Any Beagle owners out there?

I read somewhere that beagles are the eigth or nineth dumbest dogs. I have to agree. I love my Benny, don't get me wrong, but those that say beagles are smart have never been around a smart dog. I am used to shepards myself, that is a smart dog. Beagles have a lot of endearing qualities but brains are not usually one of them.

We adopted a beagle from the shelter when she was a year old. She was wonderful. She never once had an accident, and it was doubtful she was ever housetrained before coming to us. She loved our daughter (and us) dearly. She traveled really, really well (traveled with me on business trips and with us to horseshows) - never had a problem with leaving her in a hotel room. She wagged her tail and was friendly to everybody. She was with us until she was 15. We all were broken hearted when she died.

We also adopted a beagle from the shelter at approx. 9 months. We were told that he was part of a hunting pack, but not very good at it. He was wonderful with an active two year old and kids. He rarely wandered off the property and did not bother with rabbits, deer, etc. in yard. In fact, our sons used to put the pet hamster on his back for a "ride." He also loved to eat anything. He had congestive heart failure, then nasal cancer. It was awful when he passed. One of the hardest decisions we have ever had to make.

Then, we got a doxie. If we ever got another dog, I would get a beagle. We LOVE them both but have had to have back surgery on the doxie, which was even more in medical bills than the beagle. The doxie is also not as friendly and is horrible with other dogs. He barks more than the beagle.

Just our experience . . . .

I love my girl, and wouldn't hesitate to get another beagle someday. I've had her since she was 8 weeks old, and she'll be six at the end of the month. She's very sweet and affectionate (IE- she'll lick the crap out of you!) and gets upset when left alone, which is part of being a pack hound.

LOVES people. Cats she's always been curious about, neither likes or dislikes them. Other dogs, though, she's always been terrified of. If another dog comes near her, she hides.

She does bay (howl) but only when provoked into it. (like, when playing keep away with one of her toys, for example.) Never has been much of a barker.

They aren't the easiest to train, and are very prone to running off. All her life, no matter was tried, mine will just bolt out any open door she can find and run until she tires out. We've almost lost her several times.

Beagles are at the top of the list as far as health, having few if any genetic or breed specific issues. They live, on average, 10-12 years.

I have a three year old beagle whom I adore. Ours is a cuddle bug, loves cats. dogs, kids, you name it.
She only barks and howls when we are playing with her or she does two or three barks when when the doorbell goes on.
She is super duper stubborn. She was housebroken practically immediately. However, whoever said theirs was like a cat has it right. If you have a treat, she will do anything, but if you don't have food, it's like you aren't even there. She knows all of her commands, but won't do them until she is sure that she is getting fed.
We always talk about getting another beagle, but we are pretty sure they would gang up and take over the house.

My parents have a beagle. He is LOUD, grumpy, getting old and he's smelly! He has lots of allergy issues too that they can't pinpoint. They love him though!!

I just got a 3.5 month old puggle puppy and he's awesome. So far best of both worlds!

I have a 3 yr old rescue beagle. He's amazing with my kids and we also have 2 cats that he gets along great with. He is so friendly, butcan be hard headed too. But we love him!

4136994A-A5AE-4348-8384-6BBD2D50118C-7165-00000436861B9F3C.jpg

I read somewhere that beagles are the eigth or nineth dumbest dogs. I have to agree. I love my Benny, don't get me wrong, but those that say beagles are smart have never been around a smart dog. I am used to shepards myself, that is a smart dog. Beagles have a lot of endearing qualities but brains are not usually one of them.

I tell Jessie it's good that she's cute, since she sure isn't smart!

Viator80: What beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing those!:goodvibes

To everyone else thank you so much your opinions, good and no so good! I am a bit sad as we were supposed to go meet a 9 month old female tomorrow night, but I guess I took too long to get back to the current owner, and he is meeting with others interested first. He said unless he gets a bad feeling off them, the dog has been promised to them now. :(
He said he will contact us if it doesn't work out, but I hate that I got excited over the cutie.

Oh well, if it is meant to be it will be. In the meantime I really have enjoyed all you have written.

The choice of a Beagle is more a lifestyle choice than it is just the choice of a dog.

1. Beagles like to be around people. They tend to howl if they don't get enough attention. They love to sleep on the bed with you.
2. Beagles like to run and if they can get out of the yard, they're going to get out of it. If a door is open and they get the notion, out they go. And they're pretty darn good at getting out of the yard.
3. Beagles are hard to train. This leads to many putting them on dumbest dog lists. But it's a mistake to equate easy to train with raw intellect. Underestimate the smarts of a beagle at getting out of your yard, and you'll be spending an afternoon chasing after a Beagle.
4 Beagles will beat on your door if they want in and out. Just like Snoopy.
5. Remember how Snoopy liked to sneak up on Lucy and give her a kiss? Yes beagles love to do that and the more you react to it, the more they love doing it.
6. Beagles usually have a very good disposition and are great with kids. It is rare to find a beagle that isn't.
7. Beagles aren't as inbred as some other breeds. So there is less worry about getting a non-viable one. They generally have less trouble as they age as well. .
8. Some beagles are ok with other pets, some aren't. Usually they're far more tolerant of other pets in the house than they are other peoples' pets. Ours liked to torment cats. He wouldn't fight em. Didn't really want to. He'd purposely slow down and let the cat keep running if it came down to it.
9. Beagles are excellent trackers. Their sense of smell is matched by few. This makes them great detection dogs. They are much better ground scent trackers than air scent trackers. The USDA uses them to detect quarantined agricultural products carried into the U.S. in luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter