Any good Black eyed pea recipes?

babylisa4

Mouseketeer
Well, I guess we will all be wanting some good luck for 2002. Does anyone have any great black eyed pea recipes? Or just anything that would be better than just opening the can?

Try this one. Quick, easy and very good. This is my South Louisiana favorite. Gotta have it every new year. For those not from Louisiana you may want to watch the pepper.

Black-eyed Pea Jambalaya
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound andouille, chopped (Spicy cajun sausage, and polish sausage will work)
1/2 pound tasso, chopped (Very spicy pork loin, alot of heat, flavor will be missed if left out)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (wait to last and season to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 can Rotel™ tomatoes (more spice = hot)
2 medium onions, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 pods garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
2 15-ounce cans black-eyed peas (Trappy's jalapeno work the best, skip jalapeno above)
4 cups cooked rice

Melt butter in skillet and brown chopped andouille and tasso. Stir in the seasonings, Rotel™ tomatoes, onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Saut*e for 10 minutes. Add bay leaves, jalapeño pepper and peas. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add cooked rice and simmer 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves before serving. Enjoy!

http://www.rogerscajunkitchen.com/archive/fav41.html

We always do a black-eyed pea dip. No one at our house likes them, but hey it's a New Year and we need the luck! I can't believe we're from down here and don't like them but here's what we do to "doctor them up" so we can eat them...

1 can Ranch Style Brand Black Eyed Peas with Jalapeno Peppers (drain and mash)

1/3 cup chopped green onions

1 cup butter melted

1 lb. velveeta cheese, cubed

1 4 ounce can chopped green chilies (drained) or one can Ro-Tel undrained

I combine all of these in a bowl and put in the microwave to melt the cheese.

A lot of people make "Hoppin John" I don't have a recipe handy for it, but I am sure someone does, and also "Texas Caviar" which is a chunky style salsa recipe.

Happy New Year and Good Luck!
Candi

Black-eyed peas for good luck?!?!?!? I've never heard of that one. Around here it's pork & sauerkraut. Yum! I just put mine in the crock pot. Unfortunately, I'll have to listen to the kids complain the rest of the day - or have them hide in their rooms. ;) They HATE the smell of sauerkraut, so this year I cut the pork in half & am doing theirs with beans & mine with the kraut. Can't wait! :D :D :D

d

Here is my Cowboy Caviar. It's yummy.

Cowboy Caviar

2 14 oz. cans black-eyed peas, drained
1 16 oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 11 oz. can sweet corn, drained
1 14 oz. can Rotel tomatoes (sometimes I use 2 cans)
1 4 0z. can chopped green chilies or 1-2 jalapenos
1 4 oz. sliced ripe olives, drained
1 onion, chopped (I prefer mine cooked)
1 avocado, diced
chopped fresh cilantro, to taste
1 bottle Italian salad dressing

Mix all canned ingredients, draining those that require it. Add onion, cilantro and avocado. Pour Italian dressing over all until you get the desired consistancy. Chill at lest an hour for flavors to blend. Serve with tortilla or corn chips.

I also have a good hoppin john recipe. I'll look for it for you.

Hmmm. Can't find my recipe right this second. Here is a recipe from recipegoldmine:

HOPPING JOHN

1 C. dried black-eyed peas
1/4 lb. salt pork, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 c. uncooked regular rice
1 T. butter
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper, to taste

Pick over peas; wash thoroughly. Place in a heavy saucepan; cover with water. Soak overnight; drain. Add salt pork, green pepper and onions. Cover with water and simmer 2 hours or until peas are tender.

Cook rice according to package directions. When peas are done and water has cooked very low, add remaining ingredients. Cover and cook over low heat until all liquid is absorbed. Serve hot. Yields 4 to 6 servings.
---------------
Mine is a variation of this that wouldn't be hard to figure out. You can use canned bep's if you haven't pre-soaked them. I include crisp crumbled bacon and canned tomatoes, but leave out the salt pork and butter. My kids aren't crazy about beans, but they love hoppin' john. I also fix a batch of cornbread to go with it.

Almost forgot to mention that tomato should always be added after the beans are cooked. I speak from experience. . . it makes them tough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter