Another Shooting, Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.
LaPierre and all the other's have done their job great. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15_style_rifle In 1956, ArmaLite designed a lightweight assault rifle for military use and designated it the ArmaLite Rifle-15, or AR-15.[7][8][9] Due to financial problems, and limitations in terms of manpower and production capacity, ArmaLite sold the design and the AR-15 trademark to Colt's Manufacturing Company in 1959.[10] In 1964, Colt began selling its own version with an improved semi-automatic design known as the Colt AR-15.[11] After Colt's patents expired in 1977, an active marketplace emerged for other manufacturers to produce and sell their own AR-15 style rifles.[1]

What the devil does that first sentence even mean? I have no idea who "LaPierre and all the others" even is. Some of us don't actually debate using the opinions and ideas of others. Some of us actually research a topic and get our opinion from that and from what we observe around us. Gun owners, what they use said guns for, etc.

And regardless of your opinion of the AR-15 do you honestly believe that if we get rid of them, all these shooting will just magically stop? If you do, the person that needs a history lesson is staring at you in the mirror.

What the devil does that first sentence even mean? I have no idea who "LaPierre and all the others" even is. Some of us don't actually debate using the opinions and ideas of others. Some of us actually research a topic and get our opinion from that and from what we observe around us. Gun owners, what they use said guns for, etc.

And regardless of your opinion of the AR-15 do you honestly believe that if we get rid of them, all these shooting will just magically stop? If you do, the person that needs a history lesson is staring at you in the mirror.

Well actually I highly research things, everything, and have put on here highly researched FACTS, and not anything is an opinion and since this went over your head, maybe if you weren't so influenced by the propaganda you would be able to differentiate.

Last edited:
Actually Hikergirl, I think all those opinion stations need to go, all of them

That is the way the term is used now but our actual FF didn't want a large gov military "standing army" either, they felt that people would be exploited, having wars not always in their best interests, so they wanted to have a militia of the people which of course we don't have now in the US, except for the National Guard, as regular people are not in it, since regular people are not soldiers. So they can't use this to justify having these weapons as they are not soldiers. James Madison: In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defense against foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people.

Madison also noted that never-ending war tends to destroy both liberty and prosperity:

Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied: and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals, engendered by both. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.

"ArmaLite designed a lightweight assault rifle for military use and designated it the ArmaLite Rifle-15, or AR-15.[7][8][9]" It doesn't matter what it is called regardless.

The original AR-15 design was a full-auto. Colt altered it and called it the M16, again full auto. They then created the SEMI-auto civilian version sold to the public as the AR-15.

All of this info is in your posts. Why do you fail to recognize that?

As for military designs:

The Brown Bess musket is a British military design.

The Colt Revolver and Winchester lever action were developed for the US Military in the 1800’s.

The modern bolt action hunting rifle is a German military design (as is the 9mm pistol which our own troops carry today).

The 1911 pistol (the most popular handgun in the US) was designed for the Military prior to WWI.

The model 12 pump action shotgun was the most feared weapon in the trenches of WWI and continued in service through Vietnam.

The top 3 most popular hunting calibers in the US (.30-06, .308, and .223) were ALL developed for the US military.

The current most popular revolver caliber (.38 special) was carried by the US military prior to the model 1911, and by airmen up through Vietnam (and then some).

So, if your basis for outlawing an AR-15 is the fact it’s based partially on a military design, you need to cast a much wider net.

WI have about 6 gun supporters replying to me lol, maybe more, there are so many here.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but that happens every time there is a thread about gun violence. The numerous posts back and forth and detailed gun explanations distract from original reason why the post was made: another horrible mass murder using an AR-15 firearm. I stopped engaging a couple pages back hoping that the thread may return to the tragedy in TN.

Well actually I highly research things, everything, since this went over your head maybe if you weren't so influenced by the propaganda you would be able to differentiate.

Actually, despite your contention that you research these things fully, and that you have friends & family who all know some things about guns, it’s quite clear you really do not know much about guns beyond the results of your Google searches. You have an opinion, as is your right. But, it is clearly not an informed opinion.

That’s not to say an informed person wouldn’t or couldn’t share your opinion. Of course they could.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course, but that happens every time there is a thread about gun violence. The numerous posts back and forth and detailed gun explanations distract from original reason why the post was made: another horrible mass murder using an AR-15 firearm. I stopped engaging a couple pages back hoping that the thread may return to the tragedy in TN.

If you’re going to insist on focusing on the weapon chosen, you’re going to have to accept the fact that a discussion will ensue comparing said weapon to others of similar (or greater) lethality. You can’t make a point of it and expect nobody to respond. That’s not how discussions work.

Don't bring facts into this, it kills the agenda. LOL
Actually, despite your contention that you research these things fully, and that you have friends & family who all know some things about guns, it’s quite clear you really do not know much about guns beyond the results of your Google searches. You have an opinion, as is your right. But, it is clearly not an informed opinion.

That’s not to say an informed person wouldn’t or couldn’t share your opinion. Of course they could.

And yes, look into your own words don't bring facts into it because it kills the agenda, that is for you all. You don't like the facts so you dismiss them. Most of the country would disagree with you Gumbo. So here is another FACT, just because you don't like my facts, they are still FACTS. I'll make it clearer to you. You were never intended to be able to have any gun you want when you cite the constitution, that was for soldiers a militia of men who were trained to be soldiers to defend the country as there was no large standing army as there is now. So that is the fact. So if you want to go round and round about what an AR 15 is or is not, and no it is NOT intended to hunt with.
These are the facts and Jefferson was afraid that a standing army would be used against the people, not the way you stated to me in your private post. So again - James Madison: In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defense against foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people.

Madison also noted that never-ending war tends to destroy both liberty and prosperity:

Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few. In war, too, the discretionary power of the Executive is extended; its influence in dealing out offices, honors, and emoluments is multiplied: and all the means of seducing the minds, are added to those of subduing the force, of the people. The same malignant aspect in republicanism may be traced in the inequality of fortunes, and the opportunities of fraud, growing out of a state of war, and in the degeneracy of manners and of morals, engendered by both. No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.

Last edited:

While I agree with your overall point your "using an AR-15 firearm" part is irrelevant. I think that's why people try to respond with information regarding guns even though yes it distracts from the overall incident because the fact that it was an AR-15 doesn't inherently mean we should pay attention to the incident because of that, doesn't mean the incident wouldn't have occurred if another type of firearm was used, etc. To focus on the AR-15 aspect means we start to lose sight of certain aspects of the issue. Such as this was a person who was obviously mentally ill, such as this was a case where someone else gave him firearms he was not supposed to have and it was his own father, etc.

Well actually I highly research things, everything, and have put on here highly researched FACTS, and not anything is an opinion and since this went over your head, maybe if you weren't so influenced by the propaganda you would be able to differentiate.

First off, no apparently not.

Secondly, what propaganda would be speaking of? What is it you think I am listening to or reading? I don't know who the person you keep referring to is but I can assure you nothing you say can possibly go over my head. And since I honestly haven't given my full opinion, you wouldn't have a clue what side of this or any gun debate I am on. I do know that if you outlaw one gun, another will take its place. That is just common sense.

I also know that several school shooting that were some of the worst, did not include an AR-15 and the same can be said for other mass shootings. So the AR15 is not the end all and be all of this problem and to pretend it is, is simply sticking your head in the sand and wanting an easy fix.

And yes, look into your own words don't bring facts into it because it kills the agenda, that is for you all. You don't like the facts so you dismiss them. Most of the country would disagree with you Gumbo. So here is another FACT, just because you don't like my facts, they are still FACTS. I'll make it clearer to you. You were never intended to be able to have any gun you want when you cite the constitution, that was for soldiers a militia of men who were trained to be soldiers to defend the country as there was no large standing army as there is now. So that is the fact. So if you want to go round and round about what an AR 15 is or is not, and no it is NOT intended to hunt with.
These are the facts and Jefferson was afraid that a standing army would be used against the people, not the way you stated to me in your private post. So again - James Madison: In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defense against foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people.

Changing the subject is a popular tactic for those who find themselves on the losing end of an argument. The FACT is I have not once cited the Constitution in this discussion, nor is it particularly relevant TO the discussion, but you keep running back to it every time someone points out your errors on OTHER things.

I will not engage your 2nd Amendment opinions (which are just that - opinions), but I will be happy to explain the FACTS about the origins of various weapons and how they compare in lethality to other common (and not so common) weapons in circulation.

We can talk about the FACTS as they pertain to rate of fire, inertia, momentum, velocity, energy, stopping power, or any other facts as dictated by math and physics....if you’re interested.

Changing the subject is a popular tactic for those who find themselves on the losing end of an argument. The FACT is I have not once cited the Constitution in this discussion, nor is it particularly relevant TO the discussion, but you keep running back to it every time someone points out your errors on OTHER things.

I will not engage your 2nd Amendment opinions (which are just that - opinions), but I will be happy to explain the FACTS about the origins of various weapons and how they compare in lethality to other common (and not so common) weapons in circulation.

We can talk about the FACTS as they pertain to rate of fire, inertia, momentum, velocity, energy, stopping power, or any other facts as dictated by math and physics....if you’re interested.

Well first off, I never said that AR 15s are the only issue or even give my personal opinion in the beginning of how I felt about them, that was twisted and pulled out of context by the gun GANG OF 8 on here, there is about 8 gun people that are messaging me, replying to me, ganging up, twisting what I am saying, etc., my main point was that the talking points right now are about stricter gun control, more background checks, many things and maybe getting rid of some of the AR 15 type weapons, I didn't even say my views on the AR 15 at first, was kind of pushed into that topic. I was speaking of the fact that LaPierre and Fox News, and Beck and all the others that people listen to on a regular basis and some politicians even, make it seem like any regulations on guns at all means they are taking all your guns away. That was my point. It got twisted into this by people taking parts of what I said out of context. Then I finally went along with what they were saying and tried to give my personal views about it. The fact is that any gun people I know and even you all on here, don't want regulations do you. If you do lets talk about what you do want and what can be done, but really what I have seen on here is the same baloney, no regulations, all guns are ok, and I put on on here that even the very FF intended guns to be for the militia for the men who were well trained soldiers, a well regulated militia who were trained to defend our country against foreign invaders, etc. bc there was not a large standing military like there is now. That is a fact. Stop saying i'm not putting on facts bc I am, just bc you don't like them doesn't make them not facts. All I see is what you don't want as far as guns and LaPierre and Fox News and the like are tied with the gun people and push that agenda and message, that any regulations means they will come and take all your guns away and actually I put on here that LaPierre stated even farther, they the g want to take all your rights away, obvious fear mongering propaganda, bc it certainly makes them a lot of money. It's all about the money. I live in NY state, they did not take away the AR 15s totally, you have to limit the rounds in them or something, I'm about having the talk, the discussion, from people on all sides not just these crazy propaganda things. What I am saying is not propaganda, it is fact.
FACT: So again - James Madison: In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defense against foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people.

Last edited:
Well first off, I never said that AR 15s are the only issue or even give my personal opinion in the beginning of how I felt about them, that was twisted by the gun GANG OF 8 on here, there is about 8 gun people that are messaging me, replying to me, ganging twisting what I am saying, etc., my point was that the talking points right now are about gun regulations, more background checks, many things and maybe getting rid of some of the AR 15 type weapons, I didn't even say my views on the AR 15 at first, was kind of pushed into that topic. I was speaking of the fact that LaPierre and Fox News, and Beck and all the others that people listen to on a regular basis and some politicians even, make it seem like any regulations on guns at all means they are taking all your guns away. That was my point. It got twisted into this by people taking parts of what I said out of context. Then I finally went along with what they were saying and tried to give my personal views about it. The fact is that any gun people I know and even you all on here, you don't want regulations do you. If you do lets talk about what you do want and what can be done, but really what I have seen on here is the same baloney, no regulations, all guns are ok, and I put on on here that even the very FF intended guns to be for the militia for the men who were well trained and well regulated militia who were trained to defend our country against foreign invaders, etc. That is a fact. Stop saying i'm not putting on facts bc I am, just bc you don't like them doesn't make m not facts. All I see is what you don't want as far as guns and LaPierre and Fox News and the like are tied with the gun people and push that agenda and message, that any regulations means they will come and take all your guns away and actually I put on here that LaPierre stated even farther, they want to take all your rights away, obvious propaganda, bc it certainly makes them a lot of money. I live in NY state, they did not take away the AR 15s totally, you have to limit the rounds in them or something, I'm about having the talk, the discussion, from people on all sides not just these crazy propaganda things. What I am saying is not propaganda, it is fact.
FACT: So again - James Madison: In time of actual war, great discretionary powers are constantly given to the Executive Magistrate. Constant apprehension of War, has the same tendency to render the head too large for the body. A standing military force, with an overgrown Executive will not long be safe companions to liberty. The means of defense against foreign danger, have been always the instruments of tyranny at home. Among the Romans it was a standing maxim to excite a war, whenever a revolt was apprehended. Throughout all Europe, the armies kept up under the pretext of defending, have enslaved the people.

Oh, puhleaze. Stop playing a victim, no one is twisting anything. They are disagreeing with what you say.

Personally, I have no problems with more ownership regulations. But I think that until we make the ones we have work the way they are supposed to, we are just going to be chasing our tails. First we need to fix what we have and THEN we can look have making more.

You are assuming that all gun owners or those that know anything about guns are all listening to Fox News? Seriously? You are making a whole lot of assumptions here that could not be further from the truth. Not one person here has said they believe all guns would be taken away.

But here is the thing, guns have been around a long, long time. Why has the problem of these kind of incidents getting more frequent? The guns haven't changed so much, people have.

Around here, in school and just driving down the road, every pick up truck you would meet had a gun rack in the window and at least one gun in it. During hunting season, these same vehicles would have the rack full and one or two behind the seat. Most of the time a pistol too. And yet, we didn't have a place shot up everyday. What changed? Not gun ownership. Not the fact that any of those guns could have killed people. But something did. Until we figure out what, this problem isn't going away. We can't just focus on the tool the killers use, we have to start focusing on the killer themselves and what got them to that point.

Yes changing the fact of the argument or diverting to something else which is what all the gun lovers on here have been doing to me lol.

Wow that is pretty hypocritical LMAO. This blog would be totally one sided to your side as it is only I and maybe 1 or maybe 2 other people besides me giving the other side. That looks to be what YOU are doing, you don't want an opposing opinion. I have about 6 gun supporters replying to me lol, maybe more, there are so many here. They like to operate as gangs also hehe, kidding but not lol. So if anything looks like you don't like an intelligent opposing response to the and that is what YOU are doing. I am giving facts putting real facts on. Not propaganda.

I invite you to call out my responses via quote and show everyone where I've discussed guns on this thread and show everyone in black and white precisely what I have been saying and the propaganda I've put out in the thread. (Spoiler alert, it's a bit of a wild goose chase.)

BTW, none of my responses to the thread have been edited, which everyone can see just by looking for themselves.

Clearly I'm part of a gang opposed to unintelligent discourse, THAT'S very obviously why I chose to respond to your comment above.

Oh, puhleaze. Stop playing a victim, no one is twisting anything. They are disagreeing with what you say.

Personally, I have no problems with more ownership regulations. But I think that until we make the ones we have work the way they are supposed to, we are just going to be chasing our tails. First we need to fix what we have and THEN we can look have making more.

You are assuming that all gun owners or those that know anything about guns are all listening to Fox News? Seriously? You are making a whole lot of assumptions here that could not be further from the truth. Not one person here has said they believe all guns would be taken away.

But here is the thing, guns have been around a long, long time. Why has the problem of these kind of incidents getting more frequent? The guns haven't changed so much, people have.

Around here, in school and just driving down the road, every pick up truck you would meet had a gun rack in the window and at least one gun in it. During hunting season, these same vehicles would have the rack full and one or two behind the seat. Most of the time a pistol too. And yet, we didn't have a place shot up everyday. What changed? Not gun ownership. Not the fact that any of those guns could have killed people. But something did. Until we figure out what, this problem isn't going away. We can't just focus on the tool the killers use, we have to start focusing on the killer themselves and what got them to that point.

You see what I mean, lol, you actually just made my point. Yes I believe many watch Fox which is obvious bc they endlessly quote Fox and others. And to make it clear to you, I believe gun owners that don't want regulations or stronger regulations, many, a great majority watch those shows, and that is my own personal experience also. I said I was a victim, really? SMH. I was saying "gang" half tongue in cheek but yes it is happening lol. I said that people on here are twisting or diverting bc frankly, they don't like the facts or are losing the argument. The reason we have more violence is a complex one but has a lot to do with social media also, the opinion news stations, and all the other crazy things, fear mongering and misinformation their heads are filled with every day, "WE NEVER HAD THAT IN THE PAST not when I was growing up, including violence on tv movies, games, etc. and dissatisfaction with their life, our society, family issues, money issues, a lack of healthy connections, etc. and bombardment with misinformation from special interests in power who are just interested in one thing, making money. I do long for the world I grew up in watching Disney every Sunday night with the family, playing outside, no social media, no opinion news stations but just news.

Last edited:
Actually Detroit has had a problem with streetlamps being stolen and vandalized for scrap metal -- I'm not sure specifically copper.

That's a relief!

I understood the point you were making, and I agree. I'm fairly certain that if eliminating crime and murder were purely a matter of law humanity might have worked out the solution by now.

Actually a large part of the problem in Detroit was exactly lights out on the side of the highway because thieves had vandalized the streetlamps for scrap. It also resulted in many more of the lights going out because of the way the system was integrated.

What does this mean? My takeaway is you want to speak your piece and be heard, but you don't wish anyone who has a different viewpoint to speak their piece. On a discussion board people discuss. Blogs are more of a one-sided situation.

I invite you to call out my responses via quote and show everyone where I've discussed guns on this thread and show everyone in black and white precisely what I have been saying and the propaganda I've put out in the thread. (Spoiler alert, it's a bit of a wild goose chase.)

BTW, none of my responses to the thread have been edited, which everyone can see just by looking for themselves.

Clearly I'm part of a gang opposed to unintelligent discourse, THAT'S very obviously why I chose to respond to your comment above.

In the interest of transparency I decided to collect up all of the propaganda I've spewed in the thread and lay it all out in black and white and let anyone reading decide for themselves.

It's clear I'm being a total hypocrite by pointing out a post that I see as trying to silence other viewpoints when in reality I'm the one spewing ignorant propaganda and looking to silence others who disagree with me.

That was the argument against concealed carry ~25 years ago when it was illegal in most states for all but a handful of civilians (like judges and prosecuting attorneys). Today, some form of concealed carry is legal in all 50 states & it’s quite a common practice. Our current homicide rate is half what it was ~25 years ago.

However, whilst homicide rates might me up (and they're still extremely high) gun ownership is astronomical. I was floating the idea that at least part of the reason was "keeping up with the Jones'" - people own guns because everyone else owns a gun. It's not as ridiculous as it may sound.

In the interest of transparency I decided to collect up all of the propaganda I've spewed in the thread and lay it all out in black and white and let anyone reading decide for themselves.

It's clear I'm being a total hypocrite by pointing out a post that I see as trying to silence other viewpoints when in reality I'm the one spewing ignorant propaganda and looking to silence others who disagree with me.

It has nothing to do with that, You put on that post on to me accusing me that I was trying to silence other's opinions or views by giving my opposing view, which is off the wall and insane, by your doing that that is trying to silence ME. Get it. First off, it is an absolute lie and so off the wall as I am a minority on this thread and was giving view as why we need stricter gun control as there was another shooting which is what this original thread was about. The only reason you see a lot of my posts as I want to end this is, is I am only responding to the gang of gun people on here who are endlessly replying to me and quoting me or misinterpreting what I said. Me giving my opinion with real FACTS is not trying to silence ANYONE, as I am a total minority on this thread. DO NOT ACCUSE ME OF SUCH A TOTAL COMPLETE LIE. My giving my opinion which is opposite of yours seems to be what you don't like and what you are accusing me of is what YOU ARE DOING by saying such a thing to me. It is a roundabout way to silence ME. I have a right to an opposing opinion and have given real facts showing why I believe this. Yes, I believe all need to be able to speak and give opinions and that includes me.

Last edited:
You putting that post on is what was trying to silence ME as I am only responding to the gang of gun people on here who are endlessly replying to me and quoting me. Me giving my opinion with real FACTS is not trying to silence ANYONE, as I am a total minority on this thread. DO NOT ACCUSE ME OF SUCH A TOTAL COMPLETE LIE. My giving my opinion seems to be what you don't like and what you are accusing me of is what YOU ARE DOING by not liking me doing that and responding to it.

You seem not to grasp my meaning in my original comment to you. You were upset about someone repeatedly responding to what you had to say, on a discussion board. Implying that you felt your comments and your responses were appropriate, yet responses from someone else who happened to counter your views were not appropriate. As I originally said to you, that's how a discussion board works. A blog is set up for one person to give one-sided commentary without any opposing viewpoint if that's what is desired.

You're not duty bound to respond to comments. I don't see why you find opposing views so burdensome? If you've given good info and well thought out comments, surely those inclined to read and take in information and evaluate it for themselves can reach their own conclusions. It doesn't matter what the topic is. Personally I tune out someone who has to call others hypocrites or other pejoratives instead of offering up logic and facts calmly and allowing others the respect to take in information, evaluate it for themselves and formulate their own thoughts. Continuously resorting to ALL CAPS to imply shouting doesn't encourage me that someone has anything particularly informative to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter