Any ideas? MDE will not take any of my credit cards

dalmatian7

DIS Veteran
I am wondering if anyone here has ever had this issue. I am unable to complete any transactions in MDE or the app. I get to the payment page (even for dining reservations) and after I enter credit card details and click the "terms and conditions" I get the same message of "unknown error, try again later". It has been going on for a few weeks. The last transaction I was able to get through was the purchase of our magic bands. I had to make dining by phone. I have contacted both the site help desk (she had me clear cookies, go incognito, try different browsers etc and then escalated my concern, but no response since then) and the app help desk (they wanted me to check my credit card information, it all matches). I have tried three different credit cards (including my husbands).
I did have one snafu about a month before this happened. Our MDE account was always managed by me but under my husbands name so that were referred to as the "his last name" party because we don't have the same last name (no changes to address, email, phone). After I had linked our reservation for our upcoming trip that he is not coming on, I had decided I had better change the lead name (even though I had a profile (but not an account in my name). I changed his profile to my name (it has my birthdate on it anyway) and my profile to his name. This screwed up who was on the reservation and the website would not let me change it. So I called and in 5 seconds, they had the correct two people on the reservation, my DD12 and me.

Do you think there is something not linked somewhere? FWIW, I purchased the magic bands after the reservation screw up. I have everything booked but I am concerned that I am not going to be able to purchase Genie+ the first morning because of this. Also, I can't make any dining adjustments online. Its like 2006 over here. I figured I would ask here first because many of you travel often and with different groups.

As of this morning, I have removed any saved cards. I added my Disney Visa, in my profile and it took the card as my payment. Now when I get to the checkout screen, it says payment can not be verified. I have checked and reentered everything, zip code, address. I even changed the card holder name to the "Ms So and So" that it says on the card. Nothing. This is even my Disney CC. The card works, I bought gas this morning, there is no balance.

Does anyone have any ideas other then to wait for IT to respond? Should I call in again? We are still over 30 days out, but this is so annoying. I originally asked this on the CL thread but they thought this board may have some more insight. Thanks for any help or ideas anyone may have.

OP, instead of changing the name on what had been your DH's account, have you tried creating an entirely different account in your own name? You and your DH can definitely have separate accounts with each of you and your DD linked to the other's account. And you could still manage your DH's account as well as your own.

At this point, I'd give it a try, anyway. And I'd delete everything from my browser and my phone/tablet/whatever before starting, then start from scratch. I might also first restore your DH's name and info to the original account so that Disney IT wouldn't "think" you were trying to have two separate accounts for yourself.

BTW, Disney should be fixing this for you! They know--or should know--how all this works and how to fix your original problem.

I'm wondering if when you changed the profile name it created some ghosts in the machine.

Yes, I tend to agree. I doubt Disney’s IT can handle changing important identifying info on the account holder. OP, in the past, some posters have had to get whole new accounts for various reasons. Can IT close this account & just make him a new one? Then make your self your own account & link the 2. You might not want to do that til after this trip. The current reservation might not be able to be moved to a new account, since it’s already linked to someone. But I really think changing the account owner info screwed you up. I’d ditch that account & start new for both of you if that’s possible.

I’m thinking it’s basically a security error… trying to prevent someone from accessing credit payment system & info who may have hacked the account. Just my opinion, I have absolutely no IT knowledge.

Last edited:

Are you using the app? When I haven't updated my app, it won't take my cc info, and sometimes won't let me log in.
I'm sure you've already updated, etc., but it was worth mentioning! Hope you get it figured out!

Yes, I tend to agree. I doubt Disney’s IT can handle changing important identifying info on the account holder. OP, in the past, some posters have had to get whole new accounts for various reasons. Can IT close this account & just make him a new one? Then make your self your own account & link the 2. You might not want to do that til after this trip. The current reservation might not be able to be moved to a new account, since it’s already linked to someone. But I really think changing the account owner info screwed you up. I’d ditch that account & start new for both of you if that’s possible.

I’m thinking it’s basically a security error… trying to prevent someone from accessing credit payment system & info who may have hacked the account. Just my opinion, I have absolutely no IT knowledge.
OP, I'd like to take back something I said earlier. @focusondisney has made an important point--that the current reservation was probably made in the original name/account information before you changed it.

I would try to get this straightened out before you go on your trip, because if you want to purchase ILL$ or G+ while you're there it'll be nearly impossible for you to do without having access to a cc on whatever account you'd be using. Maybe completely impossible, since the most desired ILL$ and G+ selections sell out early and by the time you'd be done on the phone or at the front desk with someone, your choices might be sold out.

ETA: Yes, OP, you should call again and not get off the phone until you know for sure that your problem is solved, i.e., by actually booking something that will accept your cc after the person you speak with has resolved this issue. You might have to escalate to a higher authority if the person you speak with can't fix it.

Changing the name I think will cause problems and what @sponica, @focusondisney, and @Miffy are saying, I 100% agree.

OP I'd call ASAP and get IT to straighten it out before you go. Don't wait for them to call you.

DH was always managed under me until one year he made the resort reservation instead of me. What had happened was the reservation created a second "ghost" identity for him and it messed up everything with fast passes and other things I was trying to do. That was an IT fix, luckily we caught it before we got there, but they had to "split" his account out from the one I managed and all was good.

Disney IT has soooo many problems. I'm currently dealing with a huge glitch where my magic bands work everywhere except when tapping into a park. I'm not holding my breath for them to call me, I'm going to be calling them in about a month - I have no trip on the books, but I spent over 90 minutes at Guest Services getting it fixed in June for the same thing to happen again in September. Luckily I have a singular magic band that seems to work that IT worked some magic on. DD's new magic band did not work since I manage her account.

One tech blamed me having 6 1-day unused tickets sitting in my account. I think it's more along the lines that since I manage 4 people plus myself the system is full of years of magic bands and tickets for 5 people. I suspect their IT is overloaded and is rebelling against me, lol. I've seen others post that too many old tickets caused problems for them too. It might be better to split off your account and create one for you and one for DH.

I think the PP have some great suggestions on how to resolve it.
However, if for some reason it's not resolved before you go, I'd just buy enough Disney GCs to cover Genie + and Lightening Lanes so that you don't have an unpleasant surprise when you try to buy them. You can also just buy more digital gift cards in a pinch if you need to while you're there.
Just throwing that out there as a last resort solution. Hope you're able to get it resolved another way.

OP, I'd like to take back something I said earlier. @focusondisney has made an important point--that the current reservation was probably made in the original name/account information before you changed it.

I would try to get this straightened out before you go on your trip, because if you want to purchase ILL$ or G+ while you're there it'll be nearly impossible for you to do without having access to a cc on whatever account you'd be using. Maybe completely impossible, since the most desired ILL$ and G+ selections sell out early and by the time you'd be done on the phone or at the front desk with someone, your choices might be sold out.

ETA: Yes, OP, you should call again and not get off the phone until you know for sure that your problem is solved, i.e., by actually booking something that will accept your cc after the person you speak with has resolved this issue. You might have to escalate to a higher authority if the person you speak with can't fix it.

I think the PP have some great suggestions on how to resolve it.
However, if for some reason it's not resolved before you go, I'd just buy enough Disney GCs to cover Genie + and Lightening Lanes so that you don't have an unpleasant surprise when you try to buy them. You can also just buy more digital gift cards in a pinch if you need to while you're there.
Just throwing that out there as a last resort solution. Hope you're able to get it resolved another way.
Yes the ILL and genie + purchases are what have me really nervous. I have been trying to purchase MM and that won't work either. I don't think a gift card would even work, it won't take payment.

I am really annoyed with myself for changing the name after I linked the reservation. But what if I had gotten married and changed the name? It seems crazy that that would block out the entire account. Also, I have always paid with my credit card in his account so why the change now? Ugh, I am going to call on my lunch and see what luck I have. thanks

Yes the ILL and genie + purchases are what have me really nervous. I have been trying to purchase MM and that won't work either. I don't think a gift card would even work, it won't take payment.

I am really annoyed with myself for changing the name after I linked the reservation. But what if I had gotten married and changed the name? It seems crazy that that would block out the entire account. Also, I have always paid with my credit card in his account so why the change now? Ugh, I am going to call on my lunch and see what luck I have. thanks
Good luck to you! Please report back. I am rooting for you, as I'm sure everyone on this thread is.

And, btw, do NOT blame yourself. Put the blame where it belongs: on Disney IT. I mean that. And if you get someone who obviously doesn't know what they're talking about, escalate immediately. You don't have time to mess around with this.

As an experiment, log into shopdisney or any of the other websites and see what name pops up. The log on should work system wide.

As an experiment, log into shopdisney or any of the other websites and see what name pops up. The log on should work system wide.
oooo good idea! I forgot the name matches that. I did log in and it says my first name. I am almost tempted to try to buy something just to see if it works.

Disney IT was never able to get my Disney visa credit card to show up on MDE for 5 years (they lost money because I used my Citicard saved on my iPad instead) when they had me switch to a new account (said I had too many trips and magic bands - only 5 at that time and 3-4 MBs). I switched my phone to iPhone 13 and the app has my credit card info available now.

This time I applied a discount to an exisiting reservation and it messed up something. The system kept checking if I had tickets and couldn’t see past day 60 until 2 hours after ADR window opened up. Many of the good times were gone. It took me 4 hours to book 7 ADRs. Others who made similar package changes had the same issue. CMs told them it was because the system keeps the original reservation and number and then applies a discount which throws off the ADR system checking for tickets.

Hmmm, I had this same issue! I swear they know when you get a Disney Visa card, because as soon as I had the card, it quit taking all my other cards, just like yours, and the only one it would take was the new Disney visa, I’m sure it is just a coincidenc! Or is it!!! 😂😂 BAhahaha! (In my old witch voice)

This happened to me. I don’t remember the exact issue, but somehow when my husband was linking our magic bands he transferred my daughter’s account to be managed by him. I no longer saw her in my app. I called and the person I spoke with saw the issue immediately and fixed it in 2 minutes. To be honest I don’t fully understand what the problem was but whatever it was, it was an easy fix.

You've reached your lifetime spending limit for Disney??? (oh noooo) :faint: ;)

Consider creating an entirely new MDE account. You will need to use a different login email than the existing account. It might be worthwhile to discuss this approach with Disney IT before attempting. We know there can be multiple MDE accounts for a single street address. And there must be families with members with the same name (e.g. George Foreman).
  1. Try to add one of your credit cards to the new MDE account (maybe one that you really don't want to use for Disney).
  2. Try to make a dining reservation for 21 days from now.
This will verify that the Disney website is able to validate your credit card. And it will demonstrate that something is amiss with your current MDE account. If the new MDE account is working, then you may want to consider AFTER the upcoming trip, to have Disney IT remove the old account and you can start using the new account for future trips.

This same thing happened to me and after many calls and in person visits was told there is no fixing it unfortunately. Somehow my MDE and website profiles got out of sync and from that moment my profile became corrupt or was flagged as fraud. It didn't matter which card (cc, gift, or rewards) I tried to link, it didn't work even though I was able to enter and save the card in my profile.

There are different components of WDW technology. My profile credit card was fine for the hotel to charge on-site and to buy pre-arrival magic bands, but buying tickets, mobile ordering, G+, ILL, and dining reservations didn't work.

On one call with IT I was told it was fixed however when I got there and tried to book G+, no good. I went to GS at DHS and after over an hour, lots of back and forth about my card being bad, and a number of Cast Members trying to help with IT on the phone, they finally brought in a plaid who split out my husband's account from being managed by me to its own email and password. Now that is the one I have to use when I want to book something requiring a cc or cc guarantee. I received guest recovery G+ and ILL bookings for the day, so if you do have an issue I recommend speaking with someone.

You can also call the WDW number or stop at the front desk in the morning to purchase G+/ILL but that will take longer and you may miss out.

I can still login under my original profile, my tickets, memory maker, and MBs are all linked so I didn't have them remove it. Once G+ is purchased, you can use your profile to book attractions. I can also try for VQ on my profile.

If you split out the profile before your trip, as pp mentioned try booking dining with that profile to test.

This time I applied a discount to an exisiting reservation and it messed up something. The system kept checking if I had tickets and couldn’t see past day 60 until 2 hours after ADR window opened up. Many of the good times were gone. It took me 4 hours to book 7 ADRs. Others who made similar package changes had the same issue. CMs told them it was because the system keeps the original reservation and number and then applies a discount which throws off the ADR system checking for tickets.

I try to avoid modifying reservations whenever I can. If my trip is available for a discount, I book it and then cancel the original. I've had issues with modified reservations in the past.

Disney IT is a mystery. An old system layered with new components that in many cases don't work the way they should. For a company that bases their entire infrastructure on IT, it is a disgrace.

Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter