Any Apple Mac users? I need advice, please.

Hilary

There's always something new to learn!
We are going to buy a Mac laptop for DD (for illustration/animation course at uni) and I know very little about them - other than that they cost more than a Windows laptop! ;)

Can anyone offer any simple buying/using tips, please?

I've got a mac and its just so much better i think than any windows pc. I wanted one for a few reasons, the general look of them and for doing graphics work for uni.

Programs like Photoshop work so much faster on a mac, and your able to have more than one program like that open at the same time without a crash - very handy, and there are also some programs that she might need to use that can only be used on a mac.

Having a mac through my uni course has meant when I've needed to do coursework involving photoshop or something, many of my classmates have had to fight for the mac computers at uni (v stressful) while i've managed to get it all done in the comfort of home - so getting your dd a mac for that will benefit her greatly!

Generally, So much faster, and the extra price i think is worthwhile alone when you consider that its practically impossible to get a virus and no need for anti-virus software!

Buying wise - i got mine off of apple online. I would recommend if you have an Apple store nearby to get it from there though, the guys in there are SO helpful and will let you play around with a mac, ask questions etc before you buy

All I can say is "Once you go Mac, You'll never go back" :rotfl:

Love my Mac, best purchase I have ever bought. Go to an apple store if you can, they have great customer service and will be able to answer any and all questions you have Plus check out all the information and tutorials on the apple website. Once you check that out you will be running to the store wanting a Mac for yourself. ;)

All I can say is "Once you go Mac, You'll never go back" :rotfl:

Love my Mac, best purchase I have ever bought. Go to an apple store if you can, they have great customer service and will be able to answer any and all questions you have Plus check out all the information and tutorials on the apple website. Once you check that out you will be running to the store wanting a Mac for yourself. ;)

So true!!! ::yes::

And don't forget that Apple offers a discount to students and those working in Education... :thumbsup2

Im on the Mac Book Pro, bought it in August and cant believe Ive wasted so much money on other PCs ive bought, its probably the best £900 ive ever spent. I was concerned alot of applications i used on Windows wouldnt be available on the Mac but ive managed to find them with relative ease. I would definately buy one, just make sure you click download updates before you even load anything up!

Also, as someone else has stated, Apple stores offer an excellent service and your DD can even go and have various lessons on how to use it and its programmes for free in the store, ive done this on a few occasions and there always first class.

Add me to the list of Mac convertees. We bought an iBook in 2004 and an iMac about a year later.

I'd be inclined to buy directly from Apple, taking advantage of the student discount. Check it out here. I don't know whether or not it's only available for online purchases, but the Apple Store experience is worth seeking out - gorgeous environment and really helpful, knowledgeable staff.

As far as using one is concerned, it's really just a case of experimenting - Mac OS X is actually far more intuitive than Windows and she'll very quickly pick it up. There's so much about it to like. I love the way that all the applications look and work identically (iTunes, iPhoto, et al) and even more so since the introduction of Cover Flow. I take so much of it for granted these days - no viruses to start with - but hot corners (for quick switching between applications), the dock (for easy access to applications), stacks (for quick access to documents and downloads) and quick look (to see the contents of a file without opening it) all immediately spring to mind, too. And it all looks so groovy!

The default browser is Safari which comes pre-loaded. As much as I love its functionality, I have to admit that it's slow (it eats up RAM which slows other applications, too). Firefox is quicker, but I've never really taken to it. Matt prefers it and it's easy to run both. In fact, when you're sharing a computer, it helps to be using different browsers because you don't have to keep logging in and out of sites you both frequent. I've just started using the new Google Chrome which is very fast. It lacks some of the Safari functionality, but I'm going to persevere with it for a while. Both Firefox and Chrome are free to download and I suggest she tries all three to see which she prefers.

Something nobody here seems to have mentioned - a mac is able to run windows, so can do everything a pc can.

Ive actually got 1 mac laptop running ONLY windows.

I prefer mac os x, but running windows can get you out of trouble occasionally...

Never thought I would say it, but the Macs are brilliant, Vicki had to buy one this year for use in her Film and Video degree in Uni and I sit in awe of her whilst watching her use it. Its so clear, does so many amazing things, and she loves it, saying its the best thing ever invented:rotfl2:As somebody else mentioned as well, no need for Virus protection.

She bought hers on credit from PC World, not the cheapest way of doing it, but the only way she could afford one and needs must unfortunatly, however she doesnt regret this one bit. She also purchased an addional years warranity with hers.

The only one issue she did have with it, was she bought a dongle thingy for extra internet access from 3 when away from the house (cant you tell Im not computer savvy) and it would not load on, however a quick call to Apple and they sent her a disc to download a programme within 2 days and all was up and working really quickly.:)

Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

Okay, I admit there's probably one more thing I did already know about Macs - if DD has one, I'll want one, too! ;)

I think so many of her friends already have Macs that DD will undoubtedly find plenty of help once she is running one - and lets face it, even if I knew how they function I wouldn't be much use to her 200 miles away from uni. I have checked the Apple store locations and there is one within walking distance of her halls, so I think that has to be her first stop, even if we end up purchasing elsewhere. From what I've read, the student discount is available only online, but I would hope the local Apple store could help out after purchase, if needed.

Off to raid the piggy bank and check down the back of the sofa ...

Do expand! In 5 years, I've never felt the need to have Windows. :)

4 things for me mainly:

1) gaming support on OS X is not as good, so it's very useful for that

2) I write computer programs for a living using Microsoft Visual Studio, so I use this occasionally and there's no version of that for OS X

3) Not everybody in my family likes Macs :confused3

4) Windows version of MSN Messenger is a little better than the mac alternatives. I can generally work around it using aMSN for video / sound, but it's not perfect. However - this one should be removed at some point soon because I know they've got a mac version with video support in the works :thumbsup2

Also - I have a tv card that I went through a phase of using, so the Vista / 7 Media Centre app was really good for that as unfortunately front row doesn't "do" tv and the card I have was bought before I had a Mac, so it's not Mac compatible.

It helps that I've had access to windows for free as part of my degree that I've just finished, so I don't have to pay any extra for the privilege :thumbsup2

All the above said - I spend maybe 99% of my computing time in OS X rather than Windows :goodvibes

Thanks for the replies, everyone :)

Okay, I admit there's probably one more thing I did already know about Macs - if DD has one, I'll want one, too! ;)

I think so many of her friends already have Macs that DD will undoubtedly find plenty of help once she is running one - and lets face it, even if I knew how they function I wouldn't be much use to her 200 miles away from uni. I have checked the Apple store locations and there is one within walking distance of her halls, so I think that has to be her first stop, even if we end up purchasing elsewhere. From what I've read, the student discount is available only online, but I would hope the local Apple store could help out after purchase, if needed.

Off to raid the piggy bank and check down the back of the sofa ...

Just wanted to add to your comments on the student discount - it's a huge bargain if you get the HIGHER education discount (which she should do if she's at uni).

It's a little tricky to get as you can't do it from any old computer - the computer has to be connected to the uni network in some way. Alternatively, it's available by phone.

However - once you do get it, it's a 14% discount, plus a 3 year parts warranty as standard (normal purchases only get 1 year) which (depending on the machine you buy) can add up to a huge saving :thumbsup2

Just wanted to add to your comments on the student discount - it's a huge bargain if you get the HIGHER education discount (which she should do if she's at uni).

It's a little tricky to get as you can't do it from any old computer - the computer has to be connected to the uni network in some way. Alternatively, it's available by phone.

However - once you do get it, it's a 14% discount, plus a 3 year parts warranty as standard (normal purchases only get 1 year) which (depending on the machine you buy) can add up to a huge saving :thumbsup2

Thanks for that info - I'd gathered from doing some research that the discount is available only through a uni network, but I didn't know how much the discount might be. The added warranty would also be a great perk.

Would a the MacBook be okay for student use (Illustration/Animation course), or would she need the extras in the Pro?

Unless you're particularly bothered about the aluminium case and keyboard backlight (both very nice but neither essential) then I suspect a standard macbook would be enough.

Somebody more familiar with programs such as photoshop may correct me here, but I don't think you'll need the extra 2gb memory or seperate graphics card of the more expensive pro models, although both of these are nice to haves.

Unless she's doing masses of movie work on it (or playing high graphic demanding games) she won't need the graphics card for photoshop work. You can never have too much memory though, I'd say get what you can afford there.

Also regarding warranties - if you didn't go the Higher Education route John Lewis (and co) offer 2 years warranty as standard for free, unlike Apple who only offer 1.

<3 my mac(s)

Unless she's doing masses of movie work on it (or playing high graphic demanding games) she won't need the graphics card for photoshop work. You can never have too much memory though, I'd say get what you can afford there.

Also regarding warranties - if you didn't go the Higher Education route John Lewis (and co) offer 2 years warranty as standard for free, unlike Apple who only offer 1.

<3 my mac(s)

I've just noticed that you can configure the standard macbook with 4GB of memory if you order from apple online, so with the above advice in mind, I'd say that the basic white macbook should be ample :thumbsup2

We have an iMac and DH and I also have MacBook Pros. I was intending to upgrade mine but was advised against it as, apparently, a new version is coming out in the next few weeks. Something to keep in mind as it sounds like it will be worth waiting to ensure you get the most up-to-date hardware.

I echo the comments about how wonderful OS X is to use! It's horrible going back to Windows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter