Annual Passes Resume April 13 (DVC) April 20 (General Public)

Let me explain the out of state AP issue.

Years ago, I lived in NY and owned DVC. We would do the “even/odd” plan. Buy an AP in August of the odd year, and use it thru July of the even year. Basically a week long trip at the beginning and at the end of the cycle. Visiting WDW was expensive, plane ride, rental car and all.

Later, we moved to NC. An 8 hour drive to the castle. Long weekend trips became a possibility. We maintained that same pattern, but now made 3-5 trips for the year we had the AP. Then we basically took a year off.

Things changed again, and we started renewing the AP. Always having an AP meant we could go any time. Still those 3-5 trips a year, sometimes more. Times were great, and we would often go down to visit friends and family from NY that were on vacation. Again, often just meeting up with them for the weekend while they were there for a week.

Then the pandemic happened. Due to low hotel prices, we went even more. For work travel I am a Hilton person. With no conventions, and may people not traveling, I was getting rooms at Hilton properties for $62 a night. With the kids only being in school 4 days a week, we were driving down on Thursday nights, and being in the parks form Friday until noon on Sunday. We spent a total of 28 days in the parks from July of 2020 to July of 2021.

But then things changed a bit. The new reservation system made getting a park reservation more difficult at times. Of course, prices started to go back up, and even go higher than before. We renewed our AP in 2021, and again in 2022. But I really debated not renewing in 2022. What kept me renewing was first the FOMO. Would I ever be able to get an AP again? Disney was only offering renewals. And of course, second, we already had 2 trips planned for this year.

The reservation system also meant it would be tougher to go on a spontaneous trip. Like when my sister would call and say they were going in two weeks and would we like to meet up. I could, but that could put our next scheduled trip at risk if we had to cancel our reservations.

With my youngest about to start collage in a different part of the country, I just do not see us having the time or the finances to go to Disney. So, we will say goodbye for now. I am glad to see that we may be able to get APs in the future, but again, who knows for sure.

But, my point, is Disney needs the AP people. It helps fill the parks when the crowds are low. Not all APs come in to the park for a couple of hours. Of course locals do. But locals also bring “others” to the parks. I cannot tell you how many people went to Disney only because we would go with them. How many people are going to Disney because they have family that live nearby.

Our big trip this year in May will include 13 of us. Only 3 of us have APs. We are bringing a lot of business to Disney.

Since we drive, and often stay off-site, we can really control our costs. But we all know, Disney is an expensive vacation…

Can you imagine the frenzy if park tickets were $5? And they were limited?

If you offered that price during periods of low demand I don't think you could fill the park. Just like I don't think charging $500 at Christmas would be high enough to drive enough people away.

If you offered that price during periods of low demand I don't think you could fill the park. Just like I don't think charging $500 at Christmas would be high enough to drive enough people away.
I’m sorry, but I don’t understand. You think the park would not fill during low demand if they offered $5 day tickets?? Seriously? Could you imagine the absolute crazy show it would cause if they announced $5 tickets? And you think releasing APs causes a frenzy but not that? There really isn’t any times that are low demand anymore, there are just periods with lower demand than packed.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand. You think the park would not fill during low demand if they offered $5 day tickets?? Seriously? Could you imagine the absolute crazy show it would cause if they announced $5 tickets? And you think releasing APs causes a frenzy but not that? There really isn’t any times that are low demand anymore, there are just periods with lower demand than packed.
I don't think it would but none of us really know. I just don't understand why Disney doesn't use better yield management to fill the parks to 100% capacity every day of the year.

APs are a disaster in Disneyland Resort. Before the pandemic, they were so affordable, with easy monthly payment plans, that there were around one million AP holders. That's what happens when you practically give 'em away.

As for Florida, they exacerbate an already crazy crowding situation. No matter how you slice it, they mean more people in the parks, and in line for rides. That's especially true on weekends, and unless you can travel strictly between Mon-Fri (and, oh yeah, watch out for any school break or holiday period that happen to fall on weekdays) you can't avoid weekends.

And, by the way, $1200 for a renewal that gets you year-long access to WDW? That's a laugh :rotfl:You think that's expensive? We will be in the parks for ten days, including one Halloween Party, and, all told, our trip will cost us at least 20K (staying at one of the All Star value resorts, mostly eating counter service, and buying only a few souvenirs).

As a bonus, thanks to the wonders of new-fangled tech crap like VQs, we have zero assurance that we'll even get to ride the two newest E Tickets at the resort, even ONCE during ten park days! Any local with an AP can ride a dozen times, easy.

Last edited:
APs are a disaster in Disneyland Resort. Before the pandemic, they were so affordable, with easy monthly payment plans, that there were around one million AP holders. That's what happens when you practically give 'em away.

As for Florida, they exacerbate an already crazy crowding situation. No matter how you slice it, they mean more people in the parks, and in line for rides. That's especially true on weekends, and unless you can travel strictly between Mon-Fri (and, oh yeah, watch out for any school break or holiday period that happen to fall on weekdays) you can't avoid weekends.

And, by the way, $1200 for a renewal that gets you year-long access to WDW? That's a laugh :rotfl:You think that's expensive? We will be in the parks for ten days, including one Halloween Party, and, all told, our trip will cost us at least 20K (staying at one of the All Star value resorts, mostly eating counter service, and buying only a few souvenirs).

As a bonus, thanks to the wonders of new-fangled tech crap like VQs, we have zero assurance that we'll even get to ride the two newest E Tickets at the resort, even ONCE during ten park days! Any local with an AP can ride a dozen times, easy.
Budget for a ILL at those two newest rides. You get a 7am advantage over locals that way and you're guaranteed to get on the rides.

I agree that APs were a big drag on DisneyLand but on the other hand that park absolutely needs the local traffic. It does not get the out of towners like Disney World and never will. It doesn't have the hotel space to house them.

But APs were never an issue at Disney World. Most locals avoid weekends when given a chance. That's not bringing in the traffic. It's all those out of towners on their weekend getaways.

I've been hoarding my Disney Visa Rewards for a few years hoping that out-of-state passes would go on sale again. Haven't been to the parks since early 2021. I just hope that the rewards card arrives in time.

I got as far as proceeding to check out and when I was assigning the passes to family members I got 504 Gateway Timeout and haven't been able to get back to that screen since.

I got as far as proceeding to check out and when I was assigning the passes to family members I got 504 Gateway Timeout and haven't been able to get back to that screen since.

The first time it took me to checkout. Second time, I got the 504 error screen. Refreshed. Now I am back at the checkout screen.

Got on at 6Am on DVC site. Got into purchase, but then nothing worked. I am guessing they’re overloaded .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter