Any Budget Stocking gift ideas???

Every year I put a tooth brush & toothpaste, candy cane & 1 Lindt Chocolate Santa in each stocking (hey, if were going to eat candy, may as well be the good stuff).

Along with that some things I aleady have for this year: flashlights (sleeping beauty, pitares & HSM), chapstick, nail polish, hand sanitizer, hair accesories, small journal notebooks and colorful gel pens, (Michaels dollar area), a small lego set (for DS) colorful socks, gum and Altoids

I have also done gloves & mittens & small puzzles.

I alway look at the avon clearance catologues I have gotten christmas chap sticks, hand cream and hannah montana hand cream and hand sanitizers.

Well-I may sound cheap but I'm a big couponer, so I get most of the stocking stuffers free or really cheap. I love the Target dollar spot also. I do the Walgreens reg. reward deals & CVS extra care bucks, so I get stuff that way. Some coupons I can use to get travel size body wash, toothpaste, etc. My oldest son I usually get a Blockbuster gc & my youngest kids a $5 McDonalds gc (that's usually the most expensive thing in there). We don't do a lot of candy though-just maybe gum (of course-free w/ coupons.):rotfl:

I love Target Dollar Spots. My DH & I exchange stockings and I would be more than happy to have any of the cute Disney items that they have recently put in the Dollar Spot.

And if I see clearance things through the year, I pick them up and hide them in my closet :) I just need to remember they are there....

I do this too. Honestly, I go shopping on Dec.26th, it is one of my favorite days to shop (ik-I'm crazy:laughing:). Last year I was able to pick up some really great deals for mere pennies (holiday pens for DD11, table top poppers, etc.) at Party City. Long as you think ahead (age appropriate) you can pick up some great deals throught out the year. Crayons are a great stocking stuffer, pick those up during the school sales during the summer (or be lucky enough to find some clearanced out-found the twistables for $0.98 added to DS4's stocking).

We have an under the stairs closet, so it goes far back, but you can't see back there because the coats block the view. So I put a big rubbermaid container all the way in the back and as I pick things up i put them in there. I made a spreadsheet, so I just put what the item was, how much $ (helps me stay on budget) and who it was for. Kids have never found it!:thumbsup2:cool1:

OT-sorry and I don't mean to hijack the thread. But does anyone know where (do they even still make them?) I can find the ToothTunes (the toothbrushes that play music)? DS likes his DD's and I thought I might put one in his stocking, but I haven't been able to find them. Thanks!

Since Dollar Spots have been mentioned a few times, I thought I'd point out that Target actually has several $1 sections in their store format. In addition to the Dollar Spot, there's a side of an aisle in either Pharmacy or Health & Beauty with dollar items like travel size toiletries, shower poufs, cosmetic bags and the like. Likewise, Michaels has its own $1 section. I've gotten coaster packs, ornaments, stamps, punches, stickers, and magnetic bookmarks that were a hit. Maybe more traditional items like planners and calendars would fit the bill for others, they've just never had any to my taste. There are more $1 items by the registers, such as mini Sharpies. There's a chain called Five Below that carries $1-$5 items, many of which would take up a lot of space in a stocking. The back wall has nifty cosmetics, toiletries and novelties for $1 each, like a full dental care set (including mirror and pic, oddly enough) or a tin of novelty band-aids. You can get a bumper crop of full sized board books, stickers, and coloring books for cheap.

For the very tight budget, I've had great luck with thrift stores, public libraries (or used bookstores, friends of the library sales, etc.), and Freecycle. At the charity thrift store (not a Goodwill), I can load up on childrens books, small toys, wild looking scarves, and costume jewelry, especially the big geometric 80s plastic jewelry, for under $5. I recently brought home a 6"x6"x6" wood bead-on-loopy-wire toy for 25c that was a huge hit, and ours is a pretty scuzzy low rent thrift store. At the library, I regularly check the discard bin and get new books that people have dropped, hardcover library discards, or even the occasional book on tape for free. I never pay more than 25c a book at used book sales, although I usually get only half off at a used bookstore. As for Freecycle, ask and you shall receive: I've gotten tons of leftover arts and craft supplies, back magazines for a collage kit, full size wooden toys, domino sets, and all sorts of other things.

I wouldn't discount your local pharmacy, supermarket, or non-chain toy store, either. Recently, all the locally owned toy stores I know of have added these really amazing $1 bin sections by the counters that have had terrific finds in them: little bags of metal "pirate coins," tin soldiers, bags of marbles or jacks, a small metal slinky, packs of cards, tops, mini puzzles, and wood dice, for example. The fair trade store, or a "chain" fair trade store like Ten Thousand Villages had tons of handknit finger puppets for less than a buck, and good fair trade mini chocolate bars for 5c. At our local pharmacy (the chain one) we routinely find $1 DVDs, which are always of the cheesy family film variety, but around the holidays those cheesy family films can be pretty good older Hallmark films or classics. There are also stickers, cheap cosmetics, and little indulgences like shower gels or bath bombs for a fair (less than $1) price. Same thing at the grocery store.

If all else fails, there's always DIY. I'm not above collecting tins and nifty small jars from recycling. I've made bath salts, sugar scrubs, bath "tea bags" and all manner of similar things before. I've made liqueurs and infused oils by steeping ingredients in vodka or olive oil respectively then decanting into a well cleaned grolsch bottle (it's a resealable beer bottle).

I do this too. Honestly, I go shopping on Dec.26th, it is one of my favorite days to shop (ik-I'm crazy:laughing:). Last year I was able to pick up some really great deals for mere pennies (holiday pens for DD11, table top poppers, etc.) at Party City. Long as you think ahead (age appropriate) you can pick up some great deals throught out the year. Crayons are a great stocking stuffer, pick those up during the school sales during the summer (or be lucky enough to find some clearanced out-found the twistables for $0.98 added to DS4's stocking).

We have an under the stairs closet, so it goes far back, but you can't see back there because the coats block the view. So I put a big rubbermaid container all the way in the back and as I pick things up i put them in there. I made a spreadsheet, so I just put what the item was, how much $ (helps me stay on budget) and who it was for. Kids have never found it!:thumbsup2:cool1:

This is similar to what we do as well. I go shopping the days after Christmas and pick up clearance items and keep them put away until the next year. Last year I picked up some star ways figures in a candy cane shape, a small holiday colored nerf football, and holiday hotwheel pack, all for 75% off. I've also picked up a couple of pairs of character socks from targets $1 bin when they've gone 50% off and a few other odd and ends from there. Then when it gets closer I'll pick up a moon sand or playdough stocking stuffer set and a couple of the m&m and hershey kiss candy cane things and we'll be set.

Ran into the Dollar Tree store because I needed a pan for lasagna tonight, they already have their x-mas stuff out and a bunch of new Disney themed toys. They had recorders, harmonicas w/ cases, puzzles (got a Evil Queen from SW one for DD and a Wall-E for DS, they had winter themed & non winter themed MM & Princess too), crayons, yo-yos, silly putty, wall crawlers, little figures, craft stuff, jump ropes, kalidascopes (sp?), and...I can't think of anything else, but there was quiet a bit.

Also, it is spread through the store, at least at mine it was. For example the puzzles: winter themed (had snow in the pic) were on display right as you walked in, regular (MM sport, and MM & friends) were in the toy section, then at the back by automotive was a display with more Regular MM and the Villians and on the other side of the display were the Wall-E puzzles. The art stuff (but not the crayons) was on an endcap by the fake flowers. So look around, not just in the toy section.

OH! and some things come in two packs, like the tops-so I picked up the Mickey/Minnie set, so I can split those up-one for each kid. :thumbsup2

ETA: Just remembered...they were up on a top shelf (so look up too) but I saw Winnie the Pooh Bubbles. We have a ton of bubbles so I skipped those.

Hope someone else finds this info helpful.

OT-sorry and I don't mean to hijack the thread. But does anyone know where (do they even still make them?) I can find the ToothTunes (the toothbrushes that play music)? DS likes his DD's and I thought I might put one in his stocking, but I haven't been able to find them. Thanks!

I saw them recently at Five Below(not sure if you have those or not in your area)

I do paperbackswap.com so in November I start looking for books for my family for their stockings. I ask, at this time of the year, for books that look fairly new.

I love books and have no need for them to be new to enjoy them.

I do paperbackswap.com so in November I start looking for books for my family for their stockings. I ask, at this time of the year, for books that look fairly new.

I love books and have no need for them to be new to enjoy them.

You could try a thift store too. We get lots of our books from there lately. Dd thinks of it like a year round garage sale!

I also wanted to mention a few things we put in that my kids always use of mine and so I get them their own (rolls of tape and sticky notes). Sounds silly but Dollar Tree is great for those kind of things and mine manage to stay in my desk!

We do a lot of what's been mentioned already. For middle ds (5) we do a few cars/trains, a book, some candy, toothbrush (although this year our closet is stuffed with so probably won't), usually a stuffed animal, and any accessories or batteries. Last year all of the kids got screaming monkeys in their stockings. For dd (10) I do girly things like nail polish, chapstick, jewelry, candy, stuffed animal, batteries, whatever. For the youngest ds (2), we'll probably follow along the same theme as our other ds. I just picked up a bunch of Star Wars magnets and stickers for middle ds for 75% off in the dollar spot at Target. That was quite a find. We also have a few lego sets small enough to fit in the stocking. I always try to keep it cheap, simple, and useful.

I usually put a rolled up magazine in their stockings, sports illustrated, etc. It takes up alit of room. And this year I'm getting my son some of the bubble wrap that you pop, duct tape( he's constantly taking mine). And my daughter is getting kitchen spoons, etc (she's getting married in Jan, so this will be her last stocking).

Growing up we got some treats (cocconut wreaths) as well as body wash, perfume, nail polish and so on.

When DH and ?I 1st did Stockings he laughed and could not understand why my family put toiletries in our stockings!!!!!!

The BEST stocking stuffer I ever got him was a glasses cleaning and repair kit. I paid 4 or 5 (with a 20% off coupon) at BBB and he used it for 2 years!!!! Sadly I can not find them there anymore, but did manage to find a replacement at Walmart.

The boys are getting into Legos so they will be getting that, bubble bath, and other small things in thier stockings!

Walgreen's has some of the $0.39 candy coupons this week. You can get the coupons online to, just go to the Walgreen's site and look at the ad, click on the coupon. Anyway the coupons are on the Russell Stover candies and there is another one for Frosty Nerds.

Any ideas for older kids?
I have a 16 year old son, a 13 year old daughter and an almost 12 year old daughter. The stuff at the dollar spot won't work for us. I like the ideas of toothbrushes, slippers, chapstick and some mini sharpies and maybe some hair clips for when my oldest DD straightens h4r hair. Cosmetics for the oldest one are hard as she only likes specific brands and i am nervous to pick something out for her. My youngest DD is not into makeup or bath products yet and is over the webkinz and hannah montana like stuff. I am kind of stuck on ideas for her as she is in a transition phase too old for little girl stuff and not interested in beauty stuff. I don't mind candy and treats as we don't even keep cookies in the house on a regular basis.

Any ideas for teens and tweens are appreciated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter