• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any new Minnie Van rumors?

Aurora79

Mouseketeer
We are going back in March 2022, and I’m desperately holding out hope Minnie Vans will be back since the website still says “Temporarily” Unavailable.

We took the Minnie Van to and from the airport in 2020 and used it to get from GF to WL and back for Artist Point, and yes it wasn’t cheap, but it was well worth it in our opinion.

Does anyone on here have any inside info if they will be coming back this year, or should I start looking into other airport transfer service options?

IF i remeber correctly they were permanently discontinued prior to COVID but you never know.

One rumor said the vans were returned. Another rumor says the vans are in a parking lot. Yet another rumor says Disney lost $$$ and is happy to get rid of the service.

I'll speculate, if, the service comes back it will be with a price increase.

One rumor said the vans were returned. Another rumor says the vans are in a parking lot. Yet another rumor says Disney lost $$$ and is happy to get rid of the service.

I'll speculate, if, the service comes back it will be with a price increase.
I don't understand how they were losing money given the prices they charged and the fact that the vans were so constantly booked that they were hard to get. Something was being mismanaged if they were losing money.

I don't understand how they were losing money given the prices they charged and the fact that the vans were so constantly booked that they were hard to get. Something was being mismanaged if they were losing money.

I was thinking the same thing. I know that many people did use uber or lyft instead. We used the minnie van service a number of times. It was very enjoyable. Maybe more people are driving?

Reality is that none of us know or have any clue what's going to happen in the future. With all the photos of them parked it would make you think they intend to bring it back at some point. But with WDW at reported 35% capacity, many of the on property hotels still not open and the risk of COVID and need to protect CMs and guests I don't think we'll see them come back (if at all) until the 50th (if even then). They need capacity to get back closer to normal before they bring back CMs, which I'm sure will be a negotiation point with the union about safety factors too.

With what @JimMIA said on another post that a lot of the Lyft/Uber drivers have bailed and are instead doing deliveries, plus the reduced number of rentals and high prices it's really going to put a squeeze and a challenge for those visiting without a car. Sort of creating the perfect storm for a replacement Magical Express, but we know that's not going to happen.

Uber and Lyft are losing money. Uber and Lyft drivers have to pay for their cars, gas, insurance and maintenance. According to knowledgeable posters they are being paid less then the IRS allowance. In other words they're not paid enough to cover car expenses.
I doubt Disney could put enough Minnie Vans on property to cover rope drop demand.

Disney was paying the drivers, leasing the vans and paying all expenses.
You need to compare the Mears Towncar fares, not Uber or Lyft.

I was thinking the same thing. I know that many people did use uber or lyft instead. We used the minnie van service a number of times. It was very enjoyable. Maybe more people are driving?

I believe Minnie Vans were run by Lyft. I'm guessing it's more cost effective to have Lyft use its regular drivers/vehicles instead of a separate fleet and having to pay Disney a cut too.

I'm okay with Lyft/Uber except for MK. Would be kinda if cool if Disney worked with Lyft to get a Bus Stop option on the app, so if you paid a little more they would drop you off where Minnie Vans would. Of course this would be impossible as guards wouldn't be able to tell which customers paid for this and which ones did not.

I'm okay with Lyft/Uber except for MK. Would be kinda if cool if Disney worked with Lyft to get a Bus Stop option on the app, so if you paid a little more they would drop you off where Minnie Vans would. Of course this would be impossible as guards wouldn't be able to tell which customers paid for this and which ones did not.
Disney won't let buses chartered by Swan Dolphin load and unload at MK.

IF Disney added a ride share slot at the MK they could do something like charge$$$ per vehicle for a special Mickey sticker. Disney would electronically log the plate number and bill per drop off and pick up.

I think the chance of this is near zero.

We don’t like busses, but I also am not a fan of driving in the city, so we loved the Minnie Vans. It was a way to get trusted, reliable transportation, especially to and from the airport. I know there are a ton of others to choose from, but that’s just it...which one? FL Tours, Tiffany, Ace Luxury?

Because the business model is based on picking up someone from the same general location that you dropped off the previous passenger. This doesn’t work in WDW much of the time, especially during the mornings when everyone wants to go to a park but no one is leaving.

Uber and Lyft are losing money. Uber and Lyft drivers have to pay for their cars, gas, insurance and maintenance. According to knowledgeable posters they are being paid less then the IRS allowance. In other words they're not paid enough to cover car expenses.
I doubt Disney could put enough Minnie Vans on property to cover rope drop demand.

Disney was paying the drivers, leasing the vans and paying all expenses.
You need to compare the Mears Towncar fares, not Uber or Lyft.
That's all true, but Disney was also charging prices way in excess of what Uber and Lyft were. I have a hard time seeing how they would have been losing money. It could be possible that the Minnie Vans weren't making enough money for Disney to justify keeping them around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter