Any Chance of Up Grade

Eddy

Mouseketeer
I have 2 value studios at Jumbo House reserved, for 3 nights. Do you think there is any chance of getting some pixie dust and being up graded to a 2 bedroom suite? Anyone ever get this type of upgrade? Do you think I would have a better chance of getting upgrade if I booked a 2 bedroom before the 3 nights I already have? We have 4 adults and 2 children in our group:cool1:

From your post I'm guessing you are a new DVC member or a renter. When you are using points for your reservation you book the accommodations you choose for the number of points you want to use.....period. In a rare circumstance, you might get a Savannah view studio vs. a value or standard view...for instance, there were no values available when you check-in due to being taken out of service for some reason and they have Savannah views available for the length of your stay...but, even that would only happen rarely. But.....no......not really a chance you could get an upgrade from 2 value studios to a 2 bdrm....unless they have a cancellation for a 2 bdrm and you are willing to pay the points for that 2 bdrm.

I have 2 value studios at Jumbo House reserved, for 3 nights. Do you think there is any chance of getting some pixie dust and being up graded to a 2 bedroom suite?

maybe one chance in a million?

timeshares do not upgrade like hotels do. only if the situation requires it and there is absolutely no other choice. hotels can upgrade guests if it suits them to do so...but with a timeshare, why would one owner be upgraded over another owner?

so there is virtually no chance of an upgrade...

Also please know that if you are renting, and you ask, and they give it to you, those extra points will be taken from the Member's account you are renting from.

So please do not do this.

DVC bookings, as stated above do not get comp upgrades. If an upgrade ever happens, which is rare, it is due to some issue that prompted them to do this for their advantage, never for yours.

i should add for completeness that cash guests are more likely to get upgraded than stays on points. but odds are still fairly low.

What happens with cash guests is sometimes if a resort is having a hard time filling the higher priced rooms, they will overbook the lower priced rooms that they can fill and upgrade some people to the higher priced rooms. DVC does not do this, they only book the rooms they have.

As PPs have already stated, chances for an upgrade are close to zero with DVC. With DVC, you get what you book with almost no exceptions. If you want a 2 bedroom, then you need to rent enough points for a 2 bedroom.

I have 2 value studios at Jumbo House reserved, for 3 nights. Do you think there is any chance of getting some pixie dust and being up graded to a 2 bedroom suite? Anyone ever get this type of upgrade? Do you think I would have a better chance of getting upgrade if I booked a 2 bedroom before the 3 nights I already have? We have 4 adults and 2 children in our group:cool1:
As mentioned already, DVC doesn't do upgrades unless a room goes out of service and they have no other choice. If you request an upgrade at check-in, the front desk CM may assume that you are authorizing him/her to withdraw the extra points needed to pay for the upgrade from the DVC account used to make the reservation.

Even if you are willing to pay the extra points for the upgrade, it's unlikely you could snag a Value 2BR at check-in. All of the Value rooms are such an incredible bargain, they book up quickly and are unlikely to be available for upgrades on check-in day even to those willing to pay the extra points required. There are only ten Value 2BRs in all of AKV. Since all of the 2BRs in Jambo House are lockoffs (in other words, a 2BR is actually a 1BR plus a Studio) anyone who books a Value 1BR or a Value lockoff Studio takes away one of those 2BRs.

We learned our lesson the VERY, VERY, VERY Hard Way!

NEVER accept an upgrade when offered on a points stay.

We were offered an upgrade at VWL this summer from a studio to a 1BR.
We had wanted to switch to a 1BR since a couple days after booking our Studio.... but it wasn't available, at anytime after our initial booking.

So we were prepared for a week in a Studio.

When we went to check in at WL, we were told that they had no more studios left in inventory. Would we be OK with a 1BR? OF COURSE WE WOULD!

(Why there was never a 1BR in inventory for us to book on our own I will never know!)

But we were thrilled, we thought we received some Pixie dust, and it make our stay so much easier since I had just changed jobs and had to attend web meeting and phone conferences in the afternoons almost every day.

Well, when we got home and checked our accounts we discovered that they had checked us in to the studio, charged us a week's worth of points for the studio, AND charges us for a week's worth of points for a 1BR! :mad:

BEYOND :mad:

They had taken EVERY SINGLE point from one of our contracts for the following year without our approval.

NEVER ACCEPT AN UPGRADE unless you make the check in agent PRINT your room reservation, initial the point usage, and provide you with a copy!

We got everything fixed, but it took a dozen or more calls back and fourth and hours spent on the phone.

Book what you want, and if you don't have the points, or can't afford to pay cash for what you want.... do a little thing most folks refer to as "Dealing with it!" (Not in reference to OP! Just a general rule to live by!)

You do not want the front desk agent digging in to your points, under and circumstance! They have NO IDEA what they are doing with points!

Having received, and know people who have received upgrades at regular Disney hotels - THAT is entirely possible.

We once paid for standard view at Wilderness Lodge (Lodge, not Villas) and were upgraded to Club Level.

I know a couple who was upgraded from Garden View at Boardwalk to a 2 BR (NOT VILLA - a deluxe...presidential suite!)

And someone else who was upgraded from Water View at Beach Club to Club Level.

So they upgrade people ALL of the time - but don't count on it staying at a DVC resort!

We learned our lesson the VERY, VERY, VERY Hard Way!

NEVER accept an upgrade when offered on a points stay.

We were offered an upgrade at VWL this summer from a studio to a 1BR.
We had wanted to switch to a 1BR since a couple days after booking our Studio.... but it wasn't available, at anytime after our initial booking.

So we were prepared for a week in a Studio.

When we went to check in at WL, we were told that they had no more studios left in inventory. Would we be OK with a 1BR? OF COURSE WE WOULD!

(Why there was never a 1BR in inventory for us to book on our own I will never know!)

But we were thrilled, we thought we received some Pixie dust, and it make our stay so much easier since I had just changed jobs and had to attend web meeting and phone conferences in the afternoons almost every day.

Well, when we got home and checked our accounts we discovered that they had checked us in to the studio, charged us a week's worth of points for the studio, AND charges us for a week's worth of points for a 1BR! :mad:

BEYOND :mad:

They had taken EVERY SINGLE point from one of our contracts for the following year without our approval.

NEVER ACCEPT AN UPGRADE unless you make the check in agent PRINT your room reservation, initial the point usage, and provide you with a copy!

We got everything fixed, but it took a dozen or more calls back and fourth and hours spent on the phone.

Book what you want, and if you don't have the points, or can't afford to pay cash for what you want.... do a little thing most folks refer to as "Dealing with it!" (Not in reference to OP! Just a general rule to live by!)

You do not want the front desk agent digging in to your points, under and circumstance! They have NO IDEA what they are doing with points!

Having received, and know people who have received upgrades at regular Disney hotels - THAT is entirely possible.

We once paid for standard view at Wilderness Lodge (Lodge, not Villas) and were upgraded to Club Level.

I know a couple who was upgraded from Garden View at Boardwalk to a 2 BR (NOT VILLA - a deluxe...presidential suite!)

And someone else who was upgraded from Water View at Beach Club to Club Level.

So they upgrade people ALL of the time - but don't count on it staying at a DVC resort!

The OP rented the reservations for the studios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter