Any fellow Canadians headed down during hurricane Irma?

Terrarankin

Earning My Ears
Well we are scheduled to drive down from Ontario on September 14th, stay in Charlotte NC 1 night and reach Orlando on the 16th. I'm really not sure what to expect, and this is our first time driving. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

Trying not to be overly gloomy, but I am not sure that this is the time to go. Irma is a very big storm, and there are weather models predicting at least two different paths for the hurricane to take once it hits Florida.
It will be a lot clearer what the situation is in a few days.
Do you have a backup plan for your vacation?

OP, the Canadian government now has travel advisories posted for much of Florida, and parts of some adjoining states. I suggest you closely monitor the Canadian government website at travel.gc.ca

WDW is closed today and tomorrow.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/hurricane-irma-info/

It should be back to normal by next weekend. However, your drive will also be joined by tens of thousands of Floridians trying to get home. You should bring extra food and bags for pee in case you are stuck on a highway for a few hours.

I would not do that drive if I have little children in the car. But everyone's comfort level is different.

By Tuesday or Wednesday we'll have a better view of the situation. Currently Irma has the potential to disrupt a lot of infrastructure in FL. Roads and bridges, power grid, availability of gasoline, food and water...

I may, unfortunately, have to make the drive down for cleanup and salvage efforts if Irma decimates Port Charlotte, as some models are predicting. My parents' winter home is in Zone A-RED down there and it could get very ugly. If that happens, I'm not expecting a normal drive. Our van will be stocked with food, water and some camping/survival gear. :(

My son and his girlfriend are scheduled to fly from Toronto on Sunday thr 17th. We are just hoping for the best possible outcome for Florida at this point, and praying for our friends who live there.

This is his first grown up trip to Orlando without mom and dad, and his girlfriends first time to Florida ever. It will be horribly disappointing to them if their much anticipated plans are cancelled. Friends of theirs are also going, but driving rather than flying. I can't help but wonder if their commute will be problematic......how far north will Irma travel before she loses steam? The friends planned to depart Thursday, as they are bringing their 3 year old and expecting to make regular stops

Well we are scheduled to drive down from Ontario on September 14th, stay in Charlotte NC 1 night and reach Orlando on the 16th. I'm really not sure what to expect, and this is our first time driving. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

I think you'll be okay by then, unless things in Orlando go far worse than expected at this point. Keep an eye on the boards here; it's pretty much all anyone is talking about, and if there is significant damage to WDW, or damage elsewhere that makes it difficult to get to WDW, you'll hear about it for sure.

It's probably wise to assume that traffic will be worse than normal. But not everyone will return at the same time, and I would guess that most will want to return as soon as possible, so you might be behind the worst of it.

Thanks for everybody's replies! We are forging ahead as planned, we know the traffic might be a lot worse but we will deal with it when the time comes. Happy travels to everybody

I will drive east as soon as possible since Irma is set to go north just west of the I-75 during the week.

Are you staying in a WDW hotel onsite? I would check with reservations. Currently they probably have a lot of people in rooms that were scheduled to leave but with airports closed will not be able to get out and have to stay a few extra days to get a flight out.
Roads will be a mess. Don't plan on street signs being up. I've been going to Florida in August for years. My mom lives in Ft Lauderdale. I've gone down a year after a hurricane and many street signs were still not up. There will be lots of flooding.
I'd postpone if you can.
Also don't expect food or water on shelves in stores. I left Ft Lauderdale Wednesday, and store shelves were getting pretty empty, and many gas stations running out of gas.

I have family who evacuated out of Tampa and they are waiting to hear when they can come back into the state. Millions of others in the same boat. Roads into the state will need to be cleared and power is out for over five million residents. They had to go to five gas stations to refuel when they left Friday. I imagine it will be the same when 6 million people are trying to make their way back in. Gas stations without power can't provide gas. You can only do what you feel is right but there is no way I would attempt to drive my family into the state any time soon.

Are you staying in a WDW hotel onsite? I would check with reservations. Currently they probably have a lot of people in rooms that were scheduled to leave but with airports closed will not be able to get out and have to stay a few extra days to get a flight out.

I have a question about that (not specifically related to Irma but hotels in general). What happens if you have a reservation staring today (as an example) and people are still there because their flight was cancelled. Is the hotel not required to honour your reservation? I would think those with the cancelled flight would be the ones who need to make new arrangements.

I have a question about that (not specifically related to Irma but hotels in general). What happens if you have a reservation staring today (as an example) and people are still there because their flight was cancelled. Is the hotel not required to honour your reservation? I would think those with the cancelled flight would be the ones who need to make new arrangements.
I doubt it would be any problem in Orlando right now. Most hotels would be inundated with cancellations, and once people start getting in, they will also be getting out. It is unlikely that they wouldn't be able to manage.

I have been in a hotel that was overbooked (South America, not Orlando), and they offered relocation to a different (better) hotel with added inducements to all guests; they had no problem accommodating everyone. We had already been there a week, and jumped at the offered benefits plus our second week at a nicer location.

I think Bankr63 has a point, people will be stuck at hotel, but those with oncoming res will not be able to get in.
I was in south Florida until last Wednesday and they were evacuating hotels.

Right now there's a travel advisory for I-75 in FL as it might be closed because of flooding north of Gainesville.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter