ANNUAL READING GOAL CHALLENGE for 2015!

Please add me! I will make my goal 12 for the year, though I hope to read more than that.

I am most excited about the latest book in the Alex Cross series by James Patterson, anything by Jodi Picoult, and one that I was given for Christmas that's title has escaped my memory at the moment.

I am in again. I didn't quite meet my goal last year. My goal will be 30 books. I am going to read book 2 and 3 in the Kingdom Keepers series. DD got books 1-3 for Christmas so while she is readin book 1, I will read book 2. I also would like to read unbroken, the 2nd maze runner book and Insurgent (before my son makes me take him to see them in the movie theater). ;)

My goal for last year was 100. I didn't make it but I was so close!!! 92 :goodvibes

So this year I will go for 100 again. DH got me 9 new books for Christmas so I'm excited to get to those. I've started Growing up Duggar and so far it's really good. I'm also really excited to read Positive:a memoir by Paige Rawl. and the other books in the Selection series.

One of my New Years resolutions is to reread the Harry Potter series so hopefully I will get back in to those soon!

What a great thread to find!! I used to be a voracious reader. In my twenties I would easily read 100 books in a year. It was my favourite form of entertainment.
Then after work/kids/responsibilities increased I find I have less time and it dwindled to maybe 10 a year. But that's an excuse really because what do I do with downtime? Internet or tv right before bed. I might as well take that hour or two to read more.

I started an account on Good Reads and my list has at least 30 books that looked interesting and that was only after poking around for 15 minutes.

I will start out with a goal of 42 books.. and hope to surpass it.

I am most excited to read the book I started today by one of my favourite authors, Amy Tan... "The Valley of Amazement".:goodvibes

ETA) and reading through this thread I am going to commit to trying the Outlander series. I have tried to get into twice and just absolutely couldn't. But I'm funny that way. Sometimes I can pick up something I didn't like and years later I love it. It's worth another shot :)

I will start off...

I'm going to stick with my goal of 30 books even though I read 41 in 2014. I have some really big books on my list (Outlander series at 900+ a book!) so want to keep the number low because of that.

What I am most looking forward to...

Diana Gabaldon's newest book - Written in My Heart's Own Blood (Outlander #8) - but before I can get to that one, I need to read books 3-7!

Can you help me out a little? I'm very late to the "Outlander" party; I've looked at the series for literally years and although I'm a big fantasy-genre fan, I've always passed it up. Watching the tv show got me - I received the box-set for Christmas! But I'm wondering if I can dispense with reading the first volume - how comprehensively was it done on the show? Am I fine to just jump into "Dragonfly in Amber"? I'm really anxious to see what happens next and am finding myself skimming "Outlander" just to get through it and move on. Thoughts?

I actually read two more books before the year ended (was on vaca!) and I think I will up my goal to 45 for this year.

I'm looking forward to getting back into the Maggie O'Dell series, and hopefully trying some of the Jo Jo Moyes books.

I am making my goal 30 again. I am also making a goal to update more often!

#1 - All the Light We Cannot See

This was so good! It takes place during WW II and mostly goes back and forth between a German boy and a Parisian girl. The boy is an orphan and extremely smart. The German army ends up using him to figure out where radio transmissions are coming from. The girl is blind and helps with the Resistance when France is occupied by the Nazis. This is very good, but not light. I read it on vacation and sometimes had to stop and soak it all in.

I am looking forward to the sequel to the Rosie Project. I have several books to read, but I may have to buy that one for my Kindle!

I will start out with a goal of 42 books.. and hope to surpass it.

I am most excited to read the book I started today by one of my favourite authors, Amy Tan... "The Valley of Amazement".:goodvibes

I read that in 2014 and really liked it. It can get wordy though. I still have not read The Joy Luck Club although I have had it from Half Price Books for a long time!

I'm really interested in joining this year. I lurked last year, and having a goal on Goodreads really helped keep me accountable.

I'm setting my bar high with 80 books this year.

Can you help me out a little? I'm very late to the "Outlander" party; I've looked at the series for literally years and although I'm a big fantasy-genre fan, I've always passed it up. Watching the tv show got me - I received the box-set for Christmas! But I'm wondering if I can dispense with reading the first volume - how comprehensively was it done on the show? Am I fine to just jump into "Dragonfly in Amber"? I'm really anxious to see what happens next and am finding myself skimming "Outlander" just to get through it and move on. Thoughts?

It was done well in the show--they still aren't through the first book with Season One. Personally, I think you should read it. You really need that "base" to get the character definition plus there are just a billion small details that the show can't capture.

First post updated through this point. Please please let me know if I have somehow missed you or mistyped your book goal!

This is my 2nd time reading the Outlander series (well, for books 1-5). SO many details I missed the first time around and so many things I forgot as I progressed through each book... which is why I am rereading since my memory stinks!

I also have watched the TV episodes. I certainly wouldn't jump right into book #2. The series really only covered half of the first book - so much happens beyond where the show ended that you would be absolutely LOST if you went right into book #2.

Skim if you have to through the parts that were covered in the series, but make sure you slow down in others... and certainly around the halfway point begin reading in earnest!

They did a great job with the TV series... as good as you can do with TV as opposed to the written word. But so much is missing... you can't possibly get a grasp on what a wonderful guy that Jamie Fraser is :lovestruc or how amazing the relationship is between them or the absolute BLACKNESS of Jack Randall... I was shocked that the show almost depicted him as rather "human" lol.

You are so lucky to have received the boxed set! I wish I owned the hardcovers of these books. This is one series I know I will reread many more times throughout my lifetime.

Read it. Not only do you get a much better sense of the characters in the books, the first series only made it about halfway through Outlander so you'd miss a LOT by jumping into Dragonfly in Amber.

Book 1. Mark of the Loon by Molly Greene
A mystery on the fluff side an easy read. First in a series. I would read the rest if I could find them at the library.

1/26

#1-Mockingjay

I loved both the Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Mockingjay definitely did not meet my expectations at all. :( I would rate it a 2 out of 5 stars.

Now onto book 7 of the Kingdom Keepers series. I have high hopes for this one. :)

It looks like I'm starting the new year off with finishing various series.

Finished book #1 - The Magpies by Mark Edwards

Wow, what a creepy book! It's about the neighbors from hell who torment the couple who live above them.

When Jamie and Kirsty move into their first home together, they are full of optimism. The future, in which they plan to get married and start a family, is bright. The other residents of their building seem friendly too, including the Newtons, a married couple who welcome them to the building with open arms.
But then strange things start to happen. Dead rats are left on their doorstep. They hear disturbing noises, and much worse, in the night. After Jamie's best friend is injured in a horrific accident, Jamie and Kirsty find themselves targeted by a campaign of terror.
As they are driven to the edge of despair, Jamie vows to fight back—but he has no idea what he is really up against . . .
The Magpies is a gripping psychological thriller in which the monsters are not vampires or demons but the people who live next door. It is a nightmare that could happen to anyone.

Next book: Everfound (Book 3 of Skinjacker trilogy)

I'm a long-time disboards lurker and have decided to dip my toe in and test the waters. This forum seems like a good place to start, especially since I took my screen name from one of my favorite books.

I have a Kindle full of books I need to make time to read. 40 seems like a good goal.

I've recently discovered Liane Moriarty and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of her books.

I'm new to this thread. I'd like to sign up with 12 books. More would be great, but I'll set the bar low.

I'm currently reading All The Light We Cannot See--loving it.

Before that I read Gone Girl (so good, loved every minute reading it), Orphan Train (awful) and The Husband's Secret (also awful).

I'm looking forward to reading Station Eleven.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter