Any Holiday Rumors?

hollygolitely93

DIS Veteran
Any rumblings as to any NEW holiday entertainment options--with AK being open later; DS new sections; and HS losing Osbourne...wondering what the prevailing thought is on Holidays offerings around WDW?

A $75 event every other night at Magic kingdom...and the show at Epcot...until that becomes "too expensive"

I would expect - if anything - that they will start to curtail the operational expenses with the holidays over the next few years. It's a numbers game and they will want to yield higher walkaway profits during their highest price points.

Enjoy that gingerbread house while it lasts ;)

I would love to see something added to Animal Kingdom but personally I doubt it. A replacement of some kind for the DHS lights would be nice too but I won't hold my breath.

I keep thinking they will need to add something to draw people in like Osborne Lights did...or at least hoping...but planning for Nov/Dec has been tougher than usual so I don't need too many curve balls ;)

I don't think the Osborne lights were the boon that everyone seems to think they were.

There was a comparatively large amount of people who would pack in for the first 45 minutes every night...but then it was b line for the exit.

I can remember talk of operations "tolerating" it in 2001 and 2002...

And then talk of debating whether it was "worth it" to convert to LED or just scrap them...

They just don't tolerate these "loses" anymore...

Remember the archways in EPCOT?

Well...I do...and then they just went away.

They won't bother replacing Osborne for what will be 2 or 3 years...after that, it won't be a focus on Christmas at studios...even less so than now.

I don't think the Osborne lights were the boon that everyone seems to think they were.

There was a comparatively large amount of people who would pack in for the first 45 minutes every night...but then it was b line for the exit.

And then talk of debating whether it was "worth it" to convert to LED or just scrap them...

They won't bother replacing Osborne for what will be 2 or 3 years...after that, it won't be a focus on Christmas at studios...even less so than now.
I think the Osborne lights were definitely a draw for that park. Did they make people book vacations just for that? No. Did they get people to hop over to the park at night to see them? Yes.

I was fortunate to see them this January for the first and last time. If I was there while they were running I would most definitely have planned a night to see them.

4pm ppl with tickets can get in. 7pm the party starts. It's normally Nov-dec, three or 4 days a week. Everyone without a ticket is ushered out of the park at 7 pm.

The dates for the MVMCP are Nov 7, 8, 10,11,13,15,18, 27, 29 Dec 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 9, 11,13, 15, 16, 18 & 22. They were posted some time ago.

I think the Osborne lights were definitely a draw for that park. Did they make people book vacations just for that? No. Did they get people to hop over to the park at night to see them? Yes.

I was fortunate to see them this January for the first and last time. If I was there while they were running I would most definitely have planned a night to see them.

Actually, I did plan a trip just to see the Osborne lights....TWICE. I'd do it again if that was still an option.

The majority of people don't do that though.
I think that's the point, though. If people aren't planning special trips or extra days to see them, then it's no value to Disney. Someone who was going to come anyway, and is drawn into Hollywood Studios for a few hours one night to see the lights... that really doesn't gain anything monetarily for Disney.

It was so ridiculously crowded both times we saw the lights. It also didn't seem to quiet down until much later. People appeared to be buying large amounts of trinkets and treats that had to do with the lights too.

I don't think that this was due to a lack of crowds but instead a lack of location.

Actually, I did plan a trip just to see the Osborne lights....TWICE. I'd do it again if that was still an option.
I did this twice last year in December also. It was the best and favorite part of or trip. In our experience there was no break of people, it was packed at lights on to close

Wow is it bad I really didn't think this was something I was going to go to. I might want to check it out now but I did not think It would be such a big deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter