Another nail in the coffin for an Alaska season in '21?

KVH

DIS Veteran
Article

With that much uncertainty, I don't see how any company could reliably plan for business ops.

I won't click on an unidentified link, either, but I will say that it's already been quite clear that there will be no mass market cruises to Alaska this summer, because Canada's slow reopening won't allow that.

Nothing new in this article. There are some very vocal provincial premiers that want an extremely hard line toward any kind of travel - inbound and outbound. This latest round is mostly about Canadians going away for "non-essential travel" as our land, sea and air borders are already close to all international travelers for non-essential travel. COVID-19 started to be a real thing in Canada around the time that Spring break hits (late February to mid-March) last year, and I can see a few provinces wanting to get ahead of this by making it nearly impossible to come back from a sun vacation in February and March without any kind of real consequences. The odds of an Alaskan cruising season will be dictated by 1) Current infection trends and infections rates within Canada... and especially BC as it relates to the Alaska cruising season and 2) Whatever happens in the US as most Alaska-bound cruisers are American. This was the case before, and will remain the cause. Now, there is a bit of social unrest, and strong comments from exhausted health care workers who have been unable to take a break/vacation which could ultimately alter people's attitude toward globetrotting and travel, but this trend is global in nature... not just something happening here

This means nothing for Alaska season. Travel into Canada by non citizens/residents for tourism has been banned since March and even people who are allowed into Canada have to quarantine for two weeks. This is warning the Canadians who might be thinking about travelling outside the country (for spring break for example).

No it doesn’t look good for Alaska cruises and hasn’t for quite some time but this particular announcement doesn’t change things either way.

I won't click on an unidentified link, either, but I will say that it's already been quite clear that there will be no mass market cruises to Alaska this summer, because Canada's slow reopening won't allow that.
I'm not sure what you mean by slow reopening. Right now ON and Quebec are under a hard lockdown but BC is different. We can't have gatherings but everything is essentially open. The Federal govt wants Canadians vaccinated before allowing international visitors and that won't happen until the end of September at least (our vaccine plan here in BC is more aggressive than other provinces).

Our Princess Cruise to Alaska begins in Seattle, but does stop in Victoria. It‘s been rescheduled from 2020, and if we have to reschedule to next year we will!

I'm not sure what you mean by slow reopening. Right now ON and Quebec are under a hard lockdown but BC is different. We can't have gatherings but everything is essentially open. The Federal govt wants Canadians vaccinated before allowing international visitors and that won't happen until the end of September at least (our vaccine plan here in BC is more aggressive than other provinces).
The bolded part of your response is what I mean by slow reopening. That is why it's virtually guaranteed that there won't be mass market cruises to Alaska this summer. Almost all of them require Canada as a port, and that isn't going to happen this summer.

The bolded part of your response is what I mean by slow reopening. That is why it's virtually guaranteed that there won't be mass market cruises to Alaska this summer. Almost all of them require Canada as a port, and that isn't going to happen this summer.
Gotcha. Yes Canada is definitely taking a more defensive approach, by wanting its citizens vaccinated before allowing tourists who are also vaccinated. Going to be another quiet summer in downtown Vancouver!

I was reading an article a few month ago that said if there is no 2021 Alaska season many of the business in the cruise ports may not be around next year.
Most of the business rely on the several months cruise ships sail to get them through the year. Since there was no 2020 season and so far it is not looking good for the beginning of the 2021 season it is not looking good for them.
I feel bad for all the people who will not only lose their business but the people who will lose their jobs.

Last edited:
I was reading an article a few month ago that said if there is no 2020 Alaska season many of the business in the cruise ports may not be around next year.
Most of the business rely on the several months cruise ships sail to get them through the year. Since there was no 2019 season and so far it is not looking good for the beginning of the 2020 season it is not looking good for them.
I feel bad for all the people who will not only lose their business but the people who will lose their jobs.

I think you mean there was no 2020 season and not looking good for 2021 season. :)

I think you mean there was no 2020 season and not looking good for 2021 season. :)

Yes you are correct,it has already been a long year. 🤪
I am semi retired so I some times lose track of time.
I need to go back and fix it
Thanks.

Not sure I blame him. We all want to forget 2020.
Yes we do 8-) , however my wife and I were lucky enough to get a seven day Western Caribbean cruise two weeks before cruising in the United States shut down in 2020.
Lets hope 2021 gets better soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter