Any one else pay cash?

3girlsfun

working to pay for vacation
I think we have pretty much decided we are going to save up to buy our next camper cash. Not sure how long it will take us, but, if we save aggressively, hopefully at the latest we will have a new camper by this time next year.

Anyone else pay cash? Did it give you more buying power? I guess I mean, did it ease your mind to know that you could haggle, and once you got to the end of the haggling, you knew if you were going to buy for sure?

Just curious....

When we buy a TT (hopefully next year) we'll be paying cash. I do not expect that paying cash will get us a better deal. From what I've seen, dealers have financing available and don't care how you pay...in fact they may even make money off of the financing by getting a fee from the bank. I don't expect it will hurt my negotiating position, but I don't expect it will help. BUT, paying cash will suit my needs as i hate having debt. If the TT sits for a month or more, it won't bother me as much as I won't be making a payment.

I do know what you mean about buying power. We've paid cash for our last several vehicles, and it sure was easy! Negotiate the price, write the check, sign a few forms and off you go. No sitting in the dreaded Finance Managers office filling out tons of paperwork. We may not drive brand new cars anymore, but once we got past financing vehicle purchases it was so liberating! And I never have to worry about being upside down on a loan.

As Dave said, cash is normally not an advantage since the dealer does get a kickback on most loans. The advantage to financing is that the interest is deductilble as a second home unless you already have one (cabin, cottage, condo, whatever) the camper just needs full cooking, sleeping and bath facilities.

While we did finance ours initially, we paid it off within 18 months.

We did recently buy my new truck with cash and the final paperwork person said there was only 2 fewer pieces of paper with a cash purchase and a financed purchase.

We financed ours but pay aggresively. At least the interest is deductible. :guilty:

My oldest son is 16. If we saved up for the Sabre, he'd probably already be moved out by the time we bought it.

I guess what I mean by buying power, is did it make you feel empowered during the buying process. For example, my parents went to buy their Motorhome, they knew they would be able to finance whatever amount they wanted to when they went to look at the MH they ended up with.

So, if we go into a place knowing we can buy whichever unit we want (in our budget) then it should give us a bit of empowerment, knowing we can negotiate the best deal, and if not, we will go else where. I don't think it will get us a better deal, unless we buy from an individual...

We did recently buy my new truck with cash and the final paperwork person said there was only 2 fewer pieces of paper with a cash purchase and a financed purchase.

YEA! They think your laundering money if you have too much cash! I couldn't even pay for my daughters camper since it was in her name. Had to give her the check and then she wrote one to the dealer...

But if your ile--l, oh never mind!

The biggest advantage to paying cash or being preapproved for a loan is you WILL get the attention from the sales people everyone deserves. I do think it gives you a little wiggle room with the price. They know you are a serious shopper and will not want you to leave the lot without making a deal. However, they still have a bottom line and it really doesn't matter to them where the money comes from just as long as it comes. They IMHO are willing to reveal their best deal to you because they know they can seal the deal now but you still have to work for it. They are not going to roll over just because you have cash.

We almost always save and pay cash when we can. When buying autos, usually the dealer or saleperson takes a step back when saying we're not financing since it's rare these days. A good story I had from a Toyota dealer in Orlando, Courtsey Toyota (oops did I let that slip) is that I made the deal on the car, said I was paying cash (with a check) then they sent me to the finance mgr to do the paper work. The finance manager was such a snake that he drew up all the finance papers and told me he had a problem taking a check and that I need to finance the car 100% then pay it off when the first payment came in. He obviously thought I was stupid. The worst part was the sales mgr. agreed with him. I ranted and raved and got the general manager and he apologized and everything was good. I was on my way out the door and the GM saved the deal. Long story short, the car was later found to be rebuilt and I blew a further gasket and more greif and arguing. Moral of the story is be careful with cash. Cash is King and dealers should respect that. Just my 2 cents

I have a nice little trailer savings account just so we can pay cash when ready to buy - it'll be a few years. :laughing:

Thats what Killer Beaz would say,,
"SAVE UP !!"

I love Killer Beaz!! :rotfl: Went to one of his shows years and years ago! DH made the mistake of getting up to go to the restroom in the middle of the show...He will never do that again!:scared1: He acquired a new nickname that day that still makes us laugh!! SAVE UP!

the most empowering part about buying with cash is that you OWN IT!!! it's the best feeling in the world owning a camper and not having a monthly payment. the only thing that needs to be paid for is the campsite! (and hopefully very little maintenance) happy savings!!

We always pay cash for our vehicles, and we've found it's a great bargaining tool. We don't get super attached to anything until it's ours, so we offer the price we're willing to pay, show them the stacks of 100s and are ready to walk if they don't meet our terms. So far, we've never had to walk...the sight of all those bills is pretty powerful :).

It does have some bargaining power. We bought our TT a couple of years ago from a private party. He needed to get out from under his own payments. He was willing to bargain some, but not much. We offered $1,000 less than the original price, in cash. Since he didn't have to wait for financing to be approved, and he was looking at the money up front he accepted the offer. Without the money staring him in the face I doubt he would have gone down that far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter