Anxiety Over Trip With Chronic Pain?

MouseketeerKelsey

Mouseketeer
Hey guys. I've been to Disney quite a few times since my health became an issue. I always use a scooter and have become a pro at that by now. The thing is that things have gotten a lot worse since my last trip. My main problems are chronic pain and things like nausea from the level of pain.

What's weird is that as I am planning this trip, I am getting severe anxiety about it. I'm worried about getting through the trip and how much worse it will make me after because any time I do something that pushes me, I pay the price for it for a long while after.

My doctor gave me a cautious okay to go as long as I was in a wheelchair or ecv.

I was just wondering if anyone else had dealt with this and if so, how you were able to deal with it? I keep trying to tell myself that it will be alright but it's like my brain just doesn't believe it. I was also wondering if anyone had any tips for making the best of a trip when you are in a lot of pain.

Thanks!

I travel with my boyfriend that has Cerebral Palsy and uses a power wheelchair. He has several muscle cramps every day and arthritis and bursitis in his hip. Some days are very painful. On our Disney trips things are day by day. If he is having trouble in the parks we head to the first aid center and he lays down for a bit to relax and regroup. We set small goals for the day, things we want to get done and anything else past that is a bonus. We try to enjoy the surroundings and take in the magic more now, the rides and shows are great extras.

I have Fibro , arthritis in my hip and pins and screws in my back. I use a good pain meds and dont mess with the dose or miss one.. rest when needed.. my son and husband will go ahead and do the crazy speedy rides while i make my way to the next fastpast machine.. thats also the time i go get myself a Mickey ice cream.. or drink.. sit and people watch.. have a bite to eat etc...
We go every year. so I Have the luxury of NOT having to do everything...
Taking my time and doing the priority rides or meets etc first thing when Im at my best.. and then resting before moving on...

Hope you have a great trip

I ALWAYS schedule a day of NOTHING in the middle of the trip. as in hang around the hotel. we also book ones that have a hot tub as that helps both of us( he pushes me around all day) if the budget allows I book a massage for him for his back which gets tight with all the pushing and sometimes if they run specials I will go ahead and get one for me too. I am the queen of pre emptive drugs. I take a double dose( well most people cal it a double dose but being a Military dependent my go to is Vitamin M.. 800 Mgs Motrin.) with breakfast and set my iPhone to yell at me every 5 hours to take the next dose.

I also have chronic pain and anxiety. The most effective way I have found to manage the anxiety is to have a plan. Not a touring plan, but a plan for what possibly to do for each thing that I am worried about. AND then give myself permission to not follow the plan if it no longer works for me!

My brain is an expert at "what if's", so here are some examples:
What if I get high pain and exhaustion in the middle of the day? I will schedule enough days in my trip that I can go back to the hotel for a couple hours mid-day and still leave time for doing all or most of what I want to do. I will consider lying down at first aid for awhile.
What if I hurt so bad that I am sick and can't help myself? I will arrange ahead of time with a member of my group that they will help me get back to my room.
What if in the middle of a cue something bad happens? I'll ask a cast member for help (remember-self, they are nice and helpful). I'll leave the cue. I'll try again later.
What if two days into the trip I just can't do anymore and need to recover? I planned for a rest day at day two or three. I planned all the intense things in the first day or two so that if this happens (as it often does) I can do things extremely slowly and leisurely the remaining days. Before we go I identify the activities that I will likely enjoy that won't hurt me, a show, a parade, a slow ride, and then I plan to do that if I hurt and really focus on taking in all the details.

We are going to Disneyland/DCA in Feb and we will be there 7 days with a 5 day pass. This leaves lots of wiggle room to accommodate unexpected challenges, and lots of time to make up for a lost day. I'm also doing my best to avoid planning ANYTHING for the week or two after we get home so that I can recover.

I spend a lot of time prioritizing which attractions are must see, which rides are likely to hurt but I still want to do ONCE, and which things I will be kind of ok with missing. And I read books and guides that describe things to do at Disney that aren't rides. So for me I know that I love Indiana Jones ride but it hurts me, so I will plan to go on that either right before nap time or right before we leave the park, probably the evening before rest day, giving me time to recover. Being cold and wet is BAD for me, so I will do wet rides right before we leave for the evening and/or bring dry clothes. If I need an extremely slow and easy day I will look for the hidden Mickeys, or go on a treasure hunt for interesting details (can a find a light bulb painted two colors? Take a picture of each bronze statue). I want to second that "small goal" idea as well. And I remind myself that it is completely acceptable to not see and do everything!

For me writing down my worries is a big help for putting anxiety in check. And makes it easy to go back and look and get some idea of how to overcome that obstacle. Focusing on the solution can reduce anxiety.

For making the best of a trip when I'm in pain I pack with me things that comfort me and help ease my pain. For me that looks like: a small crochet project, a word puzzle book and pencils, something super soft (a blanket, shirt, pjs), my heating pad for at the hotel, my instant heat packs for in the park, my favorite ice pack, my favorite topical (tiger balm), a good book. At home I try to minimize the amount of medication for pain that I take. In the parks I will take meds on a schedule in hopes of staying ahead of the pain, because pain is much easier to prevent than to chase away after the fact. I try to focus on the positive. For me, I can deal with a lot more pain if I am doing sometime I fun, so I remind myself of this. I will put alarms on my phone to remember to eat take meds regularly, my pain skyrockets when I forget to eat. I also bring what is for me a ridiculous amount of shoes (I'm not a shoe fan). I'm not talking fashion shoes either. I bring my best walking shoes, my comfy ugg style boots that I wear as slippers, my flip flops for the pool, hiking boots - because sometimes they help, my hiking sandals, maybe a second pair of walking shoes because sometimes changing helps. I spent some time convincing myself that the extra expense of some of my strategies is worth it to have a good trip. And I saved up and budgeted for it. Yes, I will need a locker every day. Yes I will need to pay for the extra suitcase for the shoes and heating pads and other comfort items. Yes I need the bigger room with the kitchen. And yes, I will need to rent the ECV the whole time, and that's ok.

MouseketeerKelsey - you will be fine. Just keep reminding yourself that, although in pain, you are brave enough to go to Disney and have a life! You are doing the right thing by remaining as active as your body will allow.

Your own strength will get you through! Enjoy your vacation!

I have had pain for years, but its gotten worse the past couple of years. What I noticed this trip was I couldn't do multiple days like we use to do. I would do one day and rest 2. It limited how much we were able to get done, but I enjoyed the trip more.

'Thank you guys so much. You all have seriously helped a ton. The tips you gave are great and it helped to put my mind at ease.

I also have chronic pain and anxiety. The most effective way I have found to manage the anxiety is to have a plan. Not a touring plan, but a plan for what possibly to do for each thing that I am worried about. AND then give myself permission to not follow the plan if it no longer works for me!

My brain is an expert at "what if's", so here are some examples:
What if I get high pain and exhaustion in the middle of the day? I will schedule enough days in my trip that I can go back to the hotel for a couple hours mid-day and still leave time for doing all or most of what I want to do. I will consider lying down at first aid for awhile.
What if I hurt so bad that I am sick and can't help myself? I will arrange ahead of time with a member of my group that they will help me get back to my room.
What if in the middle of a cue something bad happens? I'll ask a cast member for help (remember-self, they are nice and helpful). I'll leave the cue. I'll try again later.
What if two days into the trip I just can't do anymore and need to recover? I planned for a rest day at day two or three. I planned all the intense things in the first day or two so that if this happens (as it often does) I can do things extremely slowly and leisurely the remaining days. Before we go I identify the activities that I will likely enjoy that won't hurt me, a show, a parade, a slow ride, and then I plan to do that if I hurt and really focus on taking in all the details.

We are going to Disneyland/DCA in Feb and we will be there 7 days with a 5 day pass. This leaves lots of wiggle room to accommodate unexpected challenges, and lots of time to make up for a lost day. I'm also doing my best to avoid planning ANYTHING for the week or two after we get home so that I can recover.

I spend a lot of time prioritizing which attractions are must see, which rides are likely to hurt but I still want to do ONCE, and which things I will be kind of ok with missing. And I read books and guides that describe things to do at Disney that aren't rides. So for me I know that I love Indiana Jones ride but it hurts me, so I will plan to go on that either right before nap time or right before we leave the park, probably the evening before rest day, giving me time to recover. Being cold and wet is BAD for me, so I will do wet rides right before we leave for the evening and/or bring dry clothes. If I need an extremely slow and easy day I will look for the hidden Mickeys, or go on a treasure hunt for interesting details (can a find a light bulb painted two colors? Take a picture of each bronze statue). I want to second that "small goal" idea as well. And I remind myself that it is completely acceptable to not see and do everything!

For me writing down my worries is a big help for putting anxiety in check. And makes it easy to go back and look and get some idea of how to overcome that obstacle. Focusing on the solution can reduce anxiety.

For making the best of a trip when I'm in pain I pack with me things that comfort me and help ease my pain. For me that looks like: a small crochet project, a word puzzle book and pencils, something super soft (a blanket, shirt, pjs), my heating pad for at the hotel, my instant heat packs for in the park, my favorite ice pack, my favorite topical (tiger balm), a good book. At home I try to minimize the amount of medication for pain that I take. In the parks I will take meds on a schedule in hopes of staying ahead of the pain, because pain is much easier to prevent than to chase away after the fact. I try to focus on the positive. For me, I can deal with a lot more pain if I am doing sometime I fun, so I remind myself of this. I will put alarms on my phone to remember to eat take meds regularly, my pain skyrockets when I forget to eat. I also bring what is for me a ridiculous amount of shoes (I'm not a shoe fan). I'm not talking fashion shoes either. I bring my best walking shoes, my comfy ugg style boots that I wear as slippers, my flip flops for the pool, hiking boots - because sometimes they help, my hiking sandals, maybe a second pair of walking shoes because sometimes changing helps. I spent some time convincing myself that the extra expense of some of my strategies is worth it to have a good trip. And I saved up and budgeted for it. Yes, I will need a locker every day. Yes I will need to pay for the extra suitcase for the shoes and heating pads and other comfort items. Yes I need the bigger room with the kitchen. And yes, I will need to rent the ECV the whole time, and that's ok.

One person in our most recent travel party suffers chronic, excruciating back pain and endured some tough times throughout. Wish this post (and entire thread) had been available before we'd left as it is chock-full of great advice which - no doubt - I'll keep in mind for next time. Thank you!

Hope you have a wonderful, comfortable trip, OP!

OP - all the tips you have been given sound awesome and are tips I will use when I go again. I alter my plan every time I go but the one that I have found effective is to arrive as early as I can on my first day (either early flights or early arrival when driving) then rest, regroup, recover, rehydrate, reorient myself to the area...........basically any "re" I can think of, then the next day is an early morning park day after a good nights sleep (well, as good as I can get) and leaving the park early that day to go back to the hotel to again do all the "re's", the next day I sleep in and take it easy in the morning/afternoon and go to the park later in the day and stay until later that evening. The 4th day of vacation is a total rest day, no park time but possibly Disney Springs later in the day or just a nice dinner some where. Depending on how long I am there I will repeat days 2-4 until I have to leave :( :( I have had the luxury of going to WDW for many, many years and I couldn't even dream of doing the parks the way I did in my younger, healthier years! I will say, I was crazy enough to do a full day split between opening AK and closing EP recently but we had 2 nice table service meals to recoup, we stopped often to people watch and relax and I actually used a scooter for the first time this trip - it was due to a stress fracture in my foot not my chronic pain though, otherwise we would have only done partial days at the parks on the days we went. Have a great trip, relax, enjoy yourself and don't overdo it. Use all the ideas that you have been given and you will figure out what works best for you. Listen to your body - you are the only one that knows what you can and can't do, and you know the price you will pay if you over do it.

Last edited:
Have to have rest days built into your trip. Go to the park day one day two rest. If you are having a bad day then stay at the hotel and take it easy. Have to leave day set up to play it by ear.

I've printed all of your posts and put them in my planning binder which I think will help a lot. Unfortunately we are going for only 3 day/2 nights so full rest days aren't an option but I've been making a list of rest activities. On our middle day which is our longest I planned it so we could go back to the hotel for about 5 hours mid day. I'm trying to make realistic goals and plans and just take the trip as it comes because hey, I'm at Disney World. If I have to be in pain, might as well be in pain at Disney!

Consider talking to your doctor about low level anxiety meds to compliment your pain medication. My mother had RA for 30 years and her pain management included small doses of Xanax for trips. Hope your vacation is amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter