Annual School Supply List Vent

So no "go fish" I guess.

My daughter will be a senior she's has 2 high school teachers that I wish could be cloned because they are amazing. One teaches statistics. Dd had him for AP stat and he uses blackjack to teach statistics. She got a 5 on the exam.

He made the class sound like so much fun at back to school night I wanted to take it. She'll have him again this coming year for some college level super advanced statistics course and is really looking forward to it.

I feel sad for any parent that wouldn't allow their child to have this teacher over a deck of cards.

No, specially marked cards are fine, like Rook, Uno, go fish etc, It is just playing cards that are the problem, playing cards meaning the four suits and joker king queen ace etc.

No, specially marked cards are fine, like Rook, Uno, go fish etc, It is just playing cards that are the problem, playing cards meaning the four suits and joker king queen ace etc.

I haven't heard of this practice before. Is it because cards are used in gambling / betting? Horses and sports are commonly bet on as well, and I'm genuinely curious if you stay away from those, even when, like with using cards for math games, there is no betting or gambling going on.

So my only kid is starting Kindergarten next week and they only requested items were for classroom: clorox wipes and dry erase markers. Everything else will be provided. I was pretty shocked! No other supply list will be coming home

I haven't heard of this practice before. Is it because cards are used in gambling / betting? Horses and sports are commonly bet on as well, and I'm genuinely curious if you stay away from those, even when, like with using cards for math games, there is no betting or gambling going on.

No, nothing to do with gambling.it has to do with pagan/astrological roots, and the significance of the suits, the 52 cards and the meaning of the ace card.

Last edited:
Not looking to derail the topic or start a war, but just a heads up for any parent to check into if concerned. I teach in a small town. There is a somewhat larger town 15 minutes one direction that the school district houses the special Ed co-op, another town larger than the co-op one 15 minutes the other direction where the community college and the career counseling coop is housed and finally a large city 30 minutes in yet another direction. ALL of these places host Supply Our Students/Stuff the Bus supply drives basically as soon as one school year ends and say they benefit all the school districts in the area (ours included). I was getting tired of repeatedly handing out my pens/paper/etc to my high schoolers and inquired to admin about the donated items and always got the run around (went on for 7 yesrs). Finally this year a coworker's spouse became an admin and asked if our dept could use some supplies that they had tons. Turns out one person in the district controlled and handed out as they chose. So if you're having a problem with your students pretty much being required to supply others and you know there's one of these initiatives in your area, you may do some checking to make sure everyone is benefitting.

Wow, I never would have know that.

Well as we say on the dis, it may be regional. ;)
It was something handed down to me through generations of baptist Appalachians. Never had cards around because of it but never thought much about it either; then as an adult read a book about it

My daughter going into seventh grade has a large supply list including about 6 binders, a calculator, paper, pens etc etc etc.
we bought some of the supplies which already cost me about $50, and more need purchased

My son is a senior . He'll get his list the first day of school which means all the cheap stuff will be gone. Supplies i could buy now will cost me three times as much once he starts school. Plus now they go back after labor day which will make it worse.

I buy what my kids need but nothing extra. If my kids run out of something, I'll buy them more. I buy them little packs of kleenex or personal hand sanitizer.
I dont send in gift cards , boxes of kleenex or clorox wipes as requested on their lists

We moved 2 years ago and I love the system here. You pay a flat fee ($20-30) and the school does a bulk buy for the years supplies. So much easier!
I'd pay double to avoid the scrum of back to school shopping...

No, nothing to do with gambling.it has to do with pagan/astrological roots, and the significance of the suits, the 52 cards and the meaning of the ace card.
LOLOLing here-has obviously whomever decided on this has never been to Silver Dollar City in Branson MO-there is a storyteller that uses a deck of cards to tell bible stories...A symbol is only what you make of it clearly:)

To other moms of middle/ high school kids:

Here's what works well for me:

I have no supply lists yet.

I have a bin (by September, 2 bins) in the basement. At this point in the year, I'm in Target and STaples at least once a week, stocking up on whatever is on sale.

I buy tons of loose leaf, notebooks, pens, pencils, erasers, notebooks, you name it. A binder for each kid for each subject, with a few extras thrown in. If any of my kids is taking art, I get a sketch book. Geometry means a compass and a protractor.

That first week of school, we pull what we need out of the bins.

We keep lots of spares.

And anything we know we won't use, we donate to a local charity; there are always lots of school supply drives this time of year. I can be generous with my donations, since I got all the stuff dirt cheap over the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter