Another Free Dining Package ?

PoohsFan1

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,

I have yet another FD package question for you. As some of you who have read or even answered my previous questions, you should know that DH and I have decided to upgrade our POFQ FD reservation to a AKL Reservation with FD. My question is, since we decided to go ahead and upgrade, we won't be able to do it until my DH gets paid next Friday. I know that the FD packages has to be booked by 8/14 (tomorrow), but since I already have the FD package booked, would there be a problem to upgrade to a deluxe with the FD next week (bar there is still rooms available)? I am assuming that our Reservation number would be still the same because I am not canceling anything, but wasn't sure. Thanks for your input.

You should be able to change an existing ressie, but if you're within 45 days out of the trip you might be charged a change fee. I'd give them a call, though and see what can be arranged.

They usually do not charge a change fee if you are upgrading resort.

Are you certain that the 40% off discount wouldnt save you more than the free dining at a deluxe resort?

I think you will still be able to. But be prepared to be on the phone for a while. That is something guest services has to do. Last year we downgraded and was not charged a fee. Maybe we had a nice cm and lots of pixie dust. My step son decied to come and we couldn't afford 2 rooms at a mod so we went with pop. Him and his GF are coming again this year so we are at pop again.

Are you certain that the 40% off discount wouldnt save you more than the free dining at a deluxe resort?

I can assure you that a 40% discount at a deluxe saves significantly more than "free dining" at a deluxe. I had this choice when I booked WL (the least expensive of the deluxes), and the difference in savings between the two for me was around $800 in favor of the 40% discount. I got a 40% room only discount. If one can get a room/ticket discount of around 40%, the savings would be even greater versus "free dining."

I can assure you that a 40% discount at a deluxe saves significantly more than "free dining" at a deluxe. I had this choice when I booked WL (the least expensive of the deluxes), and the difference in savings between the two for me was around $800 in favor of the 40% discount. I got a 40% room only discount. If one can get a room/ticket discount of around 40%, the savings would be even greater versus "free dining."

Not necessarily. For a family of four, if you have 2 kids ages 10 and over, free dining actually saves you more money than a 40% room-only code would at standard rooms at any of the deluxes.

Not necessarily. For a family of four, if you have 2 kids ages 10 and over, free dining actually saves you more money than a 40% room-only code would at standard rooms at any of the deluxes.

This assumes eating only at WDW, eating one TS meal, one CS meal and one snack per day. We vary from that pattern, have a 10 yo DD and a 7 yo DD, and were able to get a courtyard view room with bunk beds at WL for about $1,200 less than rack rate for the time we're going.

We would never, ever spend $1,200 on food alone at WDW, even after both our kids are 10 or older. To get the "free dining" would have required rack rate on the room, plus at least one extra set of MYW tix we didn't need, and then we'd be stuck having to go with the "free dining" we got and nothing offsite, because we would not be able to afford anything else for that week.

Getting a room only discount (via bounceback), having AP's already (we went in April as well), and generally being happy with a table service meal only every other day (or less), allowed us to save far more than opting for "free dining" would have.

You're right, though: some people might be able to save more using "free dining" than with straight % discounts, especially at the least expensive resorts. But I believe those occasions are not as common as the hype over "free dining" would have us believe.

One should always add up the total bottom line cost of a WDW vacation and compare all the available discounts. I believe if people are flexible in their dining choices and/or wish to stay in some of the deluxe or moderate resorts, "free dining" is not the deal a lot of people make it out to be.

John, I totally agree. I actually saved every receipt from the last time we got free dining (QSDP) and wrote the totals on each receipt, with the intention of adding them up to see if we really spent what "free dining" cost us. I wound up accidentally tossing a few receipts after we returned home, though, so I never did find out a total. For us, we would never get a dessert after every meal, and oftentimes, my kids share a drink and I get a water, so 4 drinks at every meal isn't the norm for us. My DH really wants to get the QSDP for our next visit (OOP- not free dining- we save more with the AP rate) but I'm thinking we'll just pay as we go...too tempting to overload on the calories with all of those meal and snack credits!

Yes Disney will let you upgrade without penalty but you would only be able to go with current offers. If the deadline for FD has passed I do not think the system will let you book it.

Denise in MI

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter