Another borrowed points question...sorry

Stephen's Mom

<font color=green>Had a California Adventure<br><f
Our use year is August. We have a trip planned in late June this year using some of our current year points (which will expire at the end of August) and then we borrowed some points from next use year. If we have to cancel will all these points expire by the end of August 2020 now? Or will they allow us to bank the borrowed points somehow to use before August 2021?? I'm so confused and I don't want to call DVC and ask because I know so may people have trips earlier than ours to reschedule (plus I'm not ready to pull the plug on this just yet).

Points for an Aug UY expire July 31st, not the end of August,

Right Now, it seems that Disney is not allowing the borrowed points to be put back for members unless their reservations are in March..maybe early April.

So, if you cancel June now, those points will be stuck and expire July 31st, 2020

Points for an Aug UY expire July 31st, not the end of August,

Right Now, it seems that Disney is not allowing the borrowed points to be put back for members unless their reservations are in March..maybe early April.

So, if you cancel June now, those points will be stuck and expire July 31st, 2020
Oops, my use year is Sept not August but regardless I guess that means I will lose them if we can't go before the end of August this year. No point cancelling right now anyways. I may as well wait and see what happens. Thanks for clarifying this all for me!

Oops, my use year is Sept not August but regardless I guess that means I will lose them if we can't go before the end of August this year. No point cancelling right now anyways. I may as well wait and see what happens. Thanks for clarifying this all for me!

Yes, I agree. No sense canceling those reservations for May and June,,,I have a reservation in each of those months...because if things continue and they aren’t reopening, then I imagine that many of the things they are doing now will be extended.

I'm in the same boat (but by July 31). I'm curious if I can change to RCI if the trip is indeed cancelled. I'm not too keen to give Disney my money right now. My AP will be expired and I am not ready to get a new one.

I'm in the same boat (but by July 31). I'm curious if I can change to RCI if the trip is indeed cancelled. I'm not too keen to give Disney my money right now. My AP will be expired and I am not ready to get a new one.
That's a good question - I was actually wondering about the same thing butI don't have an answer. I'm going to lose 160 current year points if I don't bank them by April 30 (or travel by Aug 31) and I also have 128 in borrowed points that I'm going to lose now if I don't use them by Aug 31 since they can't go back into next year's points. It does suck. I've never borrowed points before - what luck that something like this would happen the one time I do it!

If you plan to deposit the points into RCI, you will need to do it at least 14 days (might actually need to be deposited 15 days prior - ask MS if this applies to you) before they expire and there will be booking window restrictions if you don't deposit more than 45 days in advance of expiration.

From Page 8 of the RCI disclosure guide on the DVC Members' Website:

Deposits of Vacation Time received by DVC Member Services from 45 days and until 14 days before the commencement date of the Vacation Time being deposited also are accepted; provided, however, that such deposits can only be used for an exchange that will occur from 44 days and until 24 hours in advance of the desired Vacation Time.

RCI Disclosure Guide

Last edited:

Thank you. This makes me feel better about losing the points. And gives me an excuse for a non-Disney vacation.

Has Disney officially announced this? I just double checked the website and it does not mention a date.
What would happen if you canceled a reservation online and didn't call MS?
We have an Aug UY and a trip to Aulani scheduled for July using both 2019 and borrowed 2020 points. If the points went back to the original UY, I would get the 2020 points put back there and be able to bank the 2019 into 2020 and postpone the trip to Aug (or next summer).

Has Disney officially announced this? I just double checked the website and it does not mention a date.
We have an Aug UY and a trip to Aulani scheduled for July using both 2019 and borrowed 2020 points. If the points went back to the original UY, I would get the 2020 points put back there and be able to bank the 2019 into 2020 and postpone the trip to Aug (or next summer).
Normal cancellation rules apply for your trip. The only exception offered right now is for those who had a cancelled reservation for a stay between 3/20 and 3/31. The points returned for those reservations did not go into holding - because the resorts were closed. If the resorts remain closed after 3/31, I would expect the waiver re holding will be extended for cancellations during the extended closure.

If it helps you decide whether to cancel your July trip or not, the Governor of Hawaii has just asked all visitors to stay away for 30 days. That's a big deal for Hawaii, given how dependent their economy is on tourism. No one knows if that will be extended or made mandatory.

To "save" the 2019 points by banking them to 2020, you'll have to cancel before your banking deadline, which is 3/31/2020. MS is not allowing any exceptions to the banking rules at this time and I don't think there is any chance that you will be allowed to return the borrowed points to 2020.

Sorry for your situation.

The rule to put back borrowed points was stopped on Monday. My post information was from last week when they did allow it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter