Any ombudsmen here?

samshane

DIS Veteran
Dh's command is in need of an ombudsman - and it appears no one will step up to take on the responsibility. They have been begging for someone to do it for a couple months now.

So... I have been considering it. Today he let them know I would be interested. I know there is training offered and I have been sent all the materials to review to help with my decision.

They apparently have been without one for awhile - and the last one quit a month after taking on the commitment. The command is not too big - and I spoke with length about Dh about doing this. Because if I am going to do it - I am going to do it right and it's a commitment til we leave.

So - any pros and cons would be appreciated... maybe things I am not even considering.

TIA!

I have not been an ombudsman-the army doesnt have them the way the Navy does-but i have been a Family Readiness Group key volunteer-which as many of the same responsibilites-and i believe Tina (lovemygoofy) does family education for Army Community services-which also has many of those responsibilities-it is a huge commitment in the best of times since you deal not only with your own family stresses but those of the families in the command-during deployment it can be pretty difficult. I had to step out as they are all volunteers at the company level and my job-which is also with the army takes to much time and provides too much stress. Its very rewarding-but time consuming. Be prepared to find out things about your husbands co workers you would rather not know-and to not beable to dicuss those things with anyone. And be prepared for people to blaim you for things you have no control over. Best of luck :)

I work with some ombudsmen now in this new position. Trying to convert army family readiness group lingo to Navy is not easy lol

It is a detailed job working with the FRGs. You are going to learn things you never wanted to know about the families in your husband's unit. Is your husband going away anytime soon? It is a big juggle with deployment and family and then the FRG stuff.

Do you have a good rapport with the unit's commander? You will be working closely with the commander and if there is not a friendly connection there it makes the work even more difficult. Are you friendly with other spouses so to so share the work or make a team? Honestly, if you don't have the patience for pettiness and dealing with the most inane things you never wanted to hear this is not the job for you.

I would recommend you take the course to see if you are interested in this position before committing to this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter