Anxious Dog Help

darnheather

DIS Veteran
The family dog has always been anxious about one thing or another. Now he is 15 years old and gets super anxious every afternoon. This in turn often triggers my anxiety.

Anyway. If you have an anxious dog have you found anything that works? I've tried the Thunder shirt, lick mats, a Kong with peanut butter, and melatonin.

I was told by my vet once when I had an elderly dog that this is not uncommon for older dogs. They said it was the "sundowner's syndrome" that people get. That could be a possibility here.
We just went through that with our senior girl. Some afternoons/evenings were pretty much impossible for her to settle. We did use ‘doggie downers’ on occasion.

My dog takes daily anxiety meds prescribed by her vet.

Thanks for the helpful information. Our pommie is young and just "high-strung" now, but as he gets older, he might become uncomfortably nervous. I would hate for him to suffer through too much sensitivity. I'm glad the meds are working for your doggie and won't rule it out, if things get worse. 👍

Our dog gets very anxious about thunderstorms and fireworks these days. She didn’t seem to care about them at all when she was younger. She is 11 now and it is getting worse every year—probably starting when she was around 7. Around the 4th of July my neighborhood seems to have one person or another setting them off almost nightly for several weeks. This was worse during COVID. The summer of 2020 she would start to get anxious when it started getting dark. That still happens in the evenings if we have a few nights in a row with fireworks.

I finally asked the vet for something for her. She prescribed trazadone as needed. It seems to work well especially when we know to give it to her ahead of time as it takes a while to kick in. The issue is a pop up thunderstorm—by the time the meds kick in it has often passed by and occasionally she gets worked up so much she won’t take the medication. It happened last night in the middle of the night. We had a storm and by the time we were awakened she was upset and wouldn’t take the pill even wrapped in cheese. We also use a thunder shirt. I’m not sure it helps much.

Can you describe what happens - when and why - he gets anxious?
After he eats he almost seems to forget that he has eaten. The morning isn't like this at all. He begs and whines, he gets on and off the couch, paces, asks to go in and out. It is constant for two to three hours.

Poor thing is mostly blind and deaf.

In the morning he goes out, eats, goes out again, and then settles down to sleep for the majority of the day.

I was told by my vet once when I had an elderly dog that this is not uncommon for older dogs. They said it was the "sundowner's syndrome" that people get. That could be a possibility here.
I hadn't thought of that but I do think that is what it is. So similar to people with dementia. :(

Yes - this happened with my Sophie (RIP). She definitely had some dementia with sundowner’s - it was sad to watch. She went to the Rainbow Bridge last summer - she was 14 1/2. We did have a script for her, but it actually made her worse (aggressive), so we just kept her confined to the kitchen, because she was deaf also. Keeping her in the kitchen, where she could still see us with the way our house is designed, was best - this way she wasn’t trying to squeeze into places she didn’t belong and then bite us when we tried to get her out. My sweet girl definitely changed with age, but since my step-dad died of Alzheimer’s I was used to this behavior and probably had more patience with it than others. My dad also changed - he was a loving man and Alzheimer’s made him mean. I learned to not take it personally from him and I did the same with my Sophie. What Sophie died from was not this - she had bladder cancer and because of this we had to say goodbye - I miss her every day.

Good luck OP - an elderly dog takes a lot of patience and it is challenging. My thoughts and prayers are with you and even though your dog can’t say it, they do love and appreciate you loving and taking care of them. God bless!

Your dog could possibly be losing his hearing. They can become anxious as they no longer are able to hear subtle sounds that used to alert them and keep them and the family safe.
I totally noticed this with my old girl (mini schnauzer now aged 15). In the last year or so, she has gone mostly deaf, and in turn separation anxiety has suddenly appeared. She needs eyes on me at all time. Gets very upset and cries when separated. Also her arthritis is making her hind leg weak and collapse a bit. Thinking about looking into pain relief like CBDs

Our dog gets very anxious about thunderstorms and fireworks these days. She didn’t seem to care about them at all when she was younger. She is 11 now and it is getting worse every year—probably starting when she was around 7. Around the 4th of July my neighborhood seems to have one person or another setting them off almost nightly for several weeks. This was worse during COVID. The summer of 2020 she would start to get anxious when it started getting dark. That still happens in the evenings if we have a few nights in a row with fireworks.

I finally asked the vet for something for her. She prescribed trazadone as needed. It seems to work well especially when we know to give it to her ahead of time as it takes a while to kick in. The issue is a pop up thunderstorm—by the time the meds kick in it has often passed by and occasionally she gets worked up so much she won’t take the medication. It happened last night in the middle of the night. We had a storm and by the time we were awakened she was upset and wouldn’t take the pill even wrapped in cheese. We also use a thunder shirt. I’m not sure it helps much.
This is exactly how our dog is. He started being anxious with thunderstorms and fireworks around age 3. We have a prescription for the trazadone and find 1/2 a pill helps him, but it’s hard to predict when he’ll need one with random fireworks each night.

My friend gives her dog s chew called “Composure Pro” which she gets from her vet and they work well for her dog. I’m going to ask our vet about it at our next visit.

After he eats he almost seems to forget that he has eaten. The morning isn't like this at all. He begs and whines, he gets on and off the couch, paces, asks to go in and out. It is constant for two to three hours.

Poor thing is mostly blind and deaf.

In the morning he goes out, eats, goes out again, and then settles down to sleep for the majority of the day.
Thank you for answering. Is it possible she is having a GI upset after she eats? Pacing behavior can be because the dog is really uncomfortable. Sometimes dogs eat grass for this reason - it makes them vomit and they feel better. I have given my dogs Tums before with my vet’s blessing in cases of GI upset. It’s something you can try, perhaps. If she’s a small dog, you’d only need a small piece of one. If it seems to help, you could talk to your vet about giving something stronger on a regular basis.

Is she used to being crated? I prefer dogs on the couch, too, but maybe she’d feel secure in a small crate in times where she’s stressed, which, naturally, is like a den to dogs. Maybe something you could try. With lots of comfy blankets and a soft toy, maybe somewhere where she can still see you, or the goings on in the house, if she likes that. Maybe she could rest there instead of pacing, if she’s simply nervous.

I am a Reiki practitioner and I’ve done Reiki treatments on my dogs if they’re not feeling well. I think it helps. You can try it by just placing your hands over the dog in different areas (head, back, legs, stomach, wherever you think they’re uncomfortable), and keeping them there, in a calming manner, talking softly to your dog, while concentrating yourself on sending “healing energy” to the dog. They like it. It’s warm and soothing. This is an Eastern therapy that’s been used for hundreds of years (so don’t laugh, haha). It helps to be really calm yourself, and maybe keep sounds and noises in the house down low. My dogs respond well to a calm environment.

One of my dogs reacted badly just one year on 4th of July after we’d taken him to a parade and the guns being fired scared him. That year we did get the Thundershirt and the thunder chews (or something like that) and crated him, and he slept pretty peacefully through most of the evening, when it was loud. We’ve never had to use them again, though.

Good luck. I know it’s hard when our pets aren’t feeling well!

I would talk to your vet about anti-anxiety meds. There's no reason to let this continue.- My cat took amitriptyline that was compounded into a transdermal gel that we rubbed into her ear flap. She lived a much happier life, and so did we.

Hi Darnheather,
My cat is the same way too and certain loud noises freak him out. And when he hears fireworks he freaks out a lot and sometimes when my mom is holding him when the loud noises come he will jump and one time he did this and almost bit my mom. The other loud noises my cat hates are hair dryers and buzzers and also really loud TV shows. And he is afraid of towels and pillows too. Does your dog also freak out at buzzers too? Because I know buzzers are really loud and can scare a dog or cat a lot. It might be smart to ask your vet if there is something you can do to help your dog get over his fear of loud noises? Because with my cat when he hears really loud noises he will yowl and yowl a lot. Does your dog bark and bark when he hears the loud sounds too?
Hope you can help getting your dog's fear under control and good luck
Dodger

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter