Any NY/NJ dis’ers that can help a girl out with airport advice? Budget in mind!

Penmac

Mouseketeer
Hello! I was unsure where to post this query. But, since this is a budget-minded decision on my part, I figured this was the right place. I just need to find some people from New York or New Jersey to guide me! :-)

We are a large family of 7 from the New England area. We typically travel to Disney in the summer when schedules are lighter. We sometimes drive but when we fly, we almost always have good luck securing reasonable flights from our local airport. I do my homework and try to book at the optimal time. And I’m not afraid to fly budget airlines if necessary.

Considering a trip over April school vacation. We have done this once before and drove. We will not have the flexibility (or stamina!) this time around with sports commitments, jobs, and life in general to squeeze in a lengthy drive on both ends of the trip.

It would be impossible for us to fly out of our home airport, since it is our school vacation week. Everything gets marked up substantially and we would be looking at thousands in flights. Not going to happen. We cannot adjust our dates to fly out a few days earlier or later because I work in a school and have to stick to the actual vacation days. I also can’t really book flights this far in advance because our kids play a lot of sports and we don’t have every schedule this far out. We usually plan vacas within 6-8 weeks of travel. Crazy, I know. But it works for us. School vaca flights will never drop. They will only get more expensive as time passes.

But, if we drive 4 or 5 hours south to NY/NJ, we can fly all of us there and back for under $2000 (at least as of now). The prices were even lower when I checked last year closer to the travel dates ($89 one way!), but we ended up going in the summer instead and never booked it.

We will have to add in daily economy parking and some gas money, but we will still be making out financially. Driving 4-5 hours is a breeze to us after so many trips to FL in the car. And looking at current available flight times, we likely won’t even need a hotel unless we experience delays.

My question for you locals is which airport would be best? Where can we find safe overnight parking for our car that won’t cost an arm and a leg per day? Which airport is the easiest to navigate for out of towners? Quickest exit and baggage collection? Or, are we totally crazy in thinking we can pull this off?! And if so, why? Hit me up with your recommendations!! And thank you. 😊

We just flew out of Baltimore instead of Philadelphia over Thanksgiving because of cheaper prices. I know MD might be too far out of your range, but I specifically wanted to point out that in terms of parking, we stayed one night in a nearby hotel before our early am flight and the hotel allowed us to park our car in their parking lot for the length of our stay (1 week). We just used their courtesy shuttle to go back and forth from the airport. I don't know if that is even an option for you, but you might want to check out possible "stay and park" deals near the airport you decide on. It's a fairly common thing, and we did the math and noted that the cost of one night was cheaper than parking at the airport or other area parking facilities. The early am flight out made the decision a slam dunk for us as well.

Good luck!

Are you looking for the cheapest tickets? Because that no doubt is Newark. But it's also...Newark.
We alternate flying out of JFK or LGA but those tickets will be much higher than Newarks. Are you sure there aren't any airports in a similar driving range that are cheaper? There are long term parking lots at both and I'm pretty sure I've seen some recently as low as $20 a day. Newark I'm sure has as well. I believe Newark is all one stop to MCO, don't remember seeing direct. I'm also assuming you're speaking of April 20th to the 27/28th?

My parents did this a number of years back for a cruise as the cost of the flights for 4 (they went with 2 friends) were so much cheaper flying out of NYC. I can't remember if they flew from LGA or JFK. They drove down the day before flying and did a park and stay at a near by hotel so check out that option as it can be cheaper then airport parking.

Don't be afraid to look at Westchester County and Newburgh airports as well and possibly Albany.

We just flew out of Baltimore instead of Philadelphia over Thanksgiving because of cheaper prices. I know MD might be too far out of your range, but I specifically wanted to point out that in terms of parking, we stayed one night in a nearby hotel before our early am flight and the hotel allowed us to park our car in their parking lot for the length of our stay (1 week). We just used their courtesy shuttle to go back and forth from the airport. I don't know if that is even an option for you, but you might want to check out possible "stay and park" deals near the airport you decide on. It's a fairly common thing, and we did the math and noted that the cost of one night was cheaper than parking at the airport or other area parking facilities. The early am flight out made the decision a slam dunk for us as well.

Good luck!
Can I ask who you flew out of BWI? We have found SW prices high there and try to avoid the ultra low cost airlines. Wish Jetblue was still there!

Sorry for the off topic OP!

Good luck!

Wow! Never would have thought about the hotel allowing us to park. Great advice! Thanks. Our friends did fly out of MD last year, staying with local family. I didn’t think about that but with an affordable hotel stay and early flight it might be added to the list!

Are you looking for the cheapest tickets? Because that no doubt is Newark. But it's also...Newark.
We alternate flying out of JFK or LGA but those tickets will be much higher than Newarks. Are you sure there aren't any airports in a similar driving range that are cheaper? There are long term parking lots at both and I'm pretty sure I've seen some recently as low as $20 a day. Newark I'm sure has as well. I believe Newark is all one stop to MCO, don't remember seeing direct. I'm also assuming you're speaking of April 20th to the 27/28th?
Our vacation is 15-19! Looking for reasonable direct-only flights. Once you add in crappy connections and potential delays, we may as well drive 😂 I’m so glad I asked because the stay and park at hotel option never entered my mind. I have to look into that!

I live on the west side of Manhattan and almost always fly out of Newark Airport when I can. Second would be JFK. But it is such a pain to get to from where I am. It's an extra 45 minutes by subway. And depending on the time of day, driving could be 2 hours from Manhattan.

This is ONE possible route for you. You'd have to check all the prices. Drive from New England directly to Newark Airport. Everyone but the driver gets out with all their luggage and the driver's too.

Then the driver drives to the North Bergen NJ "Park & Ride" parking lot, on RT 3, near the Lincoln Tunnel. About 20 minutes away. I *think* the parking lot is manned 24/7. So, it may be safe to leave the car there. (Google this.) It may be a lot cheaper than parking right at the airport.
https://www.njtransit.com/station/north-bergen-park-ride

Right there is the bus stop. The driver takes the NJ Transit bus #320 to Manhattan. It should be less than $4.50 each way. From there, it is ONE stop to the Port Authority bus station in Manhattan at Times Square. About a 10-15 minute ride.
https://content.njtransit.com/sites/default/files/bus_schedules/T0320.pdf

The driver gets off the bus, walks downstairs and outside to the Olympia Trails Newark Airport shuttle bus. It's $18.50 each way. Take the shuttle to Newark Airport. It will be about a 45 minute ride and they meet up with the rest of the party.
https://web.coachusa.com/olympia/ss...&nt=&sitePageName=/index.asp&cbid=86865358223

I take this shuttle bus all the time to Newark as I don't own a car. Very good. Very reliable.

Not sure if doing it this way is any savings as it's about $25 each way for the driver. But, the parking may save you a lot or not.

Can I ask who you flew out of BWI? We have found SW prices high there and try to avoid the ultra low cost airlines. Wish Jetblue was still there!

Sorry for the off topic OP!
(In hushed tones, motioning you over to the corner so as not to disturb the original topic/thread)...

We flew Southwest, it was a direct flight to San Diego and about $800 cheaper than flying out of Philadelphia (with a layover). Both Baltimore and San Diego are Southwest hubs, I think, which might explain the pricing difference.

Last edited:
We flew out of Newark this summer and due to a super early flight, stayed in the Marriot at Newark. We parked there for the duration of our trip. Simple and easy. The hotel was pricey though.

But I’m also here to say that we like flying out of Allentown (Pa) to Florida. It’s allegiant, so there’s that, but parking is easy and cheap and the tiny airport is a breeze. Depending on where you are coming down out of New England, it may not be too far out of your way.

Several of the hotels in the immediate area of BWI offer 'Park & Fly' type pkgs., you may have to call them directly to make those arrangements though.
Not sure where you would consider 4-5 worth of a drive, but Newark, NJ/PHL/BWI/Regan all can be a potential cost saver.
We live pretty much equally between BWI/PHL & Regan and find BWI usually has the best selection to FL in terms of r/t n/s flights. Newark & PHL has been good for out west, and Regan/Dulles for overseas flights. But - as always, it depends upon when/where/how many.

We flew out of Newark this summer and due to a super early flight, stayed in the Marriot at Newark. We parked there for the duration of our trip. Simple and easy. The hotel was pricey though.

But I’m also here to say that we like flying out of Allentown (Pa) to Florida. It’s allegiant, so there’s that, but parking is easy and cheap and the tiny airport is a breeze. Depending on where you are coming down out of New England, it may not be too far out of your way.
We just passed this area last weekend on our way to a tournament! It could have potential. Thanks for the recommendation.

My parents did this a number of years back for a cruise as the cost of the flights for 4 (they went with 2 friends) were so much cheaper flying out of NYC. I can't remember if they flew from LGA or JFK. They drove down the day before flying and did a park and stay at a near by hotel so check out that option as it can be cheaper then airport parking.

Don't be afraid to look at Westchester County and Newburgh airports as well and possibly Albany.
Agree with this. Westchester has some good rates and it is much easier in and out then the city. Parking should be cheaper too. Good friends of ours typically go down the night before and stay at one of the hotels that allow you to keep their car there and they take the hotel shuttle then to the airport. It is cheaper to buy one night at a hotel than pay for parking. This also allows you to get a morning flight to maximize your day. Unfortunately, I am not sure which hotels they have used in the past. We have also had good luck with rates from Albany, but it is hit or miss. Sometimes the rates can be double or triple. Parking here is very cheap and easy in and out as it is right off the Northway. I always check Bradley too, but not much luck there, but worth a try. Stewart Newburgh doesn't have much in there right now. I believe Frontier maybe. Over the last few years I have found the prices there terrible. I don't understand why they can't get more flights in and out. Parking is easy here and easy to get to from 84. It never hurts to look but again, it hasn't worked for me in years. Scranton has an airport there too, but I haven't been lucky to find prices that were great. If going into the city, we find most of the time LGA easier than JFK with city traffic. However, on any given day it could change. We have also flown out of Newark, but it has been a while since we have done this. We have never had to leave a car then so not sure about parking. Philly isn't that much farther than Newark too if you are looking to go that far. Good luck. I understand the constraints of working in the school system and having active kids. Enjoy the planning and trip. Hoping you find some good deals without too long of a travel.

Don’t hate on Newark! Honestly driving there is MUCH better than the nightmare that is navigating to JFK. Plus if there are delays or cancellations it’s better to be at a big airport vs. something like White Plains or Albany (speaking from experience having to try to get my mom home).

DH always finds offsite parking with a shuttle. We have used a number of them and I think he likes Corporate Airport Parking the best. It isn’t the cheapest but it isn’t too crazy. Parking at White Plains is crazy expensive.

Take a look at Bradley as well. It might be a closer option for you.

Having said that, are you sure it’s worth it to drive from the Boston area to Newark and then get on a plane, rather than just sucking it up and driving through?

Two other smaller airports I know of are Trenton Mercer Airport (Frontier Airlines) and Atlantic City International Airport (Spirit). I believe parking rates are $10-13 a day.

We prefer to fly out of Newark. We only go to JFK (I don't even consider LaGuardia) when absolutely necessary/no choice. We do pay a little more out of Newark but it is worth it unless you are a large family. Just an easier drive. But you have other choices (and it all does depend on where one is coming from).

I haven’t flown out of LGA in years, but according to the WSJ supposedly it is better now than it used to be, though I don’t know about the parking situation though. Newark is so much easier for us.

Newark is our airport (20 minutes without traffic), we’ve always taken direct flights to mco. We are a family of 7, H drops us off and parks in long term and takes the shuttle back. As for prices, we’ve never flown at spring break because the fares go sky high at all 3 airports. All 3 will be busy. LGA recently had a lot of work done, at one point all 3 topped the charts as the 3 worst airports in the country.

I am in NJ. Without traffic Newark is the same distance as LaGuardia for us, but the NYC tolls can add up.

If we drive and use an airport lot, we reserve and pay in advance where it can save us some money.

Newark Airport Parking

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter