• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any fellow ride chickens out there who have ridden RnRC and/or MS orange?

happydays3563

Earning My Ears
These are the only two rides at Disney that I haven't conquered, and I really want to get the courage to do them both on my next trip. I've never had issues with motion sickness before, so my only issue is just being afraid.

I'm mostly just a coaster chicken though. I've always done fine on motion simulators...they don't scare me and again, I never have issues with motion sickness. Spinny rides don't bother me either (other than just feeling dizzy and needing to sit for a minute or two after getting off). I can ride Star Tours, Soarin', and Primeval Whirl with no issue, and can pretty much spin the teacups as fast as they'll go. I have done the green side of Mission Space and of course it was fine. I've also ridden a gravitron ride with no problem. So I've wondered whether I should do MS orange. All the warnings they have posted throughout the queue still freak me out even though I've never had problems with motion sickness. I've also seen some people who claim they never had motion sickness before, but MS orange was a totally different story. I'm also a little worried about the tight space. I can be a little claustrophobic. I definitely noticed what a tight space it was when I rode green, but it wasn't enough to bother me. I'm just worried that the sensations you get on orange (like pressure on your body) combined with the tight space might freak me out. I'm just so on the fence about trying orange...it sounds like a cool experience IF you can stomach it! And even as a "chicken", green almost didn't seem quite thrilling enough. I just don't want to get on orange, and then feel sick, feel like I'm going to pass out/die, or get freaked out by the tight space and be stuck on the ride!

And again...I've always been a coaster chicken. I refused to ride them throughout my childhood, but when I was 15 and went on a school trip to Six Flags over Georgia, my friend convinced me to get on a couple...the Dahlonega Mine Train which was a more family-friendly coaster, and the Georgia Cyclone, which was a more intense one, but it was a wooden one (so no loops, and I don't recall any enormous drops). I braved another wooden coaster called Thunderhead when my family went to Dollywood. I remember the initial drop (which was about 100 feet) being terrifying and making me question whether I should have gotten on, but the rest of the ride was a breeze (just going fast through banked turns and maybe some small drops here and there, which I can handle). As for Disney coasters, for a long time I would only ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, but on my last trip I conquered Space Mountain and Expedition Everest. Shockingly, I even got myself on Tower of Terror (drop rides always seemed even more terrifying to me than roller coasters). I was proud of myself and so glad that I did all three. TOT was definitely the most intense one for me and while I'm glad I did it once, I'm not that wild about going on it again, especially because of the randomized drop sequence (when I went on, we dropped 4 times which I tolerated, but I've read that it can potentially drop up to 7 or 8 times and I think I'd pass out at that point! :eek:). I got a little freaked out at how dark Space Mountain was as we were going up the lift hill, but I decided I was just going to pretend like I was in space and have fun! And I did :) Everest was awesome too, but I'll admit the backwards part freaked me out a little at first! That was also the first roller coaster that made me dizzy...not while I was on the ride but as soon as I stepped off of it. :confused3 Still wasn't sick to my stomach at all though, and the dizziness went away after a minute or so.

So, I would like to try Rock n' Roller Coaster, but the launch and the fact that there are inversions make me nervous. I've never ridden any coaster with a launch or inversions before. I've watched a video of it with the lights on. The initial launch and loop just look so intense, but then the rest of the ride doesn't look that bad, and there aren't even any big drops, so maybe I can just get through the beginning and enjoy the rest, kind of like I did on Thunderhead? The thought of going upside down still just scares me though! Are the inversions/launches any worse than the backwards section on Everest? I just feel like Everest and those wooden coasters I've ridden are pretty much my limit when it comes to coasters, so I'm just wondering how much worse RnRC is than those, and if I can handle it.

So based on what I've conquered already, can I handle these two rides? And I'd love to hear any fellow chickens' experiences on these rides. :)

You won't know about mission space orange until you go. I don't get motion sickness, I love all Rollercoasters, I can ride the teacups, Star Tours, Soarin, FoP, etc with no issue at all. However mission space orange imo is the most intense ride I've ever been on.

I've ridden every coaster at WDW, Busch Gardens, Universal/IoA, multiple Six Flags, and Sea World.. And mission space orange was more intense. That's the only ride I thought I was actually going to puke on. Didn't puke but I left that ride not feeling to good.

But with that said, you won't know until you try it. So go ride it. I've also never done mission Space green side.

For RnR, it's a very mild coaster. The launch is probably the best part. It's steel so it's smooth, the loop and corkscrews are easy. If you've never been inverted on a coaster then it can seem intimidating, but it's not bad at all. If you were to close your eyes you'd likely not know your upside down. You're not falling upward into the harness, it's just very smooth and over quickly.

You should have no issue with Rockin Rollercoaster

The warnings at Mission Space are more intimidating than the ride itself. The key to Mission Space Orange is to keep your eyes focused on the screen. Do NOT look from side to side. Do NOT close your eyes. Watch the screen, breathe deeply, and enjoy yourself. It truly is an experience. Once you go Orange, you will never be satisfied with Green again.

With Rock n Roller Coaster, put your head against the headrest. It counts down from 5, but it goes on 2. It is a VERY smooth coaster. Hold on and experience it.

Have a wonderful time conquering those last two attractions.

I’m a ride chicken and love both Mission Space Orange and RnR. RnR isn’t any worse than Expedition Everest. Mission Space Orange isn’t a big deal. Much more fun than Green!

I cannot stand inverts on roller coasters but I love RNR. There isn't the initial incline with the tick ticks and then the big drop which freak me out, the burst at the begining is so much fun. For the rest of it, it's dark and on the inverts they have signs that are orientated so you can read them properly lit up with black lights so you don't feel that vertigo feeling. First time I was going to go on there was a very small child beside me and he told me I was going to be fine, and I was.

You won’t know unless you do them. You seem to want to ride.

I personally don’t want to ride orange, so I don’t. :)

And I don’t like rnrc so I don’t ride that anymore. I end up with my ears banged up from the sides of the restraint, and I dislike the launch. I like inversions, but not in corkscrew form! I’m a chicken, but I’d rather do hulk and rip ride rockit at Uni than rnrc. Not sure why. Just don’t care for it.

But if you want to ride them, do it.

I'll give my two cents.

For MSOrange, I hadn't been on that side since it first opened until last month. You don't feel the spin at all, but you do feel the pressure. For me, I was ready for the feel of 0 gravity about 1-2 seconds before the 3 or 4 Gs let up, so I was relieved it wasn't any longer than it was. I wasn't feeling nauseous, just was ready for the pressure to ease up. I would do it again, but couldn't do it back-to-back like other simulator rides.

RnR coaster is a BLAST! As others have said, it's so smooth, but it is FAST. I think you'll really like it, but it is in the dark. I guess you could still pretend you're in space, but it'll have to be a city in space. Have fun!

I am not a ride chicken and love RNRC. The beginning makes me nervous but I think they designed it that way to build the anticipation.
I rode mission space orange one time and almost passed out 3x during the centrifuge part. My knees felt like jelly and I saw spots. Only coughing and clenching my abs kept my conscious. It's not for me! I'm happy to do green side but never orange again

I hated Mission Space orange. Claustrophobia was terrible. I would never ride it again!

We rode MS when it was new, so only one form of the ride. My then DS9 and I had to literally talk each other through the ride the Gs were so intense. We both started to panic. I don't even remember the actual ride as I tried to just make it through it and help my son through it as well.

If our DD9 wants to ride it, I'm going to suggest the green version to start with.

Now RnR, that was a blast! It's super smooth and fast and it will be over before you even realize it. I love the coasters that have the bars that come over you. I hate feeling like I'm coming up out of my seat.

You're overthinking this (evidence the length of your OP). Just do it. If you don't like it, don't do them again.

Yep, this. Your post makes it clear, at least IMO, that you're way overthinking it. You said you don't get motion sickness, it's just fear. Well, like I told my kids when they were scared to try these rides...you're not going to die and you're not going to get hurt (unless you have some pre-existing neck/back issues or something)...worst that's going to happen is you won't like it and disaster case scenario you get sick to your stomach. So just get on it and do it.

I just rode RNR for the first time in August and loved it! What finally convinced me to go was my son who said that the g-forces on Everest when you're going backwards are stronger than on RNR and he was right! My favorite part is the inversions and it is now my favourite ride. Don't miss out on that one it's way too much fun. Mission Space was fine - no issues there at all.

Ride chicken checking in!! I LOVE Rock and Roller Coaster, and I'm usually afraid of coasters. It's VERY smooth and I would say the worst part is the launch. What I've learned is to combat that weird stomach feeling, keep your head back, clench your abs and push your feet into the floor hard. It definitely works for me! I still get the fluttery feeling but much less so. It is one of my absolute favorites of any park, anywhere. It may also help that I am a huge Aerosmith fan too! There are also no drops except one tiny bunny hill at the end that I personally barely feel. If I thought it was terrible I would be totally honest, because as a person afraid of rides, I would hate to be duped into doing something terrifying. I think you will do fine!

I cannot speak to Mission Space Orange, but I plan to attempt it on my 30th birthday trip in June. I vote to try them both!

I am 100% ride chicken and did ride RnRC. My loving family talked me into it by tempting me with the sights and sounds of Aerosmith. I had not ridden a roller coaster in like 30 years.

It's fast and it's smooth. It's over in just a very short time. If you close your eyes, you won't know when you go upside down at all. But if you close your eyes you don't see all the neat stuff. My darling son read all the signs to me.

My husband kept telling me that at take off it may take a moment to catch my breath so I had this vision of it holding me back and honestly making it hard to breathe. I had to finally convince myself that I could breathe about half way through the thing.

Honestly though it's not that bad. Preferred it over BMRR (that they swore I would love after RnRC). I won't say I suddenly love it but would ride it again.

Try it. It really is over in a short time.

If you're nervous about RnR, try to sit toward the front of the limo. While it is a smooth coaster, I found that there's a pretty big difference between the back and the front, and the front is a lot smoother, plus you can experience the road signs and such better since you see them before you're passing them. It really is not an intense coaster, the launch is great but once you get going, it's not super fast and there are no big drops and it's not quite AS dark as Space Mountain (though it's close!). The inversion is not really anything to be nervous about, by the time you realize it, it's over!

If you're nervous about RnR, try to sit toward the front of the limo. While it is a smooth coaster, I found that there's a pretty big difference between the back and the front, and the front is a lot smoother, plus you can experience the road signs and such better since you see them before you're passing them. It really is not an intense coaster, the launch is great but once you get going, it's not super fast and there are no big drops and it's not quite AS dark as Space Mountain (though it's close!). The inversion is not really anything to be nervous about, by the time you realize it, it's over!

Very interesting. Wouldn't say you're right or wrong, as IMO coasters are a lot of sensory perception, which is a very individual thing. For me, RnR is the one coaster where it really doesn't matter...from a sensory standpoint...where you sit. That's because it doesn't climb and crest hills on a chain or have major drops. Like you said, it's very smooth after initial launch, so to me it feels the same front or back. I personally very much love the back, because I think it's really cool to see the rest of the limo doing a barrel roll in front of me before I go over.

OP, RnR does flip 3 times, so just be ready. One back flip and two barrel rolls/cartwheels. It's not as intense as that sounds, but it does happen.

Very interesting. Wouldn't say you're right or wrong, as IMO coasters are a lot of sensory perception, which is a very individual thing. For me, RnR is the one coaster where it really doesn't matter...from a sensory standpoint...where you sit. That's because it doesn't climb and crest hills on a chain or have major drops. Like you said, it's very smooth after initial launch, so to me it feels the same front or back. I personally very much love the back, because I think it's really cool to see the rest of the limo doing a barrel roll in front of me before I go over.

It's possible that I noticed more because I hadn't been on the ride in a long time and my re-entry to it was in the very last car, but I found it to be jerkier and harder to keep my head back. I went on it again right after and sat at the front and it felt much smoother to me, but it's possible I was able to anticipate a little better and was better prepared and that helped too.

I've only ridden MS: Orange and I despised it. Prayed for it to be over the whole time- I felt super nauseous and had a small anxiety attack.

I haven't rode RnR. I just REALLY don't like those Gs.

I'm a partial chicken. I used to really like RnR but find as I get older, I like it less and less. Tend to avoid it now. Not sure why, maybe the launch. But I like all the other coasters in WDW. I also avoid MS Orange, too intense. I liked the old green version (new one is boring IMO). Still, I'm happy that I've been on both so I know that I'm good skipping them. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter