• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any experience with Duke University?

daemom

DIS Veteran
Specifically the Urology Dept? We're being referred there and wondering what to expect. Will we go and they'll take info and tell us to come back for testing in 6 weeks?

I know nothing about duke, but I had a very good experience with a university based doctor because they are a lot less rushed. The basically get half the patients the private hospitals take. My guess its not going to be take a pill and come back in two weeks

I know nothing about duke, but I had a very good experience with a university based doctor because they are a lot less rushed. The basically get half the patients the private hospitals take. My guess its not going to be take a pill and come back in two weeks

That's exactly what it seems like we've been doing--take a pill and come back later.

No but good thoughts for you.

Thank you so much! Our family doctor is very cautious and he's like us in that we're tired of messing around trying this pill, trying this test. CT scan looks fine, cytoscopy coming up soon. Hopefully we'll have several reports to take with us.

My family goes to Duke for many things. Have never had a bad experience and have never felt jerked around there. No experiences with their urologists, but they should have excellent credentials. Hoping the visit goes well and everything is taken care of quickly.

Duke University Medical is one of the premier medical facilities in the country. They have been leaders in discovering not only cures, but, procedures for correcting problems. I am hooked up with the VA which has it's facility immediately across the road from Duke Hospital. All the attending and learning physicians are part of the VA here in Durham N.C. I currently am a patient at the Urology department due to Prostate Cancer and a Kidney Stone that I had last year. They have been nothing, but, diligent and professional in the treatment. I have input and they listen to my concerns and answer them in a straight forward and respectful manner. I very strongly endorse them. The Duke hospital also was where my 9 month old granddaughter had surgery for a tethered spine that was a complete success and the care that they took with that little one, was phenomenal.

The Duke hospital also was where my 9 month old granddaughter had surgery for a tethered spine that was a complete success and the care that they took with that little one, was phenomenal.

My DD was born at Duke and had heart surgery performed there a few short years later.

Last edited:
Nothing but good things are ever said about Duke University Hospital. As goofyernmost stated many of the Duke doctors/med students work in the VA system. My dad had agent orange related prostate cancer and doctors from Duke performed his surgery at the VA hospital in Asheville, NC.

Thank you all so much for your reassuring experiences. We're just waiting for the referral to come through........

Another positive for Duke. Being local to Duke and UNC we have used both. Both have wonderful, knowledgeable doctors. My mom was diagnosed at Duke in ten minutes by a neurologist with a very rare disease called PSP. They were incredible and through the years before mom passed they always took the time to address any concerns we had. We even had doctors call just to check up on her. Good luck, I think you will be in good care.

Sometimes it depends on the test being performed. My other half works in a medical lab. His department is highly specialized, and sometimes the tests just take longer to result out. It's not always the fault of the test itself. Duke is amazing, but sometimes very specific tests require extra time. For example, if you have samples drawn which are sent to another lab, that's an overnight trip at best. Then depending on how long the test takes to process, add time for that.

Once you're there, the department should be able to give you a time frame estimate for when your results should be available. Don't be afraid to ask. And if the results haven't come back by the expected date, then don't be afraid to call and politely inquire about an update. Just remember that many doctor's offices call with results at times that work for them, which sometimes means lunchtime or after the office has called.

Good luck!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter