Another Tipping Thread. These Are Always Fun

Why? Why is one ok to spout off the living wage mantra but no one allowed to comment about it? Stuff like this is important. Perhaps it won't affect you much, maybe you'll be forced to retire with $5 million rather than $6 million in your 401k, but for the vast majority of people who make regular incomes, moving the bottom up to that level puts the vast majority of people on the bottom and that is not good.
Why? Because I find it disgusting that some people have no problem with others, who work full time, living in poverty as long as their life isn't affected in any way.

Last edited:
Why? Why is one ok to spout off the living wage mantra but no one allowed to comment about it? Stuff like this is important. Perhaps it won't affect you much, maybe you'll be forced to retire with $5 million rather than $6 million in your 401k, but for the vast majority of people who make regular incomes, moving the bottom up to that level puts the vast majority of people on the bottom and that is not good.
I think the problem is across the board, when employers from huge corporations to small businesses pay the type of minimum wages that were common just 5 yrs ago ($7-10/hr not uncommon) the middle class taxpayers end up paying the gap for services that keep these people afloat.

If a business model only works by relying on government assistance for employees to meet the basics in life, that business model is not sustainable and should fail. It surely shouldn’t be seeing higher profits year after year. It is a vampire.

Why? Because I find it disgusting that some people have no problem with others, who work full time, living in poverty as long as their life isn't affected in any way.
So it's only ok for people to express opinions that agree with you? There is a difference between a career and a job, and you are never going to legislate people out of poverty through the minimum wage.
Ever hear the phrase, "A rising tide raises all boats"? That's the point.
Mandating "Living" wage as the minimum wage doesn't raise all boats, it drags people under. Look at the cost of living in those places with the highest minimum wage. It would be impossible to live in SF or NYC at $25/hr, you could live very well in most of the midwest or south at those wages.

Hopefully the table of 9 had gratuity automatically added. If not, the fact they had several small children whose meals didn’t cost much, I’m betting Katrina didn’t get enough tip to make up for the trouble they gave her

The menu did say a 20% gratuity will be added for parties of 8 or more. But they had only 6 adults, so who knows.

Hopefully the table of 9 had gratuity automatically added. If not, the fact they had several small children whose meals didn’t cost much, I’m betting Katrina didn’t get enough tip to make up for the trouble they gave her

I would say 8 times out of 10, the most unreasonable customers or disgusting ones (pig families whose kids ruin other diners' experiences and leave an absolute mess) are the WORST tippers or even stiff the servers outright. (Real world experience talking here.)

I can’t tell you how many times we have added tip w/ o realizing it was auto included. I finally learned ...
We were just at WDW with a party of 7 and tips were automatically added. My husband always asked but the servers that handed him the bill and said your gratuity has been added got an extra $20-$30 thrown in.

I’ve given up.

20% for sit-down service. 10% take-out. I don’t get food delivery, so don’t have to worry about that.

If an auto-tip is added (like “all parties will be charged 18%” or whatever), that’s what they get.

So it's only ok for people to express opinions that agree with you? There is a difference between a career and a job, and you are never going to legislate people out of poverty through the minimum wage.

Mandating "Living" wage as the minimum wage doesn't raise all boats, it drags people under. Look at the cost of living in those places with the highest minimum wage. It would be impossible to live in SF or NYC at $25/hr, you could live very well in most of the midwest or south at those wages.

Where did I say he couldn't express his opinion? He asked why I shook my head. I answered his question.

When you go to pizza place like domino's, pizza hut, etc, to pick up pizza, do you tip? I never have....what about drive thru like burger king, do you tip?

Until a few months ago, I never tipped at the couple of take out food places we visit. Now we only tip at a local chinese place because they are only take out at the moment. Mostly cause I know their normal set up had to change and I'm sure they have lost business.

I've never done take out at place like applebees or Texas roadhouse, I don't know what (if any) you would tip in that case.

Fast food takeout prior to allergies - no.
Fast food takeout after allergies if I list my allergy on the order and/or customize the product - yes.

Special service is always a special tip, even if the workers are making the $15/hour...not a huge one, but enough to matter, depending if it's a scoop of sorbet at Baskin Robbins or a sub without cheese at Subway...

Where did I say he couldn't express his opinion? He asked why I shook my head. I answered his question.
So you only answered the first word of their post but not the next line that asked the question why it is not acceptable to question the living wage mantra?

So you only answered the first word of their post but not the next line that asked the question why it is not acceptable to question the living wage mantra?
I thought it was ill advised for me to say what I really think about someone wanting others to be on the bottom, so they aren't.

When you go to places that pay server minimum (usually 2 to 5 depending on state) then you tip for takeout. Those folks are working to take your order, get your food boxed and ready, cashing you out, for server pay of a few dollars an hour.

Do the workers at the pizza place make 2 an hour or 12 an hour. It makes a difference.

Some servers are paid a lower tipped minimum wage. Some are paid minimum wage. Some are paid more than minimum wage.

Some servers keep all their tips. Some tip out bartenders, bussers, etc. Some pool tips and basically have to split with everyone else.

So, how am I supposed to figure out what tip is required? Do any restaurants publicize the above information? I have no idea whether any individual restaurant pays more or less than another, or how any of them handle the tips.

Yes, I agree that if someone is making $2/hr they need tips to make a decent wage. But if someone is making $12/hr they don't need the same amount of tips to make a decent wage since their base pay is higher to start. The fact that it is left up to the customer (who doesn't have the relevant information to make a decision) to add a tip (or not) makes absolutely no sense to me. The system is stupid.

Heard of a hotel in NV that is charging $5 automatically as a "Housekeeping gratuity" on a one night stay. Now I will tip housekeeping if we are there for a while, get really good service or make a big mess. There is no way it should be an automatic charge, especially at that amount.

I almost always tip housekeepers for a one
night stay, even though she never personally services the room while we were there.

I’ve taken to tipping daily instead of at the end of longer stays. You never know if the same person cleans your room every day.

Tips like these and car valets, bell-persons, etc. are why I always still carry cash with me.

What is a living wage? Who determines that? The lower income folk? The people who worked their tails off to make a living wage? The people who rear end kissed their way? The ones who want to control all of us?

If we pay everyone a "living wage" now, what happens tomorrow when the inflation takes us right back to where we were except now those who were making that living wage is now at the bottom with everyone you elevated when you elevated the bottom?
I don't think living wages is a reasonable driver of inflation and if it is we have some serious problems with supply. We can reduce inflation by making more of what is wanted and opening up competition, which should actually happen naturally in response to the promise of earnings. If the solution to meeting demand is sweeping the legs of those who have less-than we are on the decline socially & then inflation is nowhere near the top of worries.

Allowing people to feed themselves and afford basic necessities is not the same as opening the spigots on disposable income.
There is more than one way to address inflationary pressure & I prefer increasing supply at the moment because it creates jobs and jobs stop the need of cash infusions.

I also tip well and it's almost always cash in someone's hand.

I got back from a trip last week. One restaurant I liked simply had a sign on the door saying that they are a "non-tipping" restaurant and 20% is automatically added. There was no additional tip line.

A different restaurant charged an automatic 22% "happy people" fee and then asked for an additional tip on top. I ordered a $25 pasta dish for lunch -- it had about $4 worth of ingredients and that's assuming the chicken was a "very happy" chicken.

I don't like the tip lines that have appeared when you use a credit card at Panera and the like. I place my order, then I go pick up my order when it's ready, and get my own drink. What service is being provided for that tip? You can hit "no tip" but then I feel bad, so I usually do 10% (I think the options are no, 10 and 15). I thought tipping was for servers vs cashiers or food prep and that was reflected in their pay. Now, when you place an order, but get a number and someone brings your food to you at your table, that seems a little different to me and warrants tipping.

I don't like the tip lines that have appeared when you use a credit card at Panera and the like. I place my order, then I go pick up my order when it's ready, and get my own drink. What service is being provided for that tip? You can hit "no tip" but then I feel bad, so I usually do 10% (I think the options are no, 10 and 15). I thought tipping was for servers vs cashiers or food prep and that was reflected in their pay. Now, when you place an order, but get a number and someone brings your food to you at your table, that seems a little different to me and warrants tipping.
Same thing at Moe’s. It gave options for set dollar amounts. I selected $1 just to be nice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter