Annual Reading Challenge--2020

So, I'm an overachiever...

31/30--Reverie by Ryan La Sala
This was a really cool YA book. As a parent of two LGBTQ teens, I truly loved the gay main character, the Drag Queen villain and the fact that they just WERE and it wasn't ABOUT their identity (or was it on a more meta level??). Cool idea about how we slip into daydreams but they are actually real and we don't know it. Only a select few have the ability to be aware of these daydreams or "reveries" and take action when they turn dark and dangerous.

32/30--Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
I just watched the new Shirley Jackson movie and realized this was a hugely popular book that I just never read. I saw the HBO series, but that was a totally different animal than this book. Absolutely loved it. Very scary!

33/30-The Topeka School by Ben Lerner
This was on so many "best of 2019" lists that I had to give it shot. I thought it was fantastic. Lerner is such a talented writer. The fact that it is about our personal relationships, mistakes, the way we are raised, and ultimately how that impacts our culture was spot-on. I won't get political here but understand that on a very real level it is all about how we got to this place where DT becomes president.

34/30-Ring Shout by P. Djeli Clark
This was creepy beyond belief. The KKK is real but they have been infiltrated by monsters that masquerade as "Ku Kluxes." A rag-tag band of fighters are the only ones that know the truth and have to fight these monsters. There's a description of The Butcher that just makes me squirm--it rivals anything in a Stephen King novel. One of my favorite books of the year!

So I'm in the middle of reading the fifth book in King's Dark Tower series "The Wolves of Calla." So far I love the inclusion of long lost character from Jerusalem's Lot!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Please stay safe, wear a mask, social distance, and stay home. This pandemic is sure to end soon!!
Putting Ring Shout on my list! Loved The Haunting of Hill House & The Dark Tower series is one of my all time favorites also.

As the year comes to an end, I am reflecting on what a joy it has been to read with you all and to share this literary journey. While it was my first year in the group, it will definitely not be my last. I started the year with a series on a plague (Alex Scarrow's Plague series), spent lots of time re-reading my Stephen King library in publication date order (starting in 1974 and making it as far as 1993), educated myself on politics, culture, and history, and took an active role in learning about racism and how to make changes for the better in our society.

It was quite a journey, and next year will be a wonderful continuation.

I especially want to thank @willowsnn3 (Susan) for all of the hard work in keeping the list updated. You are my reading angel, and if it were up to me, I would nominate you to do it again (and to be a guest on a DIS podcast).

For now, my final two books for the year (unless I can sneak one more in):

66. The Zealot and the Emancipator: John Brown, Abraham Lincoln, and the Struggle for American Freedom by H.W. Brands

This historical retelling of John Brown's life and featuring moments from Abraham Lincoln's life, is a fascinating study of the run-up to the Civil War, the abolitionist movement in America, and Lincoln's thoughts about slavery. With real life anecdotes from Frederick Douglass, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Jefferson Davis, John Wilkes Booth and other secondary characters, one gets a real taste of the times, and I left understanding much more about Lincoln's mixed history on slavery and racism. This was an education, and helped reframe my understanding of the times. I always knew John Brown was an interesting and troubled figure; this book helped me learn so much more about his struggle and his stated purpose.

67. A Promised Land by Barack Obama

This is a beautifully written memoir of the first half of Obama's presidency. A real page turner (and - wow - how many pages it is; more than 700), the book is a must read for anyone who has an interest in politics, regardless of your political beliefs. While some may read this and disagree with his characterizations, the book presents a very intimate look into the life of this former president. Each president in modern times has written a memoir; and this one does not disappoint. Looking forward to finishing it by December 31 (I am in the 500s right now), and looking forward to reading part 2 whenever it comes.

Thanks again to each of you for being a community of readers with me, and I look forward to our next year together.
Could not agree more with the sentiment!

I have fallen way behind in posting since I met my goal. To bring me up to date:

Catching Christmas by Terri Blackstock. This is actually Christian romantic fiction with the happy ending by an author more famous for her 'If I Run' suspense series. It was well written and a refreshing read for the season.

Murder in Saint-Remy by Susan Kiernan-Lewis. Number 15 in the Maggie Newberry Mystery series. Its plot is improbable but I still enjoyed the writing style. I have read a couple of this series but feel no need to seek them out.

The Ultimate Lakeview Collection by Melissa Hill. This was a five book series, all of which were Christian romantic fiction with the standard happy ending.

The Unfinished Gift by Dan Walsh. Christian fiction. This was another Christmas themed book and set in WWII. It has a sequel and I may try and track it down.

After, Jabez, After 2, After 3, Her Undying Faith by Joy Ohagwu. A five book Christian romantic fiction series. All with a happy ending.

The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson. Non-fiction. This was a book of substance and well worth the effort it took to read it. It covered in detail how for several decades, from WWI through the 1960's, Black citizens fled the South for northern and western cities in search of a better life.

83-96 of 80. I have surpassed my goal but hope to make it to a 100 before the year ends.

28/30. The Boden Birthright by Mary Connelly - Widowed father takes his son out west in 1800's New Mexico to start a new life. Danger and love add to the adventure.

29/30. The Only Best Place by Carolyn Aarsen - Couple from Vancouver move to Alberta to try to heal their marriage as they help on the family farm. Lots of family drama and a strong faith aspect.I

30/30. A Mistletoe Kiss by Jennifer Faye. - Hometown girl and retired Army Ranger pretend to have a relationship to escape her parents pity at her bad luck with men. Love at Christmas and a happy ending.

As the year comes to an end, I am reflecting on what a joy it has been to read with you all and to share this literary journey. While it was my first year in the group, it will definitely not be my last. I started the year with a series on a plague (Alex Scarrow's Plague series), spent lots of time re-reading my Stephen King library in publication date order (starting in 1974 and making it as far as 1993), educated myself on politics, culture, and history, and took an active role in learning about racism and how to make changes for the better in our society.

It was quite a journey, and next year will be a wonderful continuation.

I especially want to thank @willowsnn3 (Susan) for all of the hard work in keeping the list updated. You are my reading angel, and if it were up to me, I would nominate you to do it again (and to be a guest on a DIS podcast).

For now, my final two books for the year (unless I can sneak one more in):

66. The Zealot and the Emancipator: John Brown, Abraham Lincoln, and the Struggle for American Freedom by H.W. Brands

This historical retelling of John Brown's life and featuring moments from Abraham Lincoln's life, is a fascinating study of the run-up to the Civil War, the abolitionist movement in America, and Lincoln's thoughts about slavery. With real life anecdotes from Frederick Douglass, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Jefferson Davis, John Wilkes Booth and other secondary characters, one gets a real taste of the times, and I left understanding much more about Lincoln's mixed history on slavery and racism. This was an education, and helped reframe my understanding of the times. I always knew John Brown was an interesting and troubled figure; this book helped me learn so much more about his struggle and his stated purpose.

67. A Promised Land by Barack Obama

This is a beautifully written memoir of the first half of Obama's presidency. A real page turner (and - wow - how many pages it is; more than 700), the book is a must read for anyone who has an interest in politics, regardless of your political beliefs. While some may read this and disagree with his characterizations, the book presents a very intimate look into the life of this former president. Each president in modern times has written a memoir; and this one does not disappoint. Looking forward to finishing it by December 31 (I am in the 500s right now), and looking forward to reading part 2 whenever it comes.

Thanks again to each of you for being a community of readers with me, and I look forward to our next year together.

Looks like I was able to sneak in a few more, and these are SOOOO worthwhile. I highly recommend both to you.

68. Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle by Emily Nagoski and Amelia Nagoski

This book dives deep into the experience of burnout, and provides strategies for dealing with stress in our crazy modern world. Written for women and by women, the book prides itself on being a "feminist self-help book". I am not a woman (cis- or trans-), and I learned so much from this book about how to manage my own stress, and how to help the women I love in my life with theirs. I highly recommend this book; it is funny, relevant, instructive, and moving. Help spread the word. And "I am the new hotness".

69. Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates

What a haunting and beautiful work. Written as a letter to his son, Coates takes us on a tour-de-force of the African-American experience sharing the fear, heartache and beauty of peoplehood that his life has shown him. As a white male, this book was a gift to me to read about the experience of someone who is roughly my age and in whose shoes I have not walked. I share though my love for my children, and to see and read Coates' words of warning, hope, love, and ultimately faith in his son's future is to share in the important work of bridge-building and (God-willing) healing. This is a monumental work (although short in length) and in concert with Austin Channing Brown's I'm Still Here (which I reviewed above) presents a deep insight into the modern lived experiences of African-Americans. These two works should be required reading.

Can I squeeze in one more before New Year's? Stay tuned!

42/25 The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Non-fiction historical account of the 1893 World‘s Fair in Chicago as well as the killing spree of H.H.Holmes that was occurring simultaneously.

A friend had recommended this book a while ago to me and I just never got to it. So happy I finally buckled down and read it. It was truly interesting how the fair came to be despite stumbling blocks. Interesting to hear all the things that came out of the fair, like Wrigley’s gum, Pabst blue ribbon and the Ferris wheel. Equally fascinating was the serial killer storyline.

42/25 The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Non-fiction historical account of the 1893 World‘s Fair in Chicago as well as the killing spree of H.H.Holmes that was occurring simultaneously.

A friend had recommended this book a while ago to me and I just never got to it. So happy I finally buckled down and read it. It was truly interesting how the fair came to be despite stumbling blocks. Interesting to hear all the things that came out of the fair, like Wrigley’s gum, Pabst blue ribbon and the Ferris wheel. Equally fascinating was the serial killer storyline.
I have read several of his books and enjoyed them thoroughly. He has the ability to make nonfiction seem like a novel.

#18/25- The Jetsetters by Amanda Eyre Ward- This was an odd book, it was a bit jumbled and unintentionally funny in parts given it's serious subject matter. It was okay but definitely not one I'd read again.

43/25 Grand by Sara Schaefer

A memoir, the author describes her whitewater rafting journey through the Grand Canyon she takes with her sister the year she turns forty. The chapters alternate between that trip and her life, mostly her childhood and the death of her mother.

I had no idea who Sara Schaefer is, the book tells me she’s a comedian, a comedy writer and former cohost of an MTV late night show. I picked up the book because I have visited the Grand Canyon and thought it would be a lot more on that. The chapters about the whitewater trip were good. The story of her life held my attention. It was a very quick read.

Looks like I was able to sneak in a few more, and these are SOOOO worthwhile. I highly recommend both to you.

68. Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle by Emily Nagoski and Amelia Nagoski

This book dives deep into the experience of burnout, and provides strategies for dealing with stress in our crazy modern world. Written for women and by women, the book prides itself on being a "feminist self-help book". I am not a woman (cis- or trans-), and I learned so much from this book about how to manage my own stress, and how to help the women I love in my life with theirs. I highly recommend this book; it is funny, relevant, instructive, and moving. Help spread the word. And "I am the new hotness".

What a haunting and beautiful work. Written as a letter to his son, Coates takes us on a tour-de-force of the African-American experience sharing the fear, heartache and beauty of peoplehood that his life has shown him. As a white male, this book was a gift to me to read about the experience of someone who is roughly my age and in whose shoes I have not walked. I share though my love for my children, and to see and read Coates' words of warning, hope, love, and ultimately faith in his son's future is to share in the important work of bridge-building and (God-willing) healing. This is a monumental work (although short in length) and in concert with Austin Channing Brown's I'm Still Here (which I reviewed above) presents a deep insight into the modern lived experiences of African-Americans. These two works should be required reading.

Can I squeeze in one more before New Year's? Stay tuned!

Well, it was a banner weekend. Three more books done! And all worthwhile. I can't believe how quickly these went by. Each are highly recommended.

70. Gaslighting America: Why We Love It When Trump Lies to Us by Amanda Carpenter

In keeping with my practice, I will not review the book here. However, if you would like a candid review, feel free to message me.

71. The Silver Arrow by Lev Grossman

This children's book is in the tradition of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe or the books of Roald Dahl. The author of The Magicians series (and if you haven't read that series, you need to... now), writes a book about a special birthday for Kate (she is turning 11), and the special gift given to her by her weird Uncle Herbert (a lifesize magical steam locomotive). Kate and her younger brother, Tom, begin a wondrous adventure that will educate, entertain and inspire you as a reader. This is a book I wanted to read aloud with a child (sadly, all of my kids are two old for it now), and one I cherished.

72. Agnes at the End of the World by Kelly McWilliams

Wow! What a great book to finish (?) the year. How to describe this genre-defying book? In part the story of a cult and a young girl escaping the clutches of the cult, in part a plague / sci-fi story, and in part a religious novel, this book is truly wonderful. The characters are well-drawn, the plot moves quickly, and the alternative POV chapters between Agnes and her sister, Beth, keeps the reader's interest. willowssn read and reviewed this above and I knew I had to read it. In addition, I started my year out with a plague series (by Alex Scarrow - see the review of the series in the first post of the year) and I figured it was a good way to bookmark the year by ending with another plague story. This one did not disappoint!

88/80. I don’t know if I will read as many books next year, I am hoping to be away from home much of the time!

I waited 4 months to get “All the Devils are Here “by Louise Penny, and I read it in two days. It takes place in Paris, it‘s a great read!

I truly loved this book. I think about it all the time. Coates is able to take such complicated thoughts and put them into beautiful and relatable words. It makes me think of James Baldwin's The Fire Next Time which has a similar "letter to" structure. I'll have to check out I'm Still Here.

OK, just one more before the end of the year.

35/30-Wolves of the Calla--Stephen King's 5th book in the Dark Tower series. Might be my favorite of the series. The way King is able to weave so many stories together amazes me. His Calla Bryn Sturgis storyline, Father Callahan's storyline, and the bigger Dark Tower storyline are fused so incredibly well. Can't wait to start Song of Susannah.

#9/60
What Rose Forgot by Nevada Barr
Rose Dennis wakes up in a hospital gown, her brain in a fog, only to discover that she's been committed to an Alzheimer's Unit in a nursing home. With no memory of how she ended up in this position, Rose is sure that something is very wrong. When she overhears one of the administrators saying about her that she's "not making it through the week," Rose is convinced that if she's to survive, she has to get out of the nursing home. She avoids taking her medication, putting on a show for the aides, then stages her escape.
The only problem is—how does she convince anyone that she's not actually demented? Her relatives were the ones to commit her, all the legal papers were drawn up, the authorities are on the side of the nursing home, and even she isn't sure she sounds completely sane. But any lingering doubt Rose herself might have had is erased when a would-be killer shows up in her house in the middle of the night. Now Rose knows that someone is determined to get rid of her.
With the help of her computer hacker/recluse sister Marion, thirteen-year old granddaughter Mel, and Mel's friend Royal, Rose begins to gather her strength and fight back—to find out who is after her and take back control of her own life. But someone out there is still determined to kill Rose, and they're holding all the cards.

I really enjoyed this one.
I did too, my 89/80

I'm getting one more in before the end of the year, lol
#19/25- The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes- I picked up this book yesterday and finished it this morning! I seriously could not put it down, great story, loved it.

#69/60 The Night Before by Wendy Walker
Laura Lochner has never been lucky in love. She falls too hard and too fast, always choosing the wrong men. Devastated by the end of her last relationship, she fled her Wall Street job and New York City apartment for her sister’s home in the Connecticut suburb where they both grew up. Though still haunted by the tragedy that’s defined her entire life, Laura is determined to take one more chance on love with a man she’s met on an Internet dating site.
Rosie Ferro has spent most of her life worrying about her troubled sister. Fearless but fragile, Laura has always walked an emotional tightrope, and Rosie has always been there to catch her. Laura’s return, under mysterious circumstances, has cast a shadow over Rosie’s peaceful life with her husband and young son – a shadow that grows darker as Laura leaves the house for her blind date.
When Laura does not return home the following morning, Rosie fears the worst. She’s not responding to calls or texts, and she’s left no information about the man she planned to meet. As Rosie begins a desperate search to find her sister, she is not just worried about what this man might have done to Laura. She’s worried about what Laura may have done to him…

Ok, I really didn't care for this one. I keep telling myself I don't like psychological thrillers but still keep picking them up. Last book of the year for me. But going back thru the posts & writing down all the ones that I say I am putting on my list. I have little to be read lists everywhere, lol. I'm kinda like Dory, I guess: putting this on my list, oh look, there's another book....

7 of 20: Golden in Death by J D Robb

Anyway, Golden in Death is the 50th book in the "In Death" series, about a cop in 2060's New York City. This installment, people were getting killed by a poison gas, and they were all related to a private school. I found the ending disapointmenting. The killer's motive was stupid.

8 of 20: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

I read this every Christmas. Every time, I find something new about it that I love.

Yikes. 8. Such a bad year. Somehow this pandemic made me busier than ever with church-related things, and I got easily distracted from reading.

90/80. I finished The Handmaid’s Tail by Margaret Atwood. I read it because I read the interview with her in AARP magazine. Now I see references to her here and on other threads. I truly had no idea about this tale! A good book!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter