Another proposal tips thread!

Vaughanabe13

Earning My Ears
I know there have been a lot of "proposal ideas" threads around here so please bear with me. I have read through many of them. I already have a good idea of what I want to do but I do need some advice and tips.

A little background: Basically we're going to WDW at the beginning of the food and wine festival this September/October for a week. It's her first time at Disney World and my 4th. She always wanted to go but her family couldn't afford a trip when she was younger. We're at the point now where we're basically married already, but I still need to pop the question and make it official. I figured the Disney trip would be a great setting and make for wonderful memories. I know she'll say yes (100% certainty) so please do not factor that into your tips. Of course I still want to make it magical for her. :love: I want to do something romantic but also simple and not elaborate like the scavenger hunts and such I have read about. She also doesn't have any visions of being proposed to in front of Cinderella's Castle or anything like that, so I basically have a blank canvas to work with.

We have reservations at Victoria and Albert's on the last day of our trip, so that dinner is the one time that she would be expecting the proposal. We have the early dining time that night, I believe 5:45 or around there. As you know, the V&A's dinner takes about 3 hours or a little less. I've read about how you can pre-plan to have the ring brought out as a final "course" of the meal, or on a glass slipper. And while that's a great idea, I think it wouldn't work for us because after I ask the question we would want to hug and kiss and such, but we couldn't do that in V&A's from across the table. Also, she is pretty shy and definitely would want a more private proposal between just me and her. We don't have to be completely private, as I'm sure that's hard to do at the World, but we just don't want a lot of people watching us or making us the center of attention.

So my next idea that I really like is to complete the dinner and then walk to the beach on the lagoon and propose during Wishes. In my mind this seems perfect because A) She loves fireworks and finds them very romantic, and B) It would be a very romantic view on the beach after an amazing meal, and C) We could probably find a secluded spot where we are somewhat private.

However, there are a number of questions running through my head about this sequence, since I have never been to the GF or Poly resort areas before.

1) Is it possible/easy to walk to the Polynesian resort beach from Victoria and Albert's/GF?
2) If not, is there also a beach behind the Grand Floridian instead?
3) How crowded would the beach area(s) be in early October for Wishes? Keep in mind this will be probably the 3rd day of the F&WF.
4) What is there to do in the area between finishing dinner and the beginning of the fireworks? Assuming the fireworks start at 10 and our dinner gets out at 8:30, we will have some time to spend together before the big moment. How can I fill this?
5) Since this is the last day of the trip, my whole plan could easily be spoiled by rain/weather. It will be hurricane season after all. Do I need a backup plan and how likely would it be that I have to use it?

Another option that I've been toying with is to propose earlier in the week and really catch her off guard. People say it's better to do it early in the trip so the rest of the trip is an engagement celebration. It's tough because I feel like Victoria and Albert's is the "big event" and "grand finale" of our trip. I can't move the ADR earlier in the week because it would raise suspicion and she would know exactly what I'm planning. Between those two options, proposing earlier and V&A's at the end, which would you choose/prefer? Also, going with the fireworks theme, where would be a good, somewhat secluded place in Epcot to view Illuminations? I know everybody in the whole park pretty much lines up to watch that show so I can't figure out the logistics in my head on how to make it work.

For reference, my dinner reservations are as follows from beginning to end: Monsieur Paul (second night), Jiko, Boma, Sci-Fi, Biergarten, Victoria and Albert's. Does Monsieur Paul have any options for viewing Illuminations that I could plan?

Thanks in advance!

I think it would be really cute if you proposed while you 2 were getting ready for your dinner at V&A. Maybe say something like since its a special dinner, you want to give her something special to wear. That way you get both the private proposal and a romantic celebration. Maybe you could also order a mini wedding cake at the restaurant to celebrate. That is just one idea. I'm a very shy person as well and would prefer something like that. It gives the best of privacy and romance.

another suggestion:
book an illuminations cruise (make sure the captain knows of your plans), get down on one knee directly before "we go on" plays.
i know it is supposed to be about world unity, but "we go on" is also one of the most romantic songs ever, imho (i tell my DH that will be the song at my "next" wedding ;)).
the words relate more to real couple struggles and the strength gained from going through "the joy and tears" together, rather than cotton candy lyrics.

"We Go On"

Music score composed, produced, and conducted by Gavin Greenaway
“We Go On” Illuminations Lyrics by Don Dorsey
(c)1999 by Walt Disney Music Co.
Song performed by Kellie Coffey

With the stillness of the night
there comes a time to understand
to reach out and touch tomorrow
take the future in our hand

We can see a new horizon
built on all that we have done
and our dreams begin another
thousand circles 'round the sun

We go on
to the joy and through the tears
We go on
to discover new frontiers
Moving on
with the current of the years
We go on
moving forward, now as one
Moving on
with a spirit born to run
Ever on
with each rising sun

To a new day
We go on

We go on

Thanks for the tips and encouraging words, everybody. I did think about the Illuminations cruise as being a very romantic setting, but I was thinking it would be weird to propose in front of strangers in such an intimate environment on the boat like that. I do like the idea of proposing during Illuminations some time early in the week to catch her off guard, but I'm not sure where would be a good spot since everyone flocks to the fireworks. Unfortunately I couldn't get a late reservation at Monsieur Paul so we will be out of dinner before the fireworks start. I know I'm over-thinking all of this and there are probably a million great ways to propose, but I'm going to be nervous enough as it is, so I want to try and plan it out as much as I can in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter