Any last minute tips?

MusicalAstronaut

DIS Veteran
I'm a WDW Passholder flying out to California tonight for my first ever DLR trip! I've read the WDW vet's first time at DLR thread, how to use maxpass, and other "So it's your first time at Disneyland" threads. Any last minute tips? Things I should definitely do or definitely avoid, favorite things to eat & drink, something that's painfully obvious to you but I might not think of? I feel like I'm going in blind compared to how much I know about WDW! Also squeeeeeeeeeeeee I'm so excited! :jumping1::disrocks:

Before moving to Ca last year, I went to WDW every year for at least 25 years. I knew the place forwards and backwards. No Map needed! But it was an adjustment to have to get to know everything again. So be sure to get a map and adjust your brain that you need to learn a new layout. :)

Eat Plaza fried chicken! Churros! Guardians of the galaxy is the best ride ever! Spend time in cars land. Bask in the glory that is new Orleans square. Enjoy the many single rider lines. Enjoy park hopping with out a bus. Soak it all in and have a fabulous trip! I love both wdw and DL for different reasons so have fun finding your love for all the different versions of Disney!

Speaking of single rider lines, are any of those NOT worth it? Like do any of them back up so much you might as well do standby?
Single rider is always faster than standby except for maybe Indy. How fast single rider can be is why most groups that aren’t worried about riding together on RSR will do single rider and cut down on their time in line

If you can be in Cars Land at sunset, plan a break to watch the neon lighting on Rte. 66 -- just like in the movie! (Google the time for sunset, be on Rte. 66 about 10 minutes beforehand -- earlier if you want a snack from the Cozy Cones, find a spot in front of Flo's or the Cones, then wait for the magic!

You choose a great weekend weather wise to come to CA. Remember to enjoy your time and that with the MP you can maximize your trip. Sometimes you can even find that a MP will start in 10 mins or less. Make sure you take time out to see the Frozen show, Fantasmic, and World of Color. To me Fantasmic is way better at DL over DW minus the fact that you won't have a seat unless your cool with the ground or camp out a spot.

Have a great trip and enjoy the fact that you don't have to get on a bus to go to another park and not having everything spaced out. Remember to take breaks and if you do take a break in your room to set reminders when you can get a new MP. We stacked 3 or 4 of them while on breaks in our rooms.

Speaking of single rider lines, are any of those NOT worth it? Like do any of them back up so much you might as well do standby?
I've generally found Indy to be okay. On the other hand, I've had two times that single rider for California Screamin' was awful, like 30 or more minutes. Not worth the wait. Maybe now that it's Incredicoaster that's not the case any more, but unless they've radically changed the loading process, I don't know how it could be much better.

If you can be in Cars Land at sunset, plan a break to watch the neon lighting on Rte. 66 -- just like in the movie! (Google the time for sunset, be on Rte. 66 about 10 minutes beforehand -- earlier if you want a snack from the Cozy Cones, find a spot in front of Flo's or the Cones, then wait for the magic!
Loving all of these tips so far, please keep them coming!! <3 I’m heading to the airport and practically bursting with excitement!

If you need some down time, you can head to the beautiful, cavernous lobby/ lounge of the Grand Californian to relax by the fireplace and listen to the live pianist. Last time DH and I took a break to do this, I requested our song (“Misty” - not even Disney!) and he played it for us.

Have a fantastic time!!!! We have never had the single rider lines at DLR take too long (unlike at WDW- especially RNRC). At some point, walk into Carsland from the back of Pacific Wharf-- the view is breathtaking. In fact-- do it once during the day and once at night! You also need to see Carsland at night in general! You definitely should ride RSR both during the day and at night too--- single rider usually is great for that ride. You will never be able to look at Test Track the same way again after RSR. RSR is far superior.

For some reason, the Churro's at DLR taste much better than the ones at WDW. They are a must for us (usually for breakfast).

Due to the amount of locals, the first couple of hours are wonderful with short lines at DLR- get there at opening.

Don't stress-- DLR is so much for flexible than WDW. It is very easy to go into the park without a plan and just go where the day takes you!

DLR still has the animation academy at CA- so if you liked it at WDW- then that may be a must do.

Do you have hoppers? It is so easy to hop at DLR-- it is like one big park by WDW standards.

I don't know where you are staying, but the Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotel are just a short walk from the parks and it might be fun to check those out to compare them to the WDW resorts. Really, to us, GC is just a scaled down version of WL. At DLH, you can stop by the original Trader Sams.

Will you have time to catch World of Color? WDW doesn't have anything like it. We really enjoy it.

Have fun!!!

We often find single rider at the Incredicoaster hit or miss. I generally only do that ride now with a Fastpass.

Also - Avoid Early Open. We did Magic Morning and I expected WDW EMH AM crowd - aka no to minimal lines - wrong! There were so many people at so few rides it was crazy - there was a 45 minute wait for Pinocchio - 2 hours later 5 minutes. I would start my day opposite that park now and I am an avid EMH AM person at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter