• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any good substitutes for Phillips CPAP?

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
With the pending recall, DW has been told to discontinue CPAP use, and as a result she is having great difficulty sleeping.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Side sleeping with 5-6 piled up pillows (and an extra large one at her back that keeps her from rolling off her side) and a cool mist humidifier 12 inches away? That's how I made it through my last pregnancy when I got sleep apnea the last few weeks...

Who told her to discontinue? Her doctor? Then he should be able to prescribe a new one.

When I went to the doctor (the one who put me on mine) Thursday, he said to continue using it. He said the benefits greatly outweigh the potential negative.

Who told her to discontinue? Her doctor? Then he should be able to prescribe a new one.

When I went to the doctor (the one who put me on mine) Thursday, he said to continue using it. He said the benefits greatly outweigh the potential negative.
Yes, her doc told her to discontinue until the unit is replaced by Phillips -- but of course, we have no idea when that will be.

There should be some sort of substitution. Call the respiratory supply center that she deals with, they should be able to help.
Agreed.

What did the doctor tell her to do in the meantime? I think he (the doctor) needs to be questioned if he just wants her to stop cold turkey with no replacement/fix in sight.

There should be some sort of substitution. Call the respiratory supply center that she deals with, they should be able to help.
She did, but we don't know what that timeline will be like. She's going to follow up more next week.

With the pending recall, DW has been told to discontinue CPAP use, and as a result she is having great difficulty sleeping.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm really surprised her doctor didn't suggest something else ASAP especially if she is struggling that much. :(

I'm really surprised her doctor didn't suggest something else ASAP especially if she is struggling that much. :(
I don't think her case is super-severe. She had an overnight sleep test where they detected the apnea, but apparently her doctor is satisfied that she'll be okay.

I don't think her case is super-severe. She had an overnight sleep test where they detected the apnea, but apparently her doctor is satisfied that she'll be okay.
If her case is not super severe she may also be a candidate for a sleep oral appliance. They can be made by a dentist. We make them in our dental practice and have had great success, especially with people who are non compliant with their c-paps. They help by repositioning the jaw at night to keep the airway open.

I would suggest the cool mist humidifier, breathe right strips and pillow propping to help her sleep better until the doctor gets back to you. She might also be missing the sound of the cpap--so maybe try a white noise app.

My DH has been told to keep using his Phillips and will be contacted about a replacement.

I use Phillips masks, but ResMed Air Sense 10 for my machine.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have to get after her to follow up with her doc.

wow, I had no clue about the recall..thanks for the heads up.. my son's machine is a Philips so I just sent him all the recall information. He needs his machine since his apnea is moderate.

DW eventually got tired of waiting and got a Res-Med several months ago. It's great and she loves it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter