Any "must do's" for first-timers at the Poly?

Angel1

Mouseketeer
We're leaving pretty soon and I'm wondering if you Poly experts have any "must do" activities for my family!

Thanks!

Judy

Depending on the weather you should either try to see the fireworks from the beach or in the lounge in th GCH. You can also catch the EWP from either of those spots they are great to see and always seem magical. Try to make it over to see the Christmas trees at the GF and the decorations at the WL are also wonderful.
As far as dinning options go we have enjoyed both the Kona Cafe and Ohana's. The Banana french toast is delicious but huge. They also have a very yummie yougurt and fruit platter for breakfast at the Kona. The Coffee of course is delicious.
I would try to get a dessert from the Kona once during your stay. We ate dinner there but we were too full to eat it and then we never got back to get one. The next ime I am there I intend to go for just dessert and coffee. They looked so good.
Make sure you sit on the beach under a palm tree for a little while and watch the world go by while you enjoy the warm breeze and a nice drink.
Have a wonderful trip.

We stayed there for the first time last summer, and on our first evening we ate dinner at 'Ohana. The food (and drinks ;) ) are good and it really puts you in a festive mood and gets you into the spirit of the resort.

Also the kids will love the volcano pool!

And I agree with the previous poster, if the weather's good, go watch the fireworks from the beach.

Have a great trip!

I give a thumbs up to the luau especially if you have children. The food is family style and I would give it a three out of five for quality but it is fun. When we went, the fireworks started just as the luau ended and we watched from the beach. It made a very nice conclusion to the evening.

By the wya, how do you get that countdown attached to your name?

We love to eat at 'Ohana! Also, watching the Electrical Water Pageant from the Poly's beach is really relaxing. :)

You don't mention how many kids you have, but if you're looking to dump them and go have a nice adult evening, the Neverland club is great. We dumped Emily there, went to Flying Fish for dinner and wandered around Boardwalk and Epcot for a few adult-oriented hours, then went back to get her.... and she refused to leave. She had a great time and it wasn't that expensive (it's $10/hour/kid now).

Don't forget a meal at the Kona, particularly breakfast. Everything that's been said so far about 'Ohana is correct, don't miss it.

I'm insanely jealous.

Good luck and have fun!

Kevin

I think we'll try to do each idea that was mentioned. I don't think we'll be able to use the Neverland Club, though,with 3, 8 and 11 yos. My sister and her DH are going to sit for us one night, though! We're debating between going to Cali Grill, Spoodles, Le Cellier or Flying Fish...

Gotta love these tough choices! :smooth:

Thanks

Judy

Try to catch the Torch Lighting ceremony in the Great Ceremonial House. I think its still nightly at 6pm. Man running around with fire wearing a loincloth-- enough said.

Watching the fireworks from the beach is a definite favorite of mine, as is the Electrical Water Pagent.

Give the Tiki Gods a hug for me!

Also, I would suggest making the rounds on the monorail and seeing the decorations at the GF, and maybe a trip to Wilderness Lodge (provided you like Christmas decorations that is). We have planned a 1/2 day for the MK resorts and a 1/2 day for the Epcot resorts (my sister, who will be with us for the first couple of days of our trip, has never been to Disney during December and she lives in Florida).

I would like to thank you for your reccomendations too.

We are going to the Poly in just over a month and can't wait!!

Watching the EWP from the beach sounds excellent.

I have not been to the Poly pool bar since the pool rehab but they used to have mai tais served in a children's beach bucket, get a bucket of mai tais and some snacks from Captain Cooks and sit on the beach taking in the beautiful atmosphere as you sip your mai tais, it doesn't get much better than this! Enjoy!

Wow...cool, gotta catch the torch lighting! I just have a thing about those torches! (and I guess I won't argue with a man in a loincloth...lol!) Truly though, the torches are what make the Polynesian my favorite. Flames just create such a great mood as lighting.

Do they still do the ladybug release? I think it was listed in our activities sheet the last time we stayed there.

Oh, definitely take a few minutes right after check in to look over the list of activities going on at the resort that you're given.....so you can plan what you want to do!

Also, if your 3yo uses a life vest, you can borrow one for your length of stay from the marina. We've done this for our little ones each time we stay at WDW.

Mai Tais in beach bucket? I think I'd be lucky if my dd didn't fill it with sand before the drinks were gone..... sounds very cute (and yummy...without sand anyway....).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter