Another moving to Disney question

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
I know this has been asked before but can't find it using the search.

What towns/areas near Disney would you recommend to live in? We talked about what type of house and are planning on finding a Condo.

Also what areas are the must stay away from areas?

Not another one. Geez. Before too long, I'm going to have more friends in Orlando than I do at home. Of course, DW and I are beginning to talk more seriously about when we will start the process ourselves :).

I'd recommend living close to wherever you and/or your spouse plan to be working. You don't want a long commute around here, the traffic stinks most of the time.

I'd recommend living close to wherever you and/or your spouse plan to be working. You don't want a long commute around here, the traffic stinks most of the time.
We will probably work for one of the theme parks. So we have those benefits.

I asked this very question when I got serious about moving and got a lot of really great answers.. You can find that thread here: http://www.disboards.com/threads/considering-a-move-to-orlando-area.3438574/ After a little more online research to see what we wanted available easily for daily life we ventured to check them out during a trip.. That really helped narrow it down and we tried to do it during rush hours to see what traffic really looked like on an average weekday..

I do recommend concentrating on what you need for daily life like PP mentioned. Work, other things you like to do in life, shopping. Are you joggers or walkers and want a great safe place for that? golf?

Ok I wrote down a lot of good neighborhoods to check out. So what ones should we really stay away from? I have heard Davenport, Kissimmee, and Point Ciena(spelling?) are all to be avoided.

I have looked into it a bit. Probably won't end up in Orlando as my field (I'm an insurance actuary) doesn't have too many opportunities there. But we really looked into the areas of Winter Garden and Windermere.

What towns/areas near Disney would you recommend to live in? We talked about what type of house and are planning on finding a Condo.

Also what areas are the must stay away from areas?
We moved to the WDW area just a couple of years ago. Your criteria may be different from ours but here's what we looked for:
  • within 30 minutes of Disney (we picked a central location to measure this from - in our case Beach Club Resort)
  • Not in an area that allowed short term (weekly) rentals (we didn't want new neighbors every week)
  • An area that was relatively unaffected by tourists (i.e., not on 192 in Kissimmee)
We wound up in Winter Garden in a development called SummerLake.

We just purchased property in Florida - we can be florida buddies too lol.
Cool. Where will you be? What's your timeline?

We definitely won't get serious for at least 2 more years when DD finishes school. The main limiting factor is my mother. She's almost 86. We wouldn't want to leave her and I don't think she'd be up to moving down there but she might change her mind. But the ultimate plan is to end up down there.

Ok I wrote down a lot of good neighborhoods to check out. So what ones should we really stay away from? I have heard Davenport, Kissimmee, and Point Ciena(spelling?) are all to be avoided.

Poinciena, yes, not the best place.
Davenport is nice, actually.

Kissimmee, though? GREAT place to live.
I should know. I lived there for several years.
Obviously, any neighborhood in any place depends on the people and such. Even the best towns have bad parts. I rented a house in a great neigborhood and no problems.
But Kissimmee is generally a good place to be.
It's very close to Disney (15 to 30 minute drive, depending on the road you take and traffic and your exact location in Kissimmee).

Stay away from Orlando if possible, only because of the traffic and dealing with I4 (and since you said you may be working for the parks).

Kissimmee & St. Cloud are my picks. Celebration is obnoxiously expensive to live in, because its unsettlingly perfect.

Davenport is a very large area. Davenport goes from behind Champions Gate (which is close to WDW) to past Haines City. I would suggest driving around the area and then research the areas. Lots of great places to live in Davenport.

Cool. Where will you be? What's your timeline?

We definitely won't get serious for at least 2 more years when DD finishes school. The main limiting factor is my mother. She's almost 86. We wouldn't want to leave her and I don't think she'd be up to moving down there but she might change her mind. But the ultimate plan is to end up down there.

Traditions Florida - it may not be RIGHT next to Disney, however it's very main street USAish that gives you the classic vibe of yesteryear as well as a community that does daily activities and trips together - I have QUITE some time before I can retire, however my parents in law will be occupying the home until we are ready - more or less an investment, trust me when it's my time to get out of New York I am OUT.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter