• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Anticipating family member will want to stay with us

*and you are responsible for your dogs. They are not coming here.
We set that hard boundary with my husbands daughter years ago. We do not have dogs and theirs was a big dog with poor manners. No, do not bring your dog here. We never wavered. Now they have a different dog and the rules are the same. No one else has ever tried to bring their dog to my house, but my sister has this come up with her SIL. She too draws the line there. It’s your house OP. You make the rules.

This makes me so sad. So many lonely people
In the world, yet you’re trying to figure out how to keep her from visiting before she’s even suggested it much less over stayed her welcome.
I did not see the OP discouraging the cousin from visiting, only from staying in her home overnight when she does. She mentioned two things that would make having the cousin staying in her home difficult, the fact that she is a smoker and that the OP‘s mom is already staying there.

As someone who is allergic to tobacco smoke, I understand completely about not wanting someone who smokes staying in my home. Even if they smoke outside, smoke will linger on their clothes and can come in around doors, windows, and through the ventilation system. Smoking is a hard no for me when it comes to visitors.

As the former caretaker for my parents, it would have been a huge burden for anyone to visit and stay in the house with us (other than my sister who helped with their care). Even when things are going well, the added stress of monitoring the well being of someone every minute of the day is difficult at best. To add a visitor who needs to be fed and entertained on top of that is exhausting.

Neither of these reasons has anything to do with keeping the cousin from visiting, just finding her an alternate place to stay. There is nothing wrong with setting boundaries, and it is easier on both sides to do this from the start.

When I go to visit my sister, I always stay in a hotel. I like having some time to myself, and I don’t want to inconvenience her by staying in her small home. We spend plenty of time together while I am there, but I think if you asked her she would say she appreciates that I stay in a hotel. She has never asked me to, and she does have a guest room, but it simply feels more appropriate.

In people's efforts to not be rude, we often unconsciously tend towards lying, evading and passive aggressiveness instead. :rotfl2: It's a horrible habit we have trained ourselves into - being "polite" over being honest.

Really just have THE conversation in the best way possible. "Hey we'd love to have you out, I'll be honest, we DO NOT do well with actual overnight guests though so we'd love to put you up in the local hotel for 2 nights. We have this great restaurant we want to go to. Maybe we can go shopping. What are your thoughts?" etc.

I have a first cousin that lives on the other side of the country. Her parents have died and she is permanently estranged from her only sibling. She is moving much closer to us - 500 miles away instead of 2000.

She is excited that it will be easier for us to see each other. We are in touch daily through texts (usually initiated by her - it's a lot, but she doesn't have many people in her life.) I'm sure she will travel here once she's living so much closer. She's never asked to stay with us and I've never offered, but I am thinking it's assumed on her part. Just wondering how to handle this because we do have a guest room so if she comes to our house and I've told her she can't stay here, well, it will be awkward.

We aren't people with extra money, but I'd be willing to pay for a hotel just down the road (Comfort Inn) for maybe two nights. It would be worth it. I believe she smokes and I wouldn't want her smoking at our house (even outside), so I was thinking that might be my best reason to say a hotel would be a better fit. Plus, I think she would be uncomfortable in our house because my elderly mother lives with us and we have to keep the thermostat at 78. It's warm.

We love my cousin as family, but meeting her for lunch every few years when we were visiting her current area has been preferable to a longer visit. Other than DNA, we have very little in common. Any suggestions on the best way to handle this so no one is left feeling bad or unwanted?
Just give her a list of 2 or 3 nearest hotels. I wouldn’t offer to pay for the room.

Just observing from the outside some things ~

~ She is estranged from her sibling. Why?
~ She doesn't have many people in her life. Why?
~ Daily texts mostly initiated by her. Seems like a lot with so little in common.
~ She is traveling ... just to you ... no other reason ... just you?
~ If someone is traveling to be with one person only, bet they are assuming 24/7.
~ Is she from your area? Why is she moving so far and so close to you? Are you the reason?

Be very careful what door you open here. If she brings up a visit for sure give her the names of several hotels that might work and be near things of interest. Tell her when she is ready to make plans let you know so that you can set aside time to meet for lunch or dinner or visit local sites of interest. Find a cool place that you can offer to treat her.

I live 500 miles from Disney World and I assure you if I had a free place to stay, possibly meals provided and minimal cost I'd gladly go monthly. If she truly has no one in her life then driving to visit you for long weekends would be something she is looking to do. You need to nip this in the bud from the beginning so all goes smooth.

Bottom line your house right now is geared around your mother, she is your priority and overnight company is not something you are up for. Get a baseline of expectation done now. Good luck!
The reason she is estranged from her sibling is complicated (isn’t it always) and I only hear one side of a story which I don’t want to be in the middle of. This cousin who wants to visit has a very bad temper at times and she will let someone have it with swearing, etc. That sort of thing has made the sibling relationship worse. Not saying sometimes her anger isn’t justified, but she handles it in a way that makes things worse instead of better.

If she travels here it would be only to visit us. She really wants to see my mom (age 91).

She is moving because the house she was sharing with her parents had to be sold and divided as part of their estate. She has no other family she is close to where she lives now. She is moving to be closer to another cousin. Selling the house and moving has been so stressful and difficult. Would have been so much better if it could have worked out where she could stay where she lived and was comfortable but it wasn’t meant to be.

The reason she is estranged from her sibling is complicated (isn’t it always) and I only hear one side of a story which I don’t want to be in the middle of. This cousin who wants to visit has a very bad temper at times and she will let someone have it with swearing, etc. That sort of thing has made the sibling relationship worse. Not saying sometimes her anger isn’t justified, but she handles it in a way that makes things worse instead of better.

If she travels here it would be only to visit us. She really wants to see my mom (age 91).

She is moving because the house she was sharing with her parents had to be sold and divided as part of their estate. She has no other family she is close to where she lives now. She is moving to be closer to another cousin. Selling the house and moving has been so stressful and difficult. Would have been so much better if it could have worked out where she could stay where she lived and was comfortable but it wasn’t meant to be.
But still no reason not to set boundaries if they are even needed. Just say no if you even have to. Don't pay for the hotel.

You do not have to feel guilty. You can say no and rightfully so. Don't bring it up, don't offer, and don't feel compelled to pay for the hotel. It is truly ok.

Some might think we are awful, but we do this with our son and family. We have a small house. We'd love to see you, but make your arrangements. Just like when we visit you.
THIS^ Our society has created so much false obligation, guilt for doing what is best for oneself, always putting ourselves last and somehow responsible for others' life situations.

OP should not feel bad for not being comfortable housing someone or funding their vacation. Treating her to a nice meal or fun day is one thing ~ disagree they should pay for their hotel. We see so many stories on social media of people being upset their family member won't pay for their vacation or wedding or child's whatever. I love what one creator says "stop counting other people's money" and take care of yourself.

And no one should make assumptions about one's ability to host whether physically or emotionally or privacy etc. We have what is considered a large home ... assumptions might be made. We have 4 adults who live here, we have NO guest room, we have 3 offices (2 work from home, 1 works from home for their 2nd job). We have no extra bathrooms not taken over by people. On the rare occasion we have a relative stay someone gets kicked out of their room ....

I did not see the OP discouraging the cousin from visiting, only from staying in her home overnight when she does. She mentioned two things that would make having the cousin staying in her home difficult, the fact that she is a smoker and that the OP‘s mom is already staying there.

As someone who is allergic to tobacco smoke, I understand completely about not wanting someone who smokes staying in my home. Even if they smoke outside, smoke will linger on their clothes and can come in around doors, windows, and through the ventilation system. Smoking is a hard no for me when it comes to visitors.

As the former caretaker for my parents, it would have been a huge burden for anyone to visit and stay in the house with us (other than my sister who helped with their care). Even when things are going well, the added stress of monitoring the well being of someone every minute of the day is difficult at best. To add a visitor who needs to be fed and entertained on top of that is exhausting.

Neither of these reasons has anything to do with keeping the cousin from visiting, just finding her an alternate place to stay. There is nothing wrong with setting boundaries, and it is easier on both sides to do this from the start.

When I go to visit my sister, I always stay in a hotel. I like having some time to myself, and I don’t want to inconvenience her by staying in her small home. We spend plenty of time together while I am there, but I think if you asked her she would say she appreciates that I stay in a hotel. She has never asked me to, and she does have a guest room, but it simply feels more appropriate.
Agree. OP never said she didn't want to spend time with her cousin. She did say plenty of things that are red flags and it is important for OP to set hard boundaries now so that the "kinship" isn't jeopardized by things going down the wrong path.

So agree with the smoke. DS has a BF who smokes and visits from FAR out of town. He is very polite and smokes outside in a space that it doesn't drift in .... but what he doesn't realize is that he smells of smoke, his clothes smell of smoke and that transfers. Most his time is in DS apartment space where we set up a bed in living room for him. I love him dearly so we get through it, double wash linens etc But smoke to a non-smoking family is huge, even if they smoke outside.

Last edited:

This makes me so sad. So many lonely people
In the world, yet you’re trying to figure out how to keep her from visiting before she’s even suggested it much less over stayed her welcome.
Some people just aren't compatible to be around for extended periods of time.

It's nice to be nice, but sometimes people are unenjoyable to host overnight or for long periods of time. Nobody should be put in an uncomfortable position by an out of town visitor.

OP-Do NOT pay for hotel. My goodness. What kind of person would accept that offer? She should have the funds to pay for herself if she is traveling.

"Oh. But you have a guest room. I should be able to stay with you."

"I sleep in that room. Hubby snores. I can tell you what hotel (name a friend or family member) stays at when they come to town. Let's grab lunch while you are here!"

We set that hard boundary with my husbands daughter years ago. We do not have dogs and theirs was a big dog with poor manners. No, do not bring your dog here. We never wavered. Now they have a different dog and the rules are the same. No one else has ever tried to bring their dog to my house, but my sister has this come up with her SIL. She too draws the line there. It’s your house OP. You make the rules.
There is only one dog that I allow in my home. It is my daughter's very well behaved, non-shedding miniature schnauzer. She always asks, and I love that darn dog. So I always say yes. Feelings have been hurt that I say no to other dogs. I just don't like all animals equally. Lol.

~ She is estranged from her sibling. Why?
~ She doesn't have many people in her life. Why?
~ Daily texts mostly initiated by her. Seems like a lot with so little in common.
~ She is traveling ... just to you ... no other reason ... just you?
~ If someone is traveling to be with one person only, bet they are assuming 24/7.
~ Is she from your area? Why is she moving so far and so close to you? Are you the reason?
1702659188578.jpeg
I'm pretty sure you're not from NJ, but I couldn't resist;)

In people's efforts to not be rude, we often unconsciously tend towards lying, evading and passive aggressiveness instead. :rotfl2: It's a horrible habit we have trained ourselves into - being "polite" over being honest.

Really just have THE conversation in the best way possible. "Hey we'd love to have you out, I'll be honest, we DO NOT do well with actual overnight guests though so we'd love to put you up in the local hotel for 2 nights. We have this great restaurant we want to go to. Maybe we can go shopping. What are your thoughts?" etc.

This is the way I'd handle it.

And for those saying don't pay for the hotel - I'm the reverse. It costs a LOT of money and time to go out to see someone (I spent almost 2 decades doing that going family member to family member, always as the one visiting, until I got sick...and now the reverse finally happens). If someone in my family is willing to take vacation, pay for travel, and visit me, I'd be happy to put them up in a hotel for a night or two and make them a great meal (and I have done both). It's the least I could if I wanted to see them.

Now, if I didn't want to see them, the housing issue would be the easy avoidance. But it sounds like Op wants a visit, just doesn't want a visit with the family member also in her house 24-7.

I remembered a previous incident many years ago that remind me being subtle doesn't really work with this cousin. She knew we were going to Disney and said she wanted to come with us because there were a lot of things regarding her sibling and how she was treated by them, things her sibling had done in the past, etc. that she wanted to share with me. How fun would that be to listen to while walking down Main Street USA?!!

In our texts, I just kept ignoring the request to come to Disney with us. She finally said why don't you answer me about the Disney trip and then I told her I really wanted it to be just our family because we hadn't had a family vacation in several years. Most people would have gotten the hint that it wasn't something I wanted and wouldn't keep pushing it.

Honestly? Just be honest with her. It sounds like she would be unwelcome even if you try not be make her feel that, I would hate traveling 500 miles to visit someone expecting a family excited to see me and then realize that I am not. It would suck. Just tell her the truth clearly. If she is welcome to visit your mother then explain how you can arrange that (meeting at restaurants/ hotels/ everything other posters have said) but don't fake it just to be polite, she will notice and it's gonna be worse than just telling the truth.

View attachment 817901
I'm pretty sure you're not from NJ, but I couldn't resist;)

Why, yes I am! but I do not live there now. 2/3 of my kids born there.

My questions are the Nancy Drew (or Perry Mason) in me .... sometimes the answers are the parameters of the problem that help lead to a solution.

1702660414347.png

I remembered a previous incident many years ago that remind me being subtle doesn't really work with this cousin. She knew we were going to Disney and said she wanted to come with us because there were a lot of things regarding her sibling and how she was treated by them, things her sibling had done in the past, etc. that she wanted to share with me. How fun would that be to listen to while walking down Main Street USA?!!

In our texts, I just kept ignoring the request to come to Disney with us. She finally said why don't you answer me about the Disney trip and then I told her I really wanted it to be just our family because we hadn't had a family vacation in several years. Most people would have gotten the hint that it wasn't something I wanted and wouldn't keep pushing it.

OH MY 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩 Brings a whole new level to the story. Reminds me of my SIL. Her DH has no interest in traveling. My DH traveled globally for work for many years. She would constantly ask him to take her with him (knowing he had a hotel and we had FF points she'd gladly ask for). Seriously?! He would just ignore her, change conversation etc. Now she has so far managed to go on a cruise with 6 couples (and just her) and this year went to a romantic part of Mexico with a cousin and his wife (just her 😲). Why not with her female relatives (has two DILs) or a group of girlfriends? Maybe none of them want to travel with her ..... Some people just don't get it so the best response is ignore them.

Sounds like you might need to not return her texts too often.

And if she says she is planning a trip, be firm, give her the names of some hotels and offer to plan some time with her.

Last edited:
Honestly? Just be honest with her. It sounds like she would be unwelcome even if you try not be make her feel that, I would hate traveling 500 miles to visit someone expecting a family excited to see me and then realize that I am not. It would suck. Just tell her the truth clearly. If she is welcome to visit your mother then explain how you can arrange that (meeting at restaurants/ hotels/ everything other posters have said) but don't fake it just to be polite, she will notice and it's gonna be worse than just telling the truth.
That is not true at all. We always make time to see her and meet for lunch when we're in her area. It's an enjoyable time! We saw her and had lunch just last year. I am happy to have her come to our house and see my mom. My mom will love sharing stories and visiting with her, but my mom also doesn't want her staying here overnight either. We already have four people in our home. It's just a fact that with some people a little bit of time together goes a long way!

That is not true at all. We always make time to see her and meet for lunch when we're in her area. It's an enjoyable time! We saw her and had lunch just last year. I am happy to have her come to our house and see my mom. My mom will love sharing stories and visiting with her, but my mom also doesn't want her staying here overnight either. We already have four people in our home. It's just a fact that with some people a little bit of time together goes a long way!
Ah gotcha, some comments lead me to believe you didn't actually wanted her to go. Still, be honest with her! She will understand and no need to lie or muddle just to be polite. :)

Burn that bridge when you come to it. When you do, simply tell her that overnight guests are not something you can accommodate. End of explanation. If she presses further simply tell her that your household does not enjoy overnight guests, finding it stressful and uncomfortable for all involved.

This cousin who wants to visit has a very bad temper at times and she will let someone have it with swearing, etc.
this would prevent me from having any association with paying for the hotel. if she goes off on someone you do not need your name/reputation tied to it b/c your name is somehow tied via a credit card to the lodging.
I remembered a previous incident many years ago that remind me being subtle doesn't really work with this cousin.
then you need to be direct. don't get into it unless she brings up the subject of visiting and then just directly say that you need to make her aware before she makes any plans that she will need to make her own lodging arrangements b/c you can't accommodate any overnite visitors. in fact-if she's a heavy smoker, esp. with your mom being 91, i would tell her that she's going to need to keep in mind that visits with your mom at your home will have to be limited in duration (if she's there for hours on end and going outside to smoke the smell will end up in your home-not good for lungs period, very bad for 91 year old ones).

is she someone who will expect you to host/entertain/tour her around the whole visit? if so i would be clear on how available/unavailable you would be.

Bottom line your house right now is geared around your mother, she is your priority and overnight company is not something you are up for. Get a baseline of expectation done now. Good luck!
I think this is the best explanation.

As for whether I'd offer to pay for a hotel, it would depend on:
  • How much she already had to spend on the travel itself (or missing work) and whether that was a stretch for her,
  • how much extra I had sitting around, and
  • how often these trips were going to happen, because I wouldn't want to set a precedent I didn't want to continue!

"stop counting other people's money"
I really like this quote! Different than being sensitive to whether someone can afford something, like the hotel above, I take the quote to be saying that it's not healthy to constantly think about other people having more than you do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter