Another PCH question

crumpet

Always ready for another Disney holiday :-)
Hi...I don't post often, more of a lurker. I am based in the UK and have visited the Florida forums in the past but we are now planning our first visit to California in October. I actually posted this question at the end of another thread but haven't had any replies so I thought somebody may check it out if I posted a new thread instead:)
I have a couple of questions about the PCH .... Is it possible to drive on it from SF to Anaheim in one day? Is it possible to drive part of the way on the PCH and then leave it and take a different route to save some time?
I saw the PCH on a travel programme many years ago and always wanted to drive down it, the views look amazing.
Thanks...Sarah

The travel time from SF to Anaheim can be about 8 hours - doable
in one day. In Orange County the PCH veers away from Anaheim
which is inland. The section you see on travel programs is
usually the coastline between Half Moon Bay and Pismo Beach.

After Santa Barbara PCH moves inland until Maibu. After Santa
Monica it stays close to the coast all the way through Newport
and Laguna.

You could take it into Laguna Beach and then turn back to Anaheim.
Beginning at Santa Barbara there are many places to turn off PCH
and onto US101 which is a more direct route to Anaheim.

You could leave it in Golita/Santa Barbara.
You could leave it in Oxnard.
You could leave it in Santa Monica.

You have a lot of choices.

If it were me, I'd think about taking PCH down to the Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo area, where it merges with Hwy 101, then just stay on the 101 from there (101 to 5 to Anaheim). Keep in mind that a good portion of PCH between SF and SLO, particularly heading southbound, can be a bit nerve-wracking. Due to mudslides over many, many years, you'll encounter areas where there's no shoulder beyond the white line at the side of the roadway, just a sheer drop to the Pacific, a good distance below you. You'll have no problem navigating, but it can be rather off-putting if you haven't driven a roadway quite like that before.

I'd also allow more than 8 hours for the drive. You can do SF to Anaheim in 8-9 hours on Hwy 101, but it will likely take a bit longer on PCH. It's twisty, it's popular and you're going to want to stop now and then for photos and such.

Really, I'd pick a section (SF to Monterey or Monterey to SLO) to drive PCH and do Hwy 101 for the rest of your travel.

If it were me, I'd think about taking PCH down to the Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo area, where it merges with Hwy 101, then just stay on the 101 from there (101 to 5 to Anaheim). Keep in mind that a good portion of PCH between SF and SLO, particularly heading southbound, can be a bit nerve-wracking. Due to mudslides over many, many years, you'll encounter areas where there's no shoulder beyond the white line at the side of the roadway, just a sheer drop to the Pacific, a good distance below you. You'll have no problem navigating, but it can be rather off-putting if you haven't driven a roadway quite like that before.

I'd also allow more than 8 hours for the drive. You can do SF to Anaheim in 8-9 hours on Hwy 101, but it will likely take a bit longer on PCH. It's twisty, it's popular and you're going to want to stop now and then for photos and such.

Really, I'd pick a section (SF to Monterey or Monterey to SLO) to drive PCH and do Hwy 101 for the rest of your travel.

I totally agree. I would get off PCH somewhere around SLO. We drove a part of PCH and got kind of lost somewhere around (I think) Malibu. That was where it turned into more of a regular street with lots of stop lights and it was a little confusing (at least for us) where we were supposed to go. This was back in the days before GPS though.

Also, we used to drive between Santa Rosa (north of SF) and Orange County all the time to visit family and it took us 8-9 hours on the 5 and 10 hours on the 101. I'm sure PCH would take longer than that. Of course, it took us another 40-60 mintues past SF to get up to Santa Rosa so your trip would be a little shorter. But then like PP said, you'll want to stop and take pictures or do a little sight seeing.

Good luck planning your trip! Hope you have a wonderful time in California and please post more questions if you have any. :goodvibes

Due to mudslides over many, many years, you'll encounter areas where there's no shoulder beyond the white line at the side of the roadway, just a sheer drop to the Pacific, a good distance below you. You'll have no problem navigating, but it can be rather off-putting if you haven't driven a roadway quite like that before.

Crikey:scared:...Now I'm worried. I didn't realise it that was that bad! My husband is just laughing at me...he drives for a living and it dosn't worry him at all. I don't know if I will be enjoying the scenery or sitting with my eyes screwed shut:eek:
It is an experience I wouldn't want to miss though.
Thank you all of you, you have given me a lot to think about. We are planning on leaving SF around 8am so may drive down to San Luis Obispo stop for lunch and then use the 101 for the rest of the day.
I'm sure I'll be back with loads more questions:banana:

You can drive 101 to Oxnard, then pick up 1 or PCH. It goes along the ocean down to Santa Monica where it's best to get back on the freeway. You will hit traffic lights from Malibu to Santa Monica, but it's a great way to see all kinds of stuff.

Crikey:scared:...Now I'm worried. I didn't realise it that was that bad! My husband is just laughing at me...he drives for a living and it dosn't worry him at all. I don't know if I will be enjoying the scenery or sitting with my eyes screwed shut:eek:
It is an experience I wouldn't want to miss though.

When I was a kid and my Dad was driving, I'd generally go with the eyes screwed shut approach. I was never really sure he realized what it looked like for me and Mom on the passenger side of the car! :scared1:

On the occasions when I've driven PCH myself, I always do it Northbound! Certain parts of the Southbound trip are just a little too much for me. BUT, I've never actually heard of anything bad happening to anyone driving along the roadway there, so I'm certain I just worry too much. :scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter