• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another passenger "falls" off

summerskye

Ears Earned, What's Next
The Coast Guard is searching for a Texas man who fell from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship off the coast of Key Largo, Fla.

Officials say 46-year-old David Mossman fell from the 10th deck of the cruise ship while aboard the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas at approximately 3am Saturday.

A helicopter and aircraft were launched to begin the search for Mossman.

As of this morning, the USCG is still looking for him. The longer it takes the less likely he will be found alive.

AK

Our DDIL was afraid her kids would fall off the ship until she actually got on the ship and saw how safe it was. The people who "fall" are either drunk, "assisted" or they jump.

Yeah, I don't know why people would post "news" like this. It serves no purpose other than to panic parents who have never been on a cruise and do not know hard it is to "fall" off of a ship.

Frankly its better to let people know what can occur on a cruise so they can determine why it happened, as in this case, its very hard to fall overboard it removes any fears. If someone is going to panic they should not be going on a cruise anyway.

Hiding facts wont help, it only creates more problems and fears later. Being informed is always best.

AKK

Yeah, I don't know why people would post "news" like this. It serves no purpose other than to panic parents who have never been on a cruise and do not know hard it is to "fall" off of a ship.

You would have to work extremely hard to just "fall" off a ship. The railings are high. I'm one of those people that has a fear of falling off balconies when the rails are too low and I've never had that feeling on DCL.

Last edited:

Agreed. The title of this post should be "Another Royal Caribbean passenger falls off" or moved to the RCL thread. This will definitely panic new people just browsing the threads lol

You would have to work extremely hard to just "fall" off a ship. The railings are high. I'm one of those people that has a fear of falling off balconies when the rails are too low and I've never had that feeling on DCL.

The reason for the post was to share information, period. I was not trying to scare anyone nor pick on any particular cruise line. Again it was a news story in my local paper and I thought it would be nice to share. If you don't like, then don't read no need to get personal about my intentions.

Last edited:
I also agree that I see nothing wrong with the OP's post.
If someone is not informed then they are ignorant of the facts, the very few facts that newspapers and tv stations actually report, so a discussion like this may actually help calm someones fears after reading or viewing a report that doesn't actually provide any kind of details or reassurances from experienced cruisers.

Someone "fell" off a balcony at the hotel I was staying at this week. They found his suicide note in the room. It irritates me that they always say "fell". Its called suicide and its a real problem that needs to be addressed as a mental health crisis and not as an accidental-type situation. To "fall" off of a cruise ship, foul play, alcohol or purposeful intent that turns accidental (like going where you shouldnt be or climbing a railing and slipping) has to be involved. Otherwise, its suicide. People don't just "fall" off of cruise ships casually walking to dinner or watching the sunset.

I saw the post as other than just reporting the facts because of its title "Another passenger falls off". The title is misleading in that it gives the impression that another passenger fell off a DISNEY cruise, since this is a Disney board. You don't find out that it is about RCCL until you go into the thread.

I saw the post as other than just reporting the facts because of its title "Another passenger falls off". The title is misleading in that it gives the impression that another passenger fell off a DISNEY cruise, since this is a Disney board. You don't find out that it is about RCCL until you go into the thread.

People post about general cruise stuff here. I think people just don't realize there's a Royal board now. :)

Royal or Disney, though, the railings are HIGH, and you cannot just whoopsie fall over. Not even sure the tallest basketball player could do it; I think even they would have to work at it.

The Coast Guard is searching for a Texas man who fell from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship off the coast of Key Largo, Fla.

Officials say 46-year-old David Mossman fell from the 10th deck of the cruise ship while aboard the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas at approximately 3am Saturday.

A helicopter and aircraft were launched to begin the search for Mossman.

If you look at the actual article, it uses the word "fell" twice. My title was based upon the article. Again, I was just sharing information related to a cruise ship. I did not state it was Disney or any cruise line. Just a cruise line story.

I agree it is misleading to say they fell but the media does that. Probably because they don't know if they jumped, was pushed, or was being dumb and climbing on the rail (in which case they did fall, just while being an idiot) so its the easier way to say it until more info is there.

I am someone that is afraid to walk next to the rail at a nearby mall because I'm afraid I will get pushed to the floor below. Seriously there has to be at least a full person worth of space between me and the rail at all times.

However on the cruise ship the rail is so high and has enough rungs (or in places plexiglass) that I have no problem walking along it. Standing at it. etc.

Our DDIL was afraid her kids would fall off the ship until she actually got on the ship and saw how safe it was. The people who "fall" are either drunk, "assisted" or they jump.

my only 'paranoid dad' fear has been on our veranda where a child could climb on the chairs or table 'to get a better view'. We never let our son out there unattended.

As for public spaces, i agree, it would be incredible difficult for an adult to accidentally 'fall' off a ship...

Report was this gentleman was having an argument with his mother and he either jumped over the railing or stood on it and she was trying to talk him down when he fell off.

There's never been a report of a passenger going overboard from a Disney cruise ship. There was a British crew member who disappeared in 2011 while the Wonder was at sea off Mexico.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter