Another Scrapple Picture

giphy.gif

I love Scrapple! Now, let me explain! My grandma used to make scrapple, but if it had offal in it you couldn't tell. So if I didn't know it then I don't want to know it now! Mom made scrapple but definitely did NOT put offal in it, she used ground pork. So I guess I should say I loved my grandma's and my mom's scrapple. Any scrapple these days better have an ingredients list!

If I go to the local supermarkets here in Delaware, I can get 1 or 2 lbs. blocks. But a trip to our preferred Butcher or The Kirby and Holloway store, they will have 5 and 10 lbs. blocks.
For those going to Ft W. , PUBLIX in Florida carries the HASBERT brand ( Not one I prefer ) in 2 lbs. blocks
FB_IMG_1690040356243.jpg

Last edited:

Publix (at least my local one near Orlando) carries 1 lb. packages of Habbersett scrapple. It is in the frozen section near the sausages, etc.

A family about a mile from my house offers scrapple to the community shortly after butchering day. She asks $5.00 for a nice big block (at least five times the size of what is in the grocery store, if not ten). She puts a bit of heat into it, which we like.

I am asking a stupid question - what is scrapple?

Essentially it's dog food for humans, Gloria.

1696890743511.png
Leftover parts from slaughtered pork (not normally fit for human consumption) mixed as above and gently fried in a pan. The leftovers, in other words, masqueraded with other ingredients.

I tried it once 30 yrs ago and won't again. Yuck. Ed

I try to take care of my body. I buy organic whenever I can and avoid eating sugar or saturated fats. But omg do I love scrapple!!! It has a crisp outside, soft inside and it tastes like savory, slightly salty pork sausage. Yes, scrapple is “everything but the oink.” I wouldn’t eat it regularly. But a few times a year, especially at the Jersey shore, it is my favorite food.

I try to take care of my body. I buy organic whenever I can and avoid eating sugar or saturated fats. But omg do I love scrapple!!! It has a crisp outside, soft inside and it tastes like savory, slightly salty pork sausage. Yes, scrapple is “everything but the oink.” I wouldn’t eat it regularly. But a few times a year, especially at the Jersey shore, it is my favorite food.
So it’s all just pork.. Like a pork sausage shaped in a brick?

Agree, sugar is killing us (especially in the states)

@cruising spud I even watched the how its made on hot dogs and still eat them. LOL.

Scrapple is something I knew nothing about till I moved out of LI, much like grits or sausage gravy and biscuits.

Although I get some interesting looks if I am south of Richmond and ask for hot sauce with my breakfast.

Um, that doesn't look good, let alone edible. I'm sorry, I don't mean to judge, because god knows I've eaten some unusual foods. But what does it taste like?
Its hevenly. Lol. It was originally used to feed the poor, as it was made from the pork scraps leftover no one would buy. They then mix ot with cornmeal and spices to create this cullanary wonder. Its like a pork pankake, as stated above, crispy on the outside , mushy on the inside. Now its made with a little better ingredients. Try it. Ed likes it , he just will not admit it publicly.

I am asking a stupid question - what is scrapple?

Grew up with it, Stepdad still eats it. We described it as everything that fell on the floor. They would sweep it up and run it through the grinder, make a loaf and then sell it as edible. The best bites are when you hit bone, feels so cannibalistic.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter