pop centry and now i am leaning more towards the hilton or best western on disney property. They both have free disney transportation but the hilton and best western have free breakfast and also the rooms look larger and much more luxurious. I have never been to disney and just looking for the best deal. Going 1st week of June 2005. Please help! Thanks, Missiowa :love:

Welcome to the DISboards, missiowa!

The main perk to being onsite is... you're ONSITE! :earboy2: You'll use Disney's internal transportation system, which is much more flexible (runs much more often) than the scheduled transportation from the offsite hotels. There are other things that come with being onsite, like early entry into the parks on certain days, being able to charge park purchases to your room card, having park purchases delivered to your room, ticket options that are unique to onsite guests...

Deciding whether to stay onsite or off can be a tough decision. You'll probably get the most feedback on the pros and cons if you post your question on the Resorts forum (it's in the Trip Planning section.)

Either way, I know you'll have a great vacation! princess:

Thanks, but the hotels I am talking about are on disney property( i think near downtown disney). Will I still be able to charge things to my hotel if I stay at the hilton? I am really looking for the most reasonable deal out there. Also, I am afraid that if I go with the pop centry, I will get a room that is really far away. My husband is disabled and cant walk up stairs or far from bus.Please help! Thanks!

Those hotels are really in a gray area... they get some Disney perks, but aren't really considered on property for most purposes.

Try the Resorts forum, they'll have much more useful and specific ideas.

Also, we have a very helpful forum called DISabilities, with folks who will be a great help with tips for making getting around WDW easier for you and your husband (DH, for Dear Husband, in DISboards speak. :) )

The best part of a trip to Disney? It's a LOT warmer than Iowa right now. :sunny:

Hello and Welcome!

Those hotels on/near DTD aren't 'truly Disney resorts', they're official WDW hotels, but don't have the 'extra magic' as staying 'on property' does....such as the Disney themes, the awesome CM, the awesome WDW sipper cups (with Mickey and everyone on them)....I've stayed at hotels in the DTD area but it wasn't the same, I checked out the next day and got into ASMo and it was so worth it! Like an entire new world....but you do what you feel is right for you...have fun!

I'll echo what others have said - Disney service at the non-Disney hotels on Disney property (i.e. the DTD area) is spotty at best. I've heard many horror stories about their transportation - it is NOT run by Disney, like the rest of WDW is.

There are elevators at Pop Century, and the rooms are not huge but I don't find them nearly as small as some people make them out to be. It's really up to you - do you want to spend your time in a big room or at the parks? If it's the parks, then Pop is for you. It's very close to Epcot, MGM, and AK - busses to them take 5-6 minutes or less. MK is a bit further away, but it still offers direct transportation.

You won't get that with the DTD resorts - nor do I believe you can charge back to the room. They also will lack the Disney "magic" that even a value resort like Pop Century has.

It's a no brainer for me - I only stay on Disney owned properties because of all the benefits you are assured (most convincing of which is the transportation). It's up to you to see what works for your family - though I'd suggest going to mousesavers.com and checking on current discount codes - I'm sure you can get a cheaper rate at Pop then you'd get at one of the DTD hotels.

N.E.D.

The Hotel Royal Plaza will have lots of extra perks if you're considering the first week of June, 2005 to be from May 31st until June 5th. Check out gaydays.com for more info as this is the host hotel for the event. :cheer2:
Otherwise, if this isn't your interest, you can't beat staying on property! The transportation service far exceeds that of nearby or offsite locations ... regardless of what you may have read in other forums. Some offsite locations drop you off / pick you up at the ticket/transportation center and still have the nerve to charge you. Disney has resorts with a wide range of themes and prices. I'd recommend checking allearsnet.com if you're really interested in being an educated vacationeer! :smooth:

i agree, the only way to go is to stay at disney and use their buses, that is a must. january 04 we stayed at pop centry but my fiance had a quezzy stomach so he wanted to drive tot he magic kingdom. what a mistake!!! the monarail was broke down. we had to what in line for the fairy boat with about 300 other people. if we would have taken their bus it would have let us off right outside the gate!! DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE!! TAKE THEIR BUS!! :earboy2:

I styaed off site one time and vowed to never do it again. I found that we hardly used the perks offered (like free breakfast or newspapers), and the bigger room didn't matter because we were hardly ever there. I have arthritis and have a diffcult time walking sometimes, and it is so much easier to go back to your room midday if you need a break when you stay onsite!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter