Any good salad recipes??

waltdisneyworlddreamer

100% WDW Fanatic
We are having an anniversary luncheon for our church pastor on Sunday. I have been asked to bring a salad. I thought about pasta salad or 7 layer salad but am looking for somrthing a little different. Any suggestions?

What about a corn & bean salad? Can you get watermelons yet in Florida? There's a good recipe for Watermelon Rind Salad from Boma's. Do you have the recipe for Broccoli Salad? (with bacon & raisins/craisins) Or how about a carrot salad - shredded carrots, pineapple & raisins with a mayo dressing? Or what about a nice fruit salad? There was a thread here recently with a nice variety of different salads. Or of course there's the old Jello mold standby.

Deb

Corn & Bean Salad

15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
2 c frozen corn kernels
½ onion, finely diced
1 Tbl chopped fresh cilantro
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (optional)
1 red bell pepper, diced
¼ c olive oil
3 Tbl fresh lime juice
1 tsp ground black pepper salt to taste
½ tsp honey

In a large bowl, combine the black beans, garbanzo beans, corn, onion, cilantro, jalepenos, bell pepper, olive oil, lime juice, pepper, salt and honey. Mix well; refrigerate and allow flavors to blend. Yield: 6 servings
[NOTE: I usually substitute ~ 1/8 tsp Tabasco Sauce for the jalapeno peppers.]

Here are two of my favorites:

Veggie Salad

1 pkg bacon cooked and crumbled
1 pkg carrots peeled and diced
1 head broccoli chopped
1 head cauliflower chopped
1 large pkg shredded mozzarella cheese
1 bottle Seven Seas CREAMY Italian salad dressing.

Combine, chill and serve

Tortellini Salad

3 pkgs cheese tortellini (the small pkgs in the refrigerator/deli section) Cooked according to pkg directions and drained
1 head broccoli chopped
1 pkg carrots peeled and diced
1 small can sliced black olives drained
3 large tomatoes, diced
1 bottle Italian salad dressing

Combine chill and serve

The veggie salad sounds delicious. I might try this one. Where could I find the recipe for Watermelon Rind Salad. I couldn't locate it on disneyrecipes.com?

A friend brought this to a homeschool group meeting and it was delicious and DH enjoyed it also. I plan on making mine this weekend.

Cold Broccoli Salad

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar (or Equal to taste, I used 4 packs)
2 Tbs. vinegar
Mix above and refrigerate.
1 package fresh broccoli (I buy the florets already cut up, like the
packaged lettuce.)
1/2 cup walnuts (or 1/4 cup sunflower seeds)
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup red onions
Toss all with dressing and serve

I didn't have time to check for which of the URLs I got this from, but here's the recipe:

WATERMELON RIND SALAD
from Boma’s, AKL

Yield: 8 servings

2 lb Watermelon skin, sliced thinly

Dressing
1 c Ginger, sliced thin
1 c Sugar
1 c Rice Vinegar
1 c Grenadine
1 c Water

In a small pot, heat the dressing ingredients until the sugar melts. Remove from stove & let cool. Add sliced watermelon rind. Let marinate at least one hour.

I just remembered this one. It's from the 2002 Food & Wine Festival. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds wonderful to me!

Citrus Slaw
2002 Food & Wine Festival: Fresh From Florida

Citrus Vinaigrette
1 c olive oil
½ c white balsamic vinegar
½ c orange juice
1½ oz honey
¾ oz chopped fresh basil
¾ oz chopped fresh cilantro
1 pinch salt

Citrus Slaw
1 orange, cut into segments
¼ grapefruit, cut into segments
½ head cabbage, finely shredded

In a large bowl, mix vinegar, orange juice, honey, basil, cilantro and salt. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until all of the ingredients come together forming the vinaigrette. In a separate bowl, mix together the orange and grapefruit segments, and cabbage. Pour vinaigrette over the salad and chill for 30 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.

Absolutely love the broccoli salad!! I've had it minus the nuts and have also seen a recipes on allrecipes.com that uses sunflower seeds instead. Also like a cucumber and onion salad with creamy dressing. Just bring the mints.... ;)

Have a great day!
Lois

I actually like the Disney broccoli salad better than the traditional. It uses sunflower seeds & dried cranberries. It skips the bacon, but I put it in anyway. Yummy! ;) One time I had some "raspberry pieces" in the house & confused them with my craisins. Now THAT was excellent!

Deb

With warm weather season approaching -- if it hasn't gotten to you yet -- it's nice to see all these salad recipes on the board. :D

Here's one more...I made this a couple of weeks ago for the Teacher's Appreciation Luncheon at DD's school. Came home with any empty bowl :) This one is hearty, and it's basically like a sub sandwich in a bowl.

Little King Salad (Like the Little King's Subs place in Omaha, NE)

3 poppy seed rolls (I actually used about 3/4 a thin loaf of French bread)
3 or 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch Romaine lettuce, torn
1 onion chopped
6 oz. swiss or Provolone cheese, julienned or shredded will work
1/4 lb. shaved ham and/or turkey cut in strips
(I used turkey only because that was what I had)
1/4 lb. salami or pepperoni thinly sliced ( I used both)

Dressing:

3/4 c. oil
1/4 c. tarragon vinegar
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Mix the above well. Shake before pouring

Pull apart rolls or bread into bite-size pieces. Combine everything else for salad. Pour dressing over salad right before serving, and lastly mix in bread pieces.

In Baltimore there is an area called "Little Italy" where there are many upscale Italian restaurants. When in college, my sister in law's sister dated one of the chef's of an Italian restaurant there that is famous for it's salad. One time while whispering in her ear, she coerced him into whispering this recipe :p . To protect the innocent, I've changed the name! ;) This is incredible and I crave it all the time! I would keep the dressing seperate and toss just a few minutes before serving.

Salad Ingredients:
1 head of lettuce [tear in bite-size pieces]
½ cup chopped (purple) onion
2 chopped hard-boiled eggs
1 minced clove of garlic

Dressing:
½ tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
½ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
½ cup finely grated romano cheese
1 packet of sugar or Equal
½ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup extra virgin olive oil

Prepare salad ingredients, cover and refrigerate.
Mix dressing ingredients, cover and refrigerate.
Toss salad and dressing JUST before serving.

Makes 4-6 servings.*

(*I always double this recipe to serve 12-15 people)

ENJOY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter