Any opinions on Vanguard airlines?

danacath

DIS Veteran
I'm trying to fly as cheaply as possible from KC to MCO. Vanguard is posting the best rates so far, but I'm a bit hesitant to go with them since I know very little about them. Does anyone have any "words of wisdom" re:Vanguard?

Flew Vanguard once from MSP to MDW. Both legs of the flight were VERY late. Into MDW, I had a 7am flight - usually the most on time flight you can get - well they checked us all in and then didn't tell us until 6:30 that we wouldn't be leaving until 9AM (!) because the flight crew didn't have enough downtime out of the air. They couldn't tell me this when I checked in at 5am! Then on the return leg, the plane that was taking us from MDW to MSP was 90 minutes late arriving so we didn't leave until over 2 hours after schedule.
They are notorious for being late, I found out from a passenger flying Vanguard to MSP only because he had 12 free tickets on them for when they stranded him for 12 hours. So if you like to keep to a schedule, I'd go with some other airline and pay for puctuali9ty.

I flew Vanguard Chicago to LA and vowed NEVER AGAIN! I towed my 3 year old DD and I was just upset, angry and during that trip but I have no choice but take it it and vowed not to do it again.
It was cheap alright but it was not non-stop and you have to go to Kansas to get another flight. On my way back I was delayed at the airport for 3 hours "just because" no bad weather or anything. Then we stopped at Kansas and I have to run to go to the next leg to go back to Chicago. My DD was throwing up because she was so cranky for the delays. When we were in Kansas (it was the last flight) I was running to go to my next all I plane and to my surprise I was not booked! My iterinary which I paid through the web states LA_KANSAS CHICAGO but the people in LA just booked me for Kansas! I was crying! My DD was crying. The plane was ready to take off. I pleaded my case because it wasn't my fault. The attendant went in the plane and ask anybody to give up their seats for us. Lucky me there was one. Imagine if no one gave up their seats then I have to be stucked with my child who is aching to go home all feverish because of what normally could be just 4 hours turned to 10 hours because of the stopover, lines, and airline people being unreliable.

My DH warned me but I didn't listen. It's up to you. Good Luck!

Don't do it! if your flgith gets cancelled you have no other carrier to fly on. and they have one of the worst customer svc's ever.

Yikes! Sounds like I better shop elsewhere! I'm supposed to meet a carload of people at MCO, too, so punctuality is pretty important here. Thanks for the "heads up" warnings, everyone! I hate to think where I'd be without these boards...probably stranded at some airport. LOL Thanks again!

Ohh I almost forgot. When I was in Chicago, I cannot find my luggage. They don't have their own CSO at the airport. They don't have their own luggage pick-up. They are sharing with another airline. Thank God they paged me and I picked it up at the second floor and they lost my stroller. (With my DH looking at me with the "SEE I TOLD YOU SO LOOK!) OHHH I JUST LOVE VANGUARD! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter