• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any Good Home Remedies for Sinusitis?

Nettle leaf - available as a tea, capsules, or tincture. I like the tea; my husband prefers the capsules for ease of use. Gaia is an excellent brand for capsules and tincture, though more expensive than others.

My DD swore by Tylenol Sinus when she had a bad sinus infection recently. (And we’re not big Tylenol people.)

DH always used a Neti Pot but there was some literature recently that advised caution when using them. You can use saline wash spray instead (if you’re worried about it).

Agree with humidification.

Covid can do funny things and cause funny sensations. One of the reasons people lose their sense of taste and smell is because it can affect nerves in the head, but for most people those types of things subside after a month or so. Just saying that could be part of the sensations you’re having, especially if no fever or anything like that that often comes with a sinus infection. I hope you feel better soon. :flower3:
My ENT says that my tinnitus is because of nerve damage from Covid.

OP, if you have muffled hearing you may want to see an ENT in a couple of weeks of it continues. When I first had Covid I was told to use Flonase to help open up my eustastion tubes. Unfortunately that was not my problem.

My ENT says that my tinnitus is because of nerve damage from Covid.

OP, if you have muffled hearing you may want to see an ENT in a couple of weeks of it continues. When I first had Covid I was told to use Flonase to help open up my eustastion tubes. Unfortunately that was not my problem.
Great...:guilty: So far it just seems like a bit of crackling and moments of being plugged then being okay. Just keeping my fingers crossed that this is just normal, run-of-the-mill post-respiratory infection stuff.

I'd combine your pseudoephedrine with guaifenesin; that thins the gunk to help it run out. (Behind-the-counter Mucinex D has both of these in a combo w/ no extra analgesic. Walgreens and CVS sell generics.)

I would also try switching to fluticasone spray instead of Nasacort; I find it works much better for me (Flonase or the generic. Nasacort is triamcinolone, which I find useless for this.) If that doesn't work, I second grading up to budesonide, which normally requires a scrip.

Personally, I find that nasal rinses seem to make sinus inflammation worse. They are great at getting out hardened gunk (especially dust after working outside), but if swelling is the problem I find them counterproductive.

Lastly, order in some good spicy Chinese food if your tummy can take it. It's delicious and opens sinuses up instantly.
One reason I didn't use Flonase (fluticasone) was because I used it many years ago and ended up getting back headaches from it (not right away but after continued use). So I shied away from it this time but I do think you're right, I think it works better.

As to irrigation making the inflammation worse--also something I was pondering. I think irrigation is FABULOUS when you've got "gunk" as you say. It feels so good to loosen it up and move it--I just don't have any "gunk" like that as far as I can tell so I'm wondering what the irrigation is doing for me. I am using distilled water and a NeilMed solution so it's hypotonic but saline water can sometimes be irritating to me also. Gosh I just don't know!!

Great...:guilty: So far it just seems like a bit of crackling and moments of being plugged then being okay. Just keeping my fingers crossed that this is just normal, run-of-the-mill post-respiratory infection stuff.
I hope you’re right!

I second seeing an ENT. Several years ago I had an ear infection with fluid that didn’t clear after an antibiotic. The ENT prescribed azelastine nasal spray. It helped clear the fluid in the inner ear.

I second seeing an ENT. Several years ago I had an ear infection with fluid that didn’t clear after an antibiotic. The ENT prescribed azelastine nasal spray. It helped clear the fluid in the inner ear.

I actually have some of that nasal spray. Just 2 weeks ago when my congestion was SO bad and the post nasal drip so bad I couldn't stop coughing, my GP prescribed on a telehealth visit (I was calling about the vicious sore throat). At that point in my acute phase, it didn't really do anything but maybe I'll retry it again for this lingering phase.

For an immunity boost (which can help you get better faster) I swear by Oil of Oregano. It's a powerful natural antibiotic. About 10 years ago hubby and I started using it whenever we get sick , and we haven't had to go to the doctor for an antibiotic once in all that time. Before that, we each typically got one or two antibiotics prescriptions each year.

To be fair, we haven't had Covid, so I can't speak to that.

It's kind of gnarly to take - the method we use is putting several drops under the tongue, hold it there for as long as we can (usually about 30 seconds), wash it down with a lot of water, and we like to have something with a strong flavor to eat immediately after to get rid of the taste (Cheetos are my favorite thing for this).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter