Any kiddie rides that are not suitable for a bad back?

ShelbyK

Mouseketeer
My stepmom will be joining us in WDW and just had back surgery and also has hip issues.. she obviously is not riding any of the faster rides and she is looking forward to taking my toddler on lots of things and having some quality time with her while everyone else does the bigger rides. So are there any not so obvious rides that she should avoid? The only parks she will be at are MK and AK. I read the safari is rough so she probably wont do that and I feel like that's a big one to miss out on ... what about things like Pirates or HM? Buzz Lightyear? I've watched some ride videos but it's very hard to tell how some of these rides actually feel. Thanks in advance!

My stepmom will be joining us in WDW and just had back surgery and also has hip issues.. she obviously is not riding any of the faster rides and she is looking forward to taking my toddler on lots of things and having some quality time with her while everyone else does the bigger rides. So are there any not so obvious rides that she should avoid? The only parks she will be at are MK and AK. I read the safari is rough so she probably wont do that and I feel like that's a big one to miss out on ... what about things like Pirates or HM? Buzz Lightyear? I've watched some ride videos but it's very hard to tell how some of these rides actually feel. Thanks in advance!
She should avoid the Barnstormer in MK. My husband has had back issues with it and now avoids riding it.

Should be fine on HM and Buzz, and anything that is an "Omnimiver" style ride (basically a string of cars on a looping conveyor system that all travel a constant and pretty slow speed). Pirates does have a drop but it's pretty shallow and gentle. The same for Frozen. Toy Story Mania makes sharp, spinning turns that can whip you around a bit, so I'd watch that. The Teacups could be of course, but it depends on how fast you spin your cup. If you don't get hands-on with it then it isn't too bad.

Have fun!

on PoC you have to step down and out of the boat... don't know how bad her hip issues are but that may be a concern.

That is a good point. Some rides, while not a rough ride, do require some step-down seating that can be difficult to get in or out of. Most of these are not the "kiddie rides" (Space Mountain, Test Track), but any of the boat rides like POTC, Forzen, and Small World are like that. Also, I might watch the Astro Orbiter if it is a concern.

The ride vehicles for the Winnie the Pooh ride in Disneyland are not very comfortable. The one at WDW might not be either. Not great for someone with back issues so I would cross that one off your list.

And Dinosaur. Dinosaur is rough and jerkey. Not good for soomeone with a bad back.

On Pirates, I have found if you lean forward, not let your back lay against the bench back, the drop is fine.

the boat rides besides the step down in and up out can be rough as the boats can bump together while waiting to unload. Buzz can be jerky between screens. I do not have a lot of problems with my back but the safari does bother my back. yes it can be that rough and I have been using the handicapped truck

I went in Nov 2017 with some back issues. I am not sure if you plan on going on it but Flight of Passage actually hurt me a lot because of the angle of the seat. It is a relatively tame ride movement wise but it was incredibly uncomfortable for me. Another surprising one was It's a Small World, the boats crash into one another at the end and the jerky movement did not make my back feel great...

Some boat rides can be jerky if the boats back up and bump into eachother like pirates, Frozen, or even Small World. Omnimovers are okay. The ride vehicles are spaced by the track. These include Little mermaid, Haunted mansion, The Land, The Seas with Nemo and friends, People mover, or boats with space like Jungle cruise. It really depends on the amount of "jerky" you can deal with. Barnstormer and Primevil Whirl have "jerkey' in their design. Check out the ride design. Omnimovers are okay, free floating, maybe not. Ride on a jerky or bumpy track should be avoided.

Definitely avoid Tomorrowland Speedway. The cars often run in to each other, and it can be brutal on a bad back.

I agree, plus the other cars can ram you from behind towards the end of the ride>:(. I would pass on that one.

Seems like everyone covered it. My daughter had a spinal fusion three years ago and tomorrow land speedway is definitely a terrible idea. This left her in pain our last day there. However, she had no problems with the safari.

I've ridden the Tomorrowland Speedway more times than I can count, and it has never bothered my back. twentyco calls it "brutal on a bad back." This would be proof positive that not all bad backs are created equal, and your stepmom will need to know what kinds of motions trigger her pains.

Pooh sometimes bothers me a bit, though not enough to make me not ride it. Primeval Whirl I won't even try, same with Dinosaur. Oddly enough, Toy Story is not great on my back, the sudden spin and stop makes my torso twist, and that gets me. I still ride it, but it isn't comfortable. I have the same relationship with the Safari in AK. I enjoy it, but depending on how the truck hits the bumps and ruts, sometimes I'm in pain when we get off it.

I've ridden 7 Dwarves many times with no problems. Big Thunder sometimes makes me a bit sore, but not always, and not enough to regret riding it. Expedition Everest didn't bother me a bit.

The things I have to be careful off are compression (like the bottom of the drop in Tower of Terror, which I won't ride) and twisting motions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter