• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any major airlines you would pay MORE to avoid?

I am the weird child who will avoid Southwest at any and all cost. TWICE I ended up stranded for more than 5 hours because they ELECTED to do something that resulted in massive delays. I'm not talking about a mechanical problem that HAD to be fixed or a crew that didn't show up. I'm talking they electively decided to do something that was not 100% mandatory. The biggest irony is the second time was a flight I'd paid for with the voucher from the first time. I flat out refused the voucher they offered the second time and have not even pondered using them since.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... You don't get my business anymore.

I try to avoid United whenever possible. I cannot remember the last time I flew on a United flight that wasn't delayed.

American's new seats are pretty terrible, so I try to avoid them as well.

My general rule is that if Southwest goes where I'm going, I fly them. The one exception is when I go to Vegas, I typically fly Spirit, but I pay for upgraded seating. I've always had a good experience with them.

Delta. Late flights, canceled flights, but the kicker was the FAs that sat in galley and trash talked my hometown. I was done after that.

We haven't flown United for last 5 years because of a few bad experiences. The worst and final one was with a flight attendant who was angry at us because DS who was 4 at the time, sneezed on her while she was serving snacks and drinks. We apologized and DH reprimanded him for not covering his mouth, but this didn't satisfy her one bit. She loudly lectured us on being inconsiderate and getting other people sick (DS was not sick and I told her that). The loud lecturing was unfortunate because DH became defensive and told her that she was off the chain. Then she and DH proceeded to exchange stinging remarks to each other for one good long insufferable minute. So whenever I think of United, all can I think of is that silly unnecessary experience.

Sounds as if your husband behaved as badly as the FA. Have you stopped “flying” him?

Sounds as if your husband behaved as badly as the FA. Have you stopped “flying” him?

Nope. Last time I checked he wasn't an airline. And he wasn't behaving as badly as you are right now, and definitely not behaving as badly the flight attendant. His remarks to the flight attendant were nowhere near as snarky as your reply. So if there's bad behavior to call out, I suggest you look at your own. Fortunately I haven't had issues flying with him since, because we don't fly United anymore.

Last edited:
Spirit. I know someone who flew on Spirit to Disney and in the strongest possible terms, he would not recommend it.

I would pay more on American, but only to get seats with extra legroom.

We prefer Delta and SW as our #1 and 2. They are interchangeable.
American(uncomfortable planes and never had an on time flight) and United(canceled our flight stranding us in NYC due to "air traffic control") are lower picks.
Allegiant and Frontier aren't even options to consider.
We don't have Jet Blue/Spirit/Alaska Air at any airport within an hour of us.

We are taking Delta to Vegas and back next week. In June, we are doing SW to Seattle then will return via Air Canada using United points from Vancouver.
Our Disney trip in Oct will hopefully be SW, but the schedule/prices have not been released.

I did not want to wait for SW (which I love) and therefore booked AA for our trip today. Primarily, I wanted to avoid missing out on getting direct flights which almost happened last year.

I will say one trend of this thread is that it appears that all airlines are on one person or another's list.

I have really only flown SW or Delta and liked them. I fly out of Philadelphia. I am keeping my fingers crossed for AA. It is a 7am flight so hopefully delays won't be a huge problem.

Also, from what I have been told by more frequent fliers, the staff at Philadelphia airport is extremely rude, so I'm sure I can handle AA staff.

I did not want to wait for SW (which I love) and therefore booked AA for our trip today. Primarily, I wanted to avoid missing out on getting direct flights which almost happened last year.

I will say one trend of this thread is that it appears that all airlines are on one person or another's list.

I have really only flown SW or Delta and liked them. I fly out of Philadelphia. I am keeping my fingers crossed for AA. It is a 7am flight so hopefully delays won't be a huge problem.

Also, from what I have been told by more frequent fliers, the staff at Philadelphia airport is extremely rude, so I'm sure I can handle AA staff.

I fly AA out of Philly at least once a year. The airline is fine. I have not experienced rude staff anywhere at the airport, although TSA wasn't overly helpful when my cell phone was misplaced back in November.

You'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter