• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any Disney cruisers sailed Celebrity?

borgthe

DIS Veteran
My family, consisting of me, hubby, my 8 year old and my 11 year old, were going to go on a Disney Alaska cruise in 2015. The price for an inside cabin would be about $4500. Well, my friend found a deal on Celebrity cruising the inside passage, which is supposed to be a more scenic cruise, for just $1000. For all four of us!!! So, do I do it? Will the kids enjoy it? Thanks all.

My family, consisting of me, hubby, my 8 year old and my 11 year old, were going to go on a Disney Alaska cruise in 2015. The price for an inside cabin would be about $4500. Well, my friend found a deal on Celebrity cruising the inside passage, which is supposed to be a more scenic cruise, for just $1000. For all four of us!!! So, do I do it? Will the kids enjoy it? Thanks all.

I've only sailed Celebrity once, years ago before I had kids. I enjoyed it then, not sure about kids.

But I too am looking to do Alaska in 2015 and I thought the only cruiseline with released 2015 dates was NCL. How did you get dates on Celebrity, are they doing some sort of early release to gold cruisers?

We've sailed on Celebrity three times, but not to Alaska. We've been to Alaska five times on other cruise lines. I checked the Celebrity itineraries and they don't include Glacier Bay, which would be a deal breaker for me.

We haven't sailed with small kids for many years, but Celebrity has great food and really nice ships.

For Alaska, have you checked Princess and Holland America? They have the most itineraries that visit Glacier Bay. It's a pristine National Park that allows only 2 large cruise ships through there per day and DCL hasn't been able to obtain permits to get in there.

We've also sailed Celebrity (sans DDs) 4 years back in February on a Western Caribbean cruise & had a wonderful time. The MDR food was very good & we enjoyed all of the shows. Based on our experience with Celebrity & the numbers you've posted (a $3,500 difference) we wouldn't :sad2: hesitate go with Celebrity & we are Platinum cruisers with DCL.

Went to Bermuda this past summer on the Celebrity Summit. My 4 year old daughter loved the kids club, my 8 year old son wasn't that impressed with the kids program. He felt it was too "babyish". He prefers the kids club on DCL.

Otherwise Celebrity was wonderful. One of my favorite cruise lines.

We sailed on the Millennium in Alaska and LOVED the cruise destinations but hated the ship. Of course it was a southbound only cruise from Seward to Vancouver, not round trip like the one you are referring to. We found the ship to be old and in desperate need of 'sprucing up' or just general maintenance. Food was so-so, although hubby loved the all-you-can-eat sushi.

If we ever do another Alaska cruise, I will be looking at Princess or one of the smaller cruise lines, like Silver Seas or Regent Seven Seas. I prefer their itineraries to Disney or Celebrity. As much as we love Disney for cruising, unless they start offering northbound / southbound cruises from either Seward or Whittier, we won't be sailing with them. Then again, we like to add a land portion to the cruise and go up to visit Denali for a few days, either before or after our cruise.

Unlike Kitster, we sailed on Celebrity Millennium to Alaska and loved both the itinerary and the ship. Millie got a refurb in 2012, after Kitster sailed on her so she's had upgrades.

Anyway, we love Celebrity. The food is better than DCL, service is as good, etc. As far as Alaska, Hubbard Glacier was fabulous and the trip down from Anchorage to Seward on the Alaska Railroad was a great way to start the cruise. We didn't have our kids with us, but I've heard that a lot of kids love Celebrity. Since the ships are less populated with children, their programs are more personalized and the kids get more one on one attention.

For that price difference, I wouldn't have to think very long. Shore excursions tend to be VERY expensive in Alaska so that price difference would cover them.

We sailed Celebrity when the kids were 12 and 5 and loved it. The kids loved the clubs for the reasons stated by ilovetexas, more one on one and individualized to what the kids wanted to do.

Seems like the website is acting a little quirky. I might just call for the fun of it to learn about possibilities but we're looking at 2015, not 2014 as we just sailed with DCL to Alaska in 2013.

I do show kids sail free and they are also offering different freebies to add on like prepaid gratuities, $200 OBC, drink packages (?) and others but I just did it quickly.

I found 6/22-6/29 Vancouver RT on Century for 3 (2A,1C) in Concierge Class $4001.69 and $2041.69 in Inside (this actually feels too high for inside as it was breaking down to like $470ish p/p but either something is sold out or it's just "acting up" at the moment.

On the Solstice, Seattle RT 7/25-8/1 it was $3592.89 in Verandah.

Seems to be some good deals, especially if you have kids, prefer inside and can on on the ones that are advertised as $599.

Heather

Seems like the website is acting a little quirky. I might just call for the fun of it to learn about possibilities but we're looking at 2015, not 2014 as we just sailed with DCL to Alaska in 2013.

I do show kids sail free and they are also offering different freebies to add on like prepaid gratuities, $200 OBC, drink packages (?) and others but I just did it quickly.

I found 6/22-6/29 Vancouver RT on Century for 3 (2A,1C) in Concierge Class $4001.69 and $2041.69 in Inside (this actually feels too high for inside as it was breaking down to like $470ish p/p but either something is sold out or it's just "acting up" at the moment.

On the Solstice, Seattle RT 7/25-8/1 it was $3592.89 in Verandah.

Seems to be some good deals, especially if you have kids, prefer inside and can on on the ones that are advertised as $599.

Heather

Wonderful deals! Too bad my kids are all >11 and can't travel on those dates. I think the cruise the OP is looking at is August 22, 2014 on Millie. An interior for four (two kids under 12) is $ 1,038. BUT, Celebrity's website doesn't add port fees and taxes until you hit the BOOK button, so the total is really $ 1,753. Still an incredible deal when you consider DCL is well over $5,000.

OP, please remember your kids will need passports. And PLEASE look into the Alaska Rairoad, assuming you will fly into Anchorage. It takes you down to Seward very early the morning of the cruise, has a glass domed top, a dining car, etc. Really a magical way to see Alaska before getting on the ship. You will then have time to go to the Sea Life Center in Seward before boarding the ship. Have fun whatever you choose!

OP here. Yes, in my original post I didn't realize they didn't give you the "real" price up front like Disney does. However, for $1753, I booked. I also found a travel agent that gave me $175 onboard credit. We will fly into Anchorage and take the train to Seward. Even adding in the extra airfare costs and train, we are still saving about $1500. And from what I hear, it is a better itinerary. I am very excited.

Wonderful deals! Too bad my kids are all >11 and can't travel on those dates. I think the cruise the OP is looking at is August 22, 2014 on Millie. An interior for four (two kids under 12) is $ 1,038. BUT, Celebrity's website doesn't add port fees and taxes until you hit the BOOK button, so the total is really $ 1,753. Still an incredible deal when you consider DCL is well over $5,000.

OP, please remember your kids will need passports. And PLEASE look into the Alaska Rairoad, assuming you will fly into Anchorage. It takes you down to Seward very early the morning of the cruise, has a glass domed top, a dining car, etc. Really a magical way to see Alaska before getting on the ship. You will then have time to go to the Sea Life Center in Seward before boarding the ship. Have fun whatever you choose!

Yep agreed :) The port taxes and fees are added at the very end! Like you, I can't cruise during that time but luckily my DS is under 12 but we can't book it today. I'm still waiting on DCL (and others) and really need to do 2015 and not this year. Good to know they offer this, however and very cool for the folks that can do it.
OP here. Yes, in my original post I didn't realize they didn't give you the "real" price up front like Disney does. However, for $1753, I booked. I also found a travel agent that gave me $175 onboard credit. We will fly into Anchorage and take the train to Seward. Even adding in the extra airfare costs and train, we are still saving about $1500. And from what I hear, it is a better itinerary. I am very excited.

Awesome!! You'll have a great time! :)

Heather

Oh, so it's not really $1000, it's $1753, and extra for the flight and train. I think Celebrity is as good or better than DCL for Alaska, but I knew that $1000 price was too good to be true.
DCL is also sailing the inside passage, so I would not use that for your decision. I would choose a cruise that goes to Glacier bay. If the cruise does not go there, you can't really say one is better than another.

That is still an awesome price for Alaska! The price difference will pay for a lot of excursions. I would still shop around to see is you can get an itinerary with Glacier Bay. We have done DCL and next time we are only doing one with Glacier Bay.

For what it's worth, I've heard of people who only cruise DCL or X. By that standard, I would definitely be open to X in the future.

OP, I forgot to mention, when we checked in to the Alaska Railroad that morning in Anchorage there was a Celebrity rep who was checking bags through to the ship! We hadn't arranged it in advance but they said it didn't matter. They gave us tags to fill out and then we didn't have to worry about our stuff all day once we got to Seward.

I would contact Celebrity and find out what you can about that service, especially since you're traveling with children.

We have sailed Celebrity many times And found the Service to be fantastic
We will be on the Disney Fantasy for our first time in July with our grand kids We Chose to go on the Fantasy because of Mickey
Disney verses Celebrity two different types of Co.(experiences)

OP, I forgot to mention, when we checked in to the Alaska Railroad that morning in Anchorage there was a Celebrity rep who was checking bags through to the ship! We hadn't arranged it in advance but they said it didn't matter. They gave us tags to fill out and then we didn't have to worry about our stuff all day once we got to Seward.

I would contact Celebrity and find out what you can about that service, especially since you're traveling with children.

Thanks! This is great info!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter