Any of you good with pricing of pop ups?

Gillian

DIS Veteran
I know I need to hit some of the pop up forums, but it is taking me a long time to figure them out.

We are being offered a 2000 coleman santa fe pop up for $2500 from a relative. It is in good condition. Has AC. An add a room thingy with a carpet. I'm not sure what else as far as upgrades. Probably that's about it. There is a big gray hanging bag included. 2 wood chairs and small table.

We're very very new to this. We want a trailer but thought it would be in a year or 2. Now we have a make a decision fairly quickly.

We also don't have a tow vehicle, but we were planning on that soon anyway.

Any comments? Does that seem like a good price? This might not be the exact unit we'd choose if it were up to us, but it is nice and will work for our family of 2 adults, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. It's one of the smaller ones out there, so we may be able to get away with using a minivan. But we'd be happy with an SUV also.

Go to www.nada.com

click on consumer, recreation vehicles, camping trailers-C, zip code, Coleman-2000 and you will find listing with base Santa Fe at $3,060 low retail to $3,690 average retail. Note that it is only a rough guide and you have to add options and also most people in the know will not even offer low retail but that is up to you.

Good luck.

John

That sounds like a good price to me. A dealer would be able to tell you the "blue book" price though just to be sure.

When we bought our 5th wheel I sold a 2000 Coleman Santa Fe to a friend of mine. The trailer had the hot water option, A/C and I included a microwave and some other stuff. I sold it to him for $4000 a year ago.

I would say if the one you are looking at is mostly clean and in good condition then $2500 is a pretty fair price. The "big grey hanging bag" is a $100 option and the "room thingy" is probably the Coleman Add-A-Room which runs between $400-$500.

As far as towing a Santa Fe, you should have no problem with a minivan. You'll need to have a brake controller installed since Santa Fe models all have electric brakes. Go for it. You'll love having a popup. We had three of them over a number of years and they are so comfortable nowadays and very easy to set up.

Thanks everyone! I was pretty sure it was a good price. I just felt the need to do a little research to see if we could get something better suited to us for the same or not much money. Turns out we really can't! And this one has everything we need for now.

Yes, it is an add a room. I'm not sure what size. I think that's one of the best features! DH & I compared it to a balcony at a deluxe WDW resort. It's a place to hang out after the kids are asleep. And we don't have to pay the deluxe price. :)

Now we have to go minivan shopping. Love the 2005 odyssey, but not the price. Anyone have a used minivan all set up for towing that they no longer need?

Wow, I am having flashbacks. Our first camper was a 1978 Coleman Valley Forge that I bought from a friend's boss in 1984. Three campers and 21 years later, some of the best camping memories we have are with our two kids in that little used pop up. We travelled all over the west coast and moved across country to PA in that Coleman. In fact, I still have it (couldn't bear to part with it), although now it has been converted to a utility trailer. Have fun and enjoy. It sounds like a sweet deal to me. ::MickeyMo

:flower: Hi. Owner of a 2001 Coleman Santa Fe here! Trailer costs $7500 new. Not sure what the Blue Book is now. It's garage kept and in almost perfect condition. We love it and would recommend Coleman to anyone. Add a room is great! Good Bonus in FW. We towed it w/ a minivan, expoler sport and now an expedition. Minivan's transmission gets stressed while towing!!! Alot of people do it- but why risk it if your looking for a new vehicle anyway. I have kid's love the minivan but finally broke down and went to SUV. Towing with Explorer Sport was ok. Gas milage was about 15 towing and 16-18 reg. We finally got an Expedition on the road for 30K! mostly for comfort of driving to disney world from Maryland. It gets the same if not better gas milage than the explorer! We don't even know we're towing.
Pop Up in good condition for $2500 is a good deal I'd say. We saved $1800 buy camping in DW than staying at Wilderness Lodge.
Good Luck hope it works out!
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

We're getting pretty excited about it! Seems like our kids are the perfect age, because they handle everything we throw at them without complaining. If they were teens, it would be a different story, LOL!

Vehicles we are considering:
Odyssey minivan
Nissan pathfinder or xterra (get a deal through work)
chrysler/jeep liberty, town & counry minivan (get a deal thorough work)
Explorer so that we match the rest of the family

Plusses to an SUV - 4 wheel drive for visiting my parents in the poconos, better for towing
minuses to SUV - less space than minivan, seats fewer people &/or harder to get to seats.

Minivan - we really don't need it with just 2 kids and no more planned but we love the space and the ride for everyday. Better gas mileage. Love the Honda Ody.

I'm honestly happy with my Honda Accord but DH's car will need to be replaced soon. He would be happy with the Accord or an SUV for his daily driver.

Have you looked at the Explorer Sport Trac??

I love mine! It is 5 passengers, and has a pickup bed. It also has a 4.0 6-cylinder engine.

Plenty of leg room in the rear.

I got an ARE cover for the bed and a Class 3 hitch. I have towed quite a bit with mine and don't know what I'm towing is back there (Boy Scout Trailer, rather heavy).

Carol

Allow me to put in my vote for the Sport Trac. I have been towing with mine (hybrid - 4200 lbs) for the past 4 years without a problem. I think the Odyssey might be a little small for towing purposes. :moped:

What is the benefit of the sport trac over a regular explorer for someone who doesn't need the bed of a pickup?

We'd prefer 6 or 7 passenger, but we manage now with 4 (carseats take up the 5th passenger seat).

We would be okay with a minivan, but would be limited in further rv upgrades. Since we tend to hold onto our cars for a while, this is a consideration for us.

one more question, when telling them the length of our trailer, is that the length with it open? I guess that would make sense!

:flower: depends. you have your box size. santa fe is 10'. Or booking sites - I usually tell them 20'.
:flower:

Gillian said:
What is the benefit of the sport trac over a regular explorer for someone who doesn't need the bed of a pickup?

We'd prefer 6 or 7 passenger, but we manage now with 4 (carseats take up the 5th passenger seat).

We would be okay with a minivan, but would be limited in further rv upgrades. Since we tend to hold onto our cars for a while, this is a consideration for us.

I like it, because with the cover, I have a true locking "trunk". With an SUV, your storage is in view through the windows. Of course, with the younger kiddos, having an extra "row" for separation might be an advantage.

FYI, The Sport Trac is on a truck chassis vs. the SUV chassis. Absolutely no history of rollover with the Sport Trac if this is something that concerns you.

Also, the pickup bed is great for those Home Depot/Lowes trips we all make. ;)

Carol

Consider deeply how much the vehicles you are considering tow! I think Minivans are 2500lbs, explorer's are 3500lbs, and some 5500lbs?? (not sure about the 5500lbs) etc. typical pop up's are around 2000lbs+ loaded. then add your extra stuff in your trunk etc. If your really like camping/ you might upgrade to another rv. They are heavier. You'll need to consider this if you keep your vehicles a long time.
Good luck and do what's right for you!
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

A Honda Odyssey's towing capacity is 3500# and would tow a Santa Fe just fine. It would also give a family with kids some significant space inside when traveling.

Here's a couple of links to our past Santa Fe that you might find interesting....

http://community.webshots.com/album/39587888MFSlsQ (general pics)

http://community.webshots.com/album/83195063kherhn (general modifications)

http://community.webshots.com/album/42206977EzmPuZ (storage modifications)

http://community.webshots.com/album/106557587UyjWgV (electrical modifications)

We have a 2001 Honda Odyssey w/ the optional towing package ... by adding that package, it boosted our towing capacity to 3500.

I believe it was only 2500 before the package was added.

I do like the look of the sport trac. Thanks for the info! We've been looking at them on the road, asking why anyone would want one. Now I know, LOL!

I am somewhat worried about the lack of a trunk in suvs and minivans, actually. I like that in my Honda sedan I can throw all the junk back there and close it, keeping the passengers safe from flying "stuff." I'll have to be a lot neater with a van or suv.

rbork, thank you for your help. I am concerned about future towing capacity. It's a very difficult thing to figure out! I've tried suggesting to DH that we get a crew cab truck for him to drive. He wasn't crazy about the idea, plus they aren't really inexpensive. And if we need another family vehicle soon, we'd be kind of stuck.

My accord has 63,000 miles on it and is running fine. However it has had the computer, transmission and ignition switch replaced. All under recall from Honda and free, but still, makes you wonder if it will last as long as we expected (200k?)

just a cheap little way to give yourself some added insurance....what ever tow vehicle you choose - either get the sport/towing package from the dealership that includes a transmission cooler or get one installed independantly. they are only a couple hundred bucks and are great insurance. We camp in the poconos alot as well at tow our pop up to FW. Several mechanics told us the same thing - even though we are well within our towing capacity, towing up large/long hills or in excessive heat can take a real toll on a trannie. the cooler won't hurt if you don't need it, but you would be kicking yourself if you did need it and didn't have it.

by the way we tow a 9' Viking popup with a V6 Ford Windstar minivan. (we also have a dodge ram sport V8 pickup - but there is no room other than the bed of the truck to pack things. no good unless there is no chance of rain and you strap all your stuff down REAL GOOD.)
We like the mini van (with only two kids) as we can take out the back seat and have tons of space to pack that is protected from the elments.
The AV system we have in that van helps out on long trips too! (can you say "16 hours one way with playstation and DVD's to keep the kids quiet?!?!?")

good luck with your pop up/towing adventures. you'll love it - we do!

- lori

I also suggest visiting the site: popupexplorer.com. They are wonderful people who love camping and area always ready to give great advice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter