• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any ice cream cake ideas for an 11 yr old's birthday party?

Maritime Girl

Earning My Ears
My DD would love to have an ice cream cake for her birthday. The recipes that I have found have the ice cream on the top. Is there any way to make one that could be decorated with icing?

I read got the book, Top Secret REcipes by Todd Wilbur, out of the library, and in it was a recipe for an icecream cake. He said to make the cake with the icecream on top and the cake on the bottom, but to "frost" it with a layer of vanilla icecream. He says that's what they use at places like TCBY and Dairy Queen. So you could frost the cake with the icecream, and maybe use a buttercream icing for writing her name or something.

I always make a pampered chef one -
but there is not an actual CAKE it is just ice cream, whipped topping and candy bars...
but the top can be decorated...
you need a springform pan though

I once made an icecream cake but instead of using cake, it was layered with oreo cookies.You melt some butter and crushed up oreo cookies for the crust. (you may want to use a food procesor to make sure your oreos are chopped fine eough).
Put the crushed oreos and butter in a greased pan. Put in freezer till that layer is frozen.
Than add a layer of icecream. You may need to put your icecream in a bowl and microwave it for a few seconds so it is soft and easy to spread. freeze that layer.
Than add more crushed oreos, (no need to melt this layer with butter, you only do that for the bottom layer)
You freeze the cake each time you add a new later.

My aunt usually makes this cake with oreos and cookies and cream icecream, but I made it for a Christmas party this year and used the Mint oreos and pepermint stick icecream. It turned out real good.

Good Luck!

My family does ice cream cakes all the time. We top it off with either hotfudge or carmel depending on what the Bday person wants. We usually decorate with tube frosting or just M&M's (lots of little kids around). Just use a spring pan and make sure icecream good and frozen before topping with hot sauce or it is really difficult to cover.

DS's Birthday was last week and they wanted me to make them an ice cream cake. I had no clue what to do, so I ended up baking a yellow cake mix in 2 - 9" round cake pans. When they were cool I used dental floss to cut each one into two layers, so then I had 4 - 9" round cakes. Then I softened the boxed ice cream in the microwave for about 30 seconds and turned the ice cream out onto a dish and sliced that into layers. I then put the cake together by alternating cake and ice cream layers and frosted it with whipped cream. Everyone ended up liking it, and it was very easy to do.

This isn't exactly an icecream cake, but your post made me think of this recipe. Frozen Heaven I LOVE this dessert.

Thanks for the great ideas! I think I will incorporate a few of these suggestions. I made the first layer last night. I used crushed oreos and mixed it with chocolate sauce. I'm just hoping it comes out of the pan! Mixing the crumbs with the butter would have been a better idea. Tonight I'll add the chocolate mint icecream that she picked out. I found this magic shell chocolate sauce that I thought might work as the top layer. It is supposed to freeze instantly when it hits the icecream. We'll see. If not, I'll get some vanilla icecream and ice over it. She wants M&M's on it, so the vanilla may be a better choice anyway. Wish me luck!

when I was 8yo my aunt made me a 4-layer cake with ice cream. The cake layers were thin & white and in between the layers she had orange, lime and raspberry sherbet. I think what she did was cut two regular layers in half and spread three of them with softened sherbet, then put it in the freezer. When the layers were hard, she assembled it and frosted it with buttercream icing. To this day I vividly recall the look and taste of that cake. Thus began my long love affair with orange sherbet. :lovestruc

You want a really quick, easy and yummy ice cream cake recipe? Take 1 box of ice cream sandwiches (maybe two depending on size, 1 makes a square cake, 2 would make like 1/2 sheet cake size) get the magic topping, you know the chocolate sauce that gets hard when it gets cold? then 1 tub of cool whip (small or large depending on cake size). Unwrap and lay bottom layer of sandwiches, top with magic topping, then quickly put another layer on, repeat. I think it's about 3 layers. You may want to lay them out before you unwrap them to find out how big each layer shoudl be. Anyway, then frost with cool whip. It's so good and you can't tell what it is. IT looks like lots of layers of chocolate browie or cake and vanilla ice cream. Be sure to keep it in the freezer until you are ready to cut it though.

Merandab4 said:
I once made an icecream cake but instead of using cake, it was layered with oreo cookies.You melt some butter and crushed up oreo cookies for the crust. (you may want to use a food procesor to make sure your oreos are chopped fine eough).
Put the crushed oreos and butter in a greased pan. Put in freezer till that layer is frozen.
Than add a layer of icecream. You may need to put your icecream in a bowl and microwave it for a few seconds so it is soft and easy to spread. freeze that layer.
Than add more crushed oreos, (no need to melt this layer with butter, you only do that for the bottom layer)
You freeze the cake each time you add a new later.

My aunt usually makes this cake with oreos and cookies and cream icecream, but I made it for a Christmas party this year and used the Mint oreos and pepermint stick icecream. It turned out real good.

Good Luck!

That sounds absolutely delicious! Do you need specific quantities? If so could you PM me with the recipe? I've never seen an ice cream cake in the UK but I saw them in Dunkin Donuts in FL and they looked very yummy. Wouldn't mind having a go at making one some day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter