Another quake in New Zealand... keep DISer Paula Sillars in your prayers!!!

Very glad to hear you are all ok. We will definitely be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.:grouphug:

I'm glad you're safe! My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your city.

Amanda

Today has been totally heartbreaking. Its the worst disaster ever seen in this country and the first time a National State of Emergency has been enacted by parliament.

Search and Rescue teams are coming in from all over the world to try to find people in the rubble that was the central city, just 5 miles away - its seems so unreal.

I can hear the rescue helicopter medivac'ing injured to other cities flying over and also the army chopper which I presume is taking the bodies to the makeshift morgue out at the nearest army base.

There are 75 confirmed dead but hundreds missing and unaccounted for.

Its going to take decades for the city to full recover - we were only just getting things back on track after the quake back in September.

I fear that not only will there be a huge loss of life but also coming up, loss of jobs and businesses.

My work and home is virtually untouched but we have/had many clients in the central city that are hugely affected, including those in the building immediately next to the PGG building which they are struggling to get the survivors out of. I spoke to a client today asking the possibility of getting their IT system running again from their Monday night backup tape in the event that they can't get back into their building for some weeks.

That and finding out from friends and workmates who have lost their homes - my boss has a 10 ft boulder in his hallway. Another workmate is in the evac centre in Lyttelton after his house has been condemned in, he lives in a small port town suburb of Christchurch that is cut off from the city due to the tunnel through the hill being closed.

Robert's Mum's place has liquefaction a foot deep in the driveway and its even got in the house - water has come up through the concrete floor in what we can only assume is the join in the concrete flooring.

We are lucky some of the lucky few in that we have power and running water but we are having to boil it and we are not able to flush the toilet as the sewer lines are broken.

We also have an open supermarket across the road but have a well stock pantry and survival kit. We also have a gas stove so cooking is not a problem if we loose power again.

Keep sending those thoughts, prayers and pixie dust - we sure need it.

My heart goes out to you and all New Zealanders facing such loss and devastation.

113 officially dead but only 6 names have been released. 200+ still missing and they have grave concerns for them. Many buildings are so unstable they can't search them.

They have only just started going door to door in the suburbs so goodness knows how many more bodies will be found.

The army helicopters are flying over constantly, I can only assume ferrying bodies and supplies back and forth.

We had a few staff back at work today and were frantically busy trying to get many of our clients IT systems back up - many of course are based in the CBD so trying to find hardware on which to restore their backup is next to impossible.

A couple of clients have been actually able to retrieve their servers from within the cordoned off CBD and are setting up temporary premises elsewhere.

At least 3 of my workmates have lost their homes including my boss. His pets have moved in with my Mum while he sends his family to the north island and he finds somewhere to live.

Yesterday we got together a working party of my colleagues and we cleared the liquefaction silt from my partner's Mum's driveway and then went onto a workmate's Mum's place. While we were at our workmates Mum's place, a lady came along the road asking if we could help her pack up this eldery man's house - he had a flood come through with the earthquake and needed to move out - we packed up his stuff and moved everything into his garage which was ok. He was a complete stranger but everyone does what is required.

Then we went to my bosses place - the one with the boulder in the middle of the house - they estimate its 18 tonnes. It hit the house with so much force it blew the windows out and the huge stones that make up the outside had fallen off. Massive cracks through most walls in the house - its irreparable.

5475405093_b8054b224c.jpg

It was very scary when we had a large aftershock while we were packing up the house contents - it is very unstable. He had to get everything out - as soon as the officials had checked the house, they would have forbidden entry.

The city is a complete mess for the most part however the area I live is virtually untouched. We are so incredibly fortunate.

For those who actually have running water, we have been told we can flush our toilets now (sparingly) and take very quick showers - thats only a very small part of the population who actually have running water (about 20%). They hope to have power back to 75% of people tonight.

Its a living nightmare :sad2:

Horrific stories of rescuers having to choose which of the people found in the rubble were worth trying to save - amputations with a swiss army knife and a hacksaw. Dozens found alive but haven't survived their awful injuries.

This all from buildings that meet some of the highest earthquake strength codes in the world - nothing can be guaranteed to withstand an earthquake of that magnitude, so close to the city and so shallow.

Its all too depressing and will no doubt become more so as they give up the search for survivors and simply start demolishing the unsafe buildings. And release the names of the victims...
:sad1::sad1::sad1:

Paula my thoughts and (not normally a prayer person but what the hey) prayers are with you and all in Christchurch.

My best friend and bridesmaid at my wedding - In the Provincial Building in ChCh, has packed up her family and moved out to Dunedin - her husband office has other offices throughout the country so he is going there to try and get the IT department back up and running.

I have never felt so far from home. (born in Chch but grew up in Wanaka) I can't stop watching the news, although coverage is now very patchy.

I cannot imagine the horrors that the people of Christchurch are going to continue to face, I don't want to even think about it. Kids already think I am a bit odd seeing I keep tearing up.

Stay Safe
Kirsten

It WILL get better but it will take time.

My state got hit by a hurricane Floyd back in 1999. The storm caused flooding all across the eastern part of the state. Floyd was made worse because another hurricane had hit a few weeks prior and dumped lots of rain, 10 inches in some areas, which saturated the ground. Then Floyd came a knock'n and put down another 19 inches which produced a flood that should be seen only once in 500 years. :scared1:

The destruction was unreal.

We are far enough inland that the flooding did not effect our area but one family member was swept off a road by flood waters and was rescued by a helicopter. She was very lucky that someone saw her car go and was able to somehow get help.

I went into the flooded out area twice. Once to provide security and once to help clean up houses so people could start to recover. For all of the vast resources of the US government, especially in eastern NC, I saw very little help from the Federal government. The first trip the National Guard, which is run by the state, was out feeding people and rescuing as needed. The Red Cross was out as well. The State of North Carolina pushed resources into the flooded areas as did other counties and cities in the state.

The physical clean up was done local people and volunteers. The Babtist's had a large group to help out including an all important tractor trailer housing kitchens and showers. :thumbsup2 A group of Menonites were down there helping out at the same time as the Red Cross and National Guard. :thumbsup2

The Federal government paid for much of the cleanup but the physical labor was provided by local people and volunteers. And at least help could get into areas which in NZ sounds like a problem.

I saw entire neighborhoods destroyed. Hundreds of homes at a time made unlivable. Entire towns gone.

But those towns did recover. As did the people and their houses. It just took time.

It WILL get better!

Later,
Dan

Sending you prayers, hugs, strength, and miracles....they DO happen.:grouphug:

Michelle et al

Paula,

I just can't even begin to imagine what you and yours are going through. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that you stay safe...your stories of everyone pulling together are really touching.

Take Care,

Pam

Paula, thanks for the updates. But oh, my, it is so horrific! I hope you and yours are still doing OK.

Sayhello

Up to 148 people officially dead and 200+ still missing.

They are saying now 1/3 of the CBD will have to be demolished.

I am exhausted - I worked through last weekend and have now just worked through this one and I can't see it improving any time soon.

There are issues for rescuers in the city as so many of the buildings are unstable - the main route the were using was in danger of having a building collapse onto it.

Unlike many other disasters, the rescue teams are still having to deal with ongoing aftershocks which sometimes puts them again in danger or shifts the landscape on them. We have had 20 earthquakes in the last 24 hours.

I just want this to be over.

Hi Paula

The Aussies are all working to help the Kiwis too. I see that there is a question over the site of the Rugby World Cup. Personally if it is not able to be staged in NZ, then hold it in Syd with free tickets for rescuers and all profits paid over to disaster relief.

Hi Paula

The Aussies are all working to help the Kiwis too. I see that there is a question over the site of the Rugby World Cup. Personally if it is not able to be staged in NZ, then hold it in Syd with free tickets for rescuers and all profits paid over to disaster relief.

We have hundreds of Australian police that have been sworn in and are patrolling the streets. Along with rescue teams from Australia, USA, UK, Japan, China, Taiwan and Singapore.

I think we have foreign troops patrolling the city too.

The Australian police got a standing ovation when they flew into the city.

We thank each and everyone of them for something to help.

I think that is a good idea about Sydney - I can't see us going ahead with the Rugby. The city is like a war zone.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/photos

Paula, Hoping you are holding-up OK :hug:

I immediately started watching all news reports when I heard that the quake had happened as I have family in NZ and was worried and concerned for their safety.

Within 24 hours we had facebook contact and were relieved to hear that everyone in my family was OK.

They mostly live in Dunedin, so were not affected this time.

The previous quake, they had power outs for a bit and a little bit more disruption, but no structural damage.

I was over in NZ 2007/2008 and toured a good part of the country.

My daughter and I took the alpine train from Greymouth into Chch and stayed in Christchurch for several days.

It was one of the nicest places in NZ and I am very sad to see all the destruction and hardship that this quake has caused :sad1:

My daughter and I took the City tram ride and walked by the Avon river.

We loved Chch :goodvibes

We feel so far removed from all of this and wish we could help in some way :confused3

I just hope that you don't exhaust yourself but please keep us all imformed as much as you can, we are all thinking and praying for you.

From one Disney Fan to another......

Take Care :flower3:

158 confirmed dead.

They are saying the economic impact will be worse for Christchurch than Katrina was for New Orleans - that gives some scope of hour awful this is.

50,000+ who work in the city can't...

CBD will be offlimits for months!

They haven't found anyone alive since last Wednesday.

We have 2 minutes silence today at 12.51pm (just under two hours from now) as it will be 1 week since the earthquake.

19 earthquakes in the last 24 hours - biggest this morning was 4.3

Nothing more to report other than I can do a DR restore on a server with my eyes closed...

I can safely say that in the short term, the company I work for has heaps of work on - who'd thought that IT would be considered a key industry after a natural disaster - water, sewage, power and IT seem to be the driving forces.

Death toll is up to 170 (I think) but only about 12 names have been released. They are hoping to get into the cathedral in the square today to recover the 20+ bodies they suspect are in there.

So looking forward to going to Disney in July now! More than ever...

Thanks for the update, Paula. I hope you're managing to get some rest in there with all the craziness. I've seen photos & watched some videos, and it's just so unimaginable. I'm so amazingly sorry you all are going through this!

Sayhello

hiya guys
we too live in christchurch and have only got our internet back on in the last few days. it has been a terrible time for us all.
we live on the east side of the city, my house is broken, the mall where i work has been destroyed, my daughters high school is also badly damaged.
we were without power and water for 11 days. but we consider ourselves to be very lucky as my family are safe.
kia kahu(stay strong) christchurch

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter