Another reason I love Southwest Airlines

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I just happened to log into Continental and checked our upcoming trip. Once again, they've made a major change in the times on our return portion, making us come back almost 10 hours earlier. And once again, they never notified us-just waited until we "happened to see it". I'm sitting here realizing-Southwest has never made a change of times to our flights, except perhaps by a very few minutes. It seems like every other airline we've ever flown has made changes-once we had to change airports, and more than once they've changed our flights so that our flight got into the connecting airport after our next flight took off. And never do we get notified either by phone or Email. Southwest just got another BIG plus in my book.

I just happened to log into Continental and checked our upcoming trip. Once again, they've made a major change in the times on our return portion, making us come back almost 10 hours earlier. And once again, they never notified us-just waited until we "happened to see it". I'm sitting here realizing-Southwest has never made a change of times to our flights, except perhaps by a very few minutes. It seems like every other airline we've ever flown has made changes-once we had to change airports, and more than once they've changed our flights so that our flight got into the connecting airport after our next flight took off. And never do we get notified either by phone or Email. Southwest just got another BIG plus in my book.

10 hours! You need to call them and ask that they either A: give you another option, or B: return your money or C: book you on another airline. That's complete bait and switch. What are the details of this?

I've never been on any airline that changed a flight time more than a half hour to 45 minutes, and it's usually later, not earlier. Southwest doesn't change much simply because they have a lot of flights and their schedule is very tight, so changing is a severe domino effect for them. Other airlines do a hub and spoke system to a time change is confined to just one route between two cities usually.

10 hours! You need to call them and ask that they either A: give you another option, or B: return your money or C: book you on another airline. That's complete bait and switch. What are the details of this?

I've never been on any airline that changed a flight time more than a half hour to 45 minutes, and it's usually later, not earlier. Southwest doesn't change much simply because they have a lot of flights and their schedule is very tight, so changing is a severe domino effect for them. Other airlines do a hub and spoke system to a time change is confined to just one route between two cities usually.

A and B are certainly possibilities, C would not be. It certainly stinks, but it's not all that unusual and it's not "bait and switch" if you understand the Contracts of Carriage that governs airlines bookings. When you buy a ticket you basically agree that the airline will get you from point A to point B on a given day, and that the airline can make whatever changes they like. If the change is substantial, they have to book you on another flight (assuming there is one that works better) or refund your money (which is fine if there are other options available). They will not rebook you on another airline. To do that you have to take option B and rebook on your own IF there are other airlines that offer flights on a better schedule and at a price that is no worse (or you have to pay the difference).

SWA is able to avoid schedule changes mostly because they release flight dates at more like 6-7 months out vs. 330 days out like Continental and most of the legacy carriers do.

Southwest is the best! In my opinion, they are second to none when it comes to customer service (which is why I personally think they should be the official airline of Disney!) Here's my Delta horror story:
Delta cancelled our return flight from Aruba, and the only notification we got was an email which looked like a confirmation of the original reservation, so I didn't pay much attention to it. Didn't realize the flight had been changed until we went to check in online 24 hours before the flight, when we noticed we were now going from Aruba to Atlanta to Minneapolis, spending the night in Minneapolis and then continuing to Phoenix the next morning. Considering I spent HOURS researching flights to avoid spending the night in any airport, I was not happy! Turns out the original flight (AUA-ATL-PHX) was still available the next day, so we ended up spending the last day of our trip on the phone with Delta to rearrange flights, and trying to get a hotel for another night so we could stay in Aruba rather than in the Minneapolis airport (want to hear about my cell phone bill after all that?). Plus on about my fourth call to Delta, the CSR mentioned that they have a travel desk that could help us find a hotel (really? One of the first three people I spoke with couldn't have mentioned that?) So I spent additional money on hotel, cell phone bill, and missed an additional day of work, thanks to Delta. Won't be giving them my money in the future.

Well, I guess this is a Southwest thread by default even though there aren't any stories of Southwest here, just some bad stories from non-Southwest. I would say the legacy airlines are more likely to do this, but Soutwest isn't alone in it's ability to avoid this. Airtran (just bought by Southwest) is also pretty good.

Whew! Well, I guess all's OK now. Continental did change our flight to Saturday at that same early morning time (apparently the flight we were originally supposed to be on got cancelled). So when DH called them and told them that we couldn't leave that early that day, we got changed to that early the next day. What's a little strange is that when DH asked them about why they hadn't notified us of such a major change, their response was "Oh, we never notify anyone this far out." This far out? Hello, the flight is in less than 3 weeks.
I STILL much prefer Southwest!

10 hours! You need to call them and ask that they either A: give you another option, or B: return your money or C: book you on another airline. That's complete bait and switch.

No. You need to check the definition of "bait and switch." Airlines change their schedules all the time. When this happens, if the change time meets the airline's standard of a significant time change, you can get a refund or can ask to be rescheduled on another flight. They don't buy you a ticket on another airline!

It's your responsibility to check your flights to keep track of changes. Flight changes will be indicated on their website when you look up your reservation info.

I STILL much prefer Southwest!

Just curious, why did you book a flight on Continental?

Airlines change their schedules all the time.

Yep, thanks, I indicated as such when referring to the airline changes I've received.

It's your responsibility to check your flights to keep track of changes. Flight changes will be indicated on their website when you look up your reservation info.
Right. Except if you check in at 24 hours, and notice the flight is 10 hours earlier, you have just 14 hours before your plane leaves. Just a wee bit of a problem. Most airlines will tell you when they make any changes, especially major ones...not sure why the OP didn't get any notice until logging into the account.

Just curious, why did you book a flight on Continental?

The ultimate irony-when we originally booked, Southwest's latest return flight was in the AM. Why Continental? For one thing, it's the only airline besides Southwest at our airport. Also, DH flies a lot internationally, so he's a very Frequent Flier on Continental. At least, because of all his flying, we don't pay luggage fees.

I am a big fan of Southwest for personal travel but tend to use other carriers for business travel. I think southwest fares are better and you dont get charged for bags. But I like Jet Blue and Continental when flying on someone elses dime

Right. Except if you check in at 24 hours, and notice the flight is 10 hours earlier, you have just 14 hours before your plane leaves. Just a wee bit of a problem. Most airlines will tell you when they make any changes, especially major ones...not sure why the OP didn't get any notice until logging into the account.

Not in my experience. I fly quite frequently (usually United or other Star Alliance carriers) and they never contact you in advance about changes, except changes within 24 hours of flight time. Changes are indicated on their web site when you check your reservations. I don't know how SWA deals with changes because I don't fly them.

Not in my experience. I fly quite frequently (usually United or other Star Alliance carriers) and they never contact you in advance about changes, except changes within 24 hours of flight time. Changes are indicated on their web site when you check your reservations. I don't know how SWA deals with changes because I don't fly them.

Airtran has always emailed me any flight changes and asked for my approval or else to call for a new flight, this is usually weeks or months out

US Airways has emailed schedule changes in the same way as above, and emailed/called my phone on days a flight was cancelled (while i was sitting in the airport so I got a head start on other passengers)

Southwest has sent me flight reminders via email, though none have changed more than a few minutes.

So, apparently some airlines have figured out the automation thing and coupled it with courtesy thing, and it's possible some other airlines haven't.

After a number of changes on our Labor Day flights, I checked on our upcoming Janaury Continental flight. It changed - again. I originally purchase this fare on October 4th and there have been two changes so far. First, the return flight moved from 5:45pm to 7:00pm. Second, the return changed from 7:00pm to 12:20pm. We lost a whole day!! I called and they have just cancelled the flight and are consolidating the flights that day. I got my money back. I am now looking at Southwest. Hopefully I will ahve better luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter