Annual Passes - How do you make them work for you?

Iain Chapman

Are we back at DLRP yet?
Hi All,

Only even been to DLP once - and am eager to make a return visit.

Even since the first visit, and after which finding this forum, I've read about Annual Passes etc.

As a result I've done the maths etc on purchasing Annual Passes, getting there, hotels etc - but somehow manage to make it cost nearly the same as a normal 'Classic' package.

Be interested to understand from other Annual Pass holders (families) how YOU make the Annual Passes work for you - where do you stay, how would you normally get to DLP - and if you don't mind saying, roughly how much does it cost you to get to DLP (on the basis that you've got valid AP's).

Ta muchly.

Thanks

Iain

Hi Iain
long time since I've done the maths but I think I loaded it up on a thread, so it still might be there.

If you are planning on visiting more than once then it makes sense. Remember that you get discount vouchers. We saved up all our shopping to one day and got 20% off, which was quite a saving.

Reid

I think it all depends on how long you are going to stay for. If you are just going for a 2 night/3 day stay, then I think the package is probably a better deal. We wanted to stay 5 nights/ 6 days in August and the cheapest package we could get with Eurostar travel was with Disney themselves at just under £2000 and this was at the Explorers (there are 5 of us) not even a Disney hotel!!! Some of the tour operators wanted to charge us nearly £2500!!! Then we decided we would also like to have a Disney Christmas, so started looking into buying annual passes and going DIY.

We booked the Explorers through Expedia (total cost £690 for 5 nights - would be less if you only need a room for 4, plus I think the rate is better now than when we booked:rolleyes: ) and will be able to buy the Dream passes when we get there for 101 euros each, there is a discount when you buy multiple passes plus I can use my shareholder disount. The Eurostar fares were the biggest expense, we were tied to dates with school holidays and were forced to return first class as all the second class tickets had been snapped up by travel agents for the day of our return. These then cost approx £600 instead of £400 but at least we will get more comfortable seats and a meal served at them.
Total cost of our holiday (approx):
Hotel............ £690
Eurostar.........£600
Annual passes £360
-------
£1650 saving us at least £300
-------

As we are already booked for Christmas and plan to go again next summer, we will definitely get our moneys worth out of the annual passes plus there are the discounts on meals/shopping to take into consideration.

The downside to DIY is that we cannot use the Express Luggage Service and will have to take our luggage to/from the Explorers ourselves and the time we will have to spend buying our annual passes. If you are on a package you check in on the train and can hop off the Eurostar with your tickets in your hand and trot gaily into the parks LOL whereas our first afternoon will be spent checking in at our hotel and buying annual passes. No big deal for us with 5 nights/6 days there but if we were only there for say 2 nights/3 days I would then consider this wasted time!

Basically I think it all depends on how many are in your party, where you want to stay and how many nights/days you want to spend there. It has definitely saved us a lot of money before we even consider the perks of the passes.

Hope this helps. :sunny:

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me what DLP.info means on it's Passport page when it says:

Passports are valid three years beginning with the date of purchase

Given that they are 'Annual' passports (ie 1 year), what does the 3 year valid period actually do for you?.

Also - am I correct in my thinking that if I visit Disney and lets say have a 3 day hopper ticket, and we decided to purchase AP's - then providing we purchase them PRIOR to entering on the last valid day, then Disney will discount the AP by the cost of a 1 day park hopper?.

As a Shareholder Club member, am I also correct in thinking I could be looking at a 35% discount on the purchase of the APs - based on a 20% discount for purchasing 4 and a 15% discount as a Shareholder?.

Thanks muchly.

I think it means that you can buy a passport any time you want, but that your "year" doesn't start until you first use it - as long as that is within three years of the purchase date.

Iain Chapman said:
Also - am I correct in my thinking that if I visit Disney and lets say have a 3 day hopper ticket, and we decided to purchase AP's - then providing we purchase them PRIOR to entering on the last valid day, then Disney will discount the AP by the cost of a 1 day park hopper?.

As a Shareholder Club member, am I also correct in thinking I could be looking at a 35% discount on the purchase of the APs - based on a 20% discount for purchasing 4 and a 15% discount as a Shareholder?.

Thanks muchly.

Yes, that's how I understand it, that they will deduct the cost of the 1 day ticket from your annual pass.

With the shareholder discount, I emailed them to ask how it worked. They deduct the multiple pass discount, then deduct the shareholder discount from that amount. Shame they don't add the two up and deduct them together! :rotfl2:

Iain Chapman said:
Thanks.

Can anyone tell me what DLP.info means on it's Passport page when it says:

Passports are valid three years beginning with the date of purchase

Given that they are 'Annual' passports (ie 1 year), what does the 3 year valid period actually do for you?.

Thanks muchly.

The 3 year time is for the hopper and 1day tickets.
Yes, you will get a discount on the AP of 49€ with the 3day hopper.
Yes and you get 15% Shareholder AND 20% for 4 persons :-) minus the 49€ from the hopper makes them nearly pay for themselfs :rotfl:
(119-15%-20%-49€ = 32,00 €)

Can I ask - what is the overall advantage of an annual pass? What are the perks of having one?

1. You can go every (or at 335 days) day of the year
2. You get a reduction of 10% at the shops and restaurants
3. With the Dream AP you get one day 20% off the shopping and one meal with 20% off
4. With the Dream AP you can get discounts on room-only rates at special times.

These are the main perks of the AP

Greets Renate :wizard:

Hi All,

If on the last day of a hopper ticket (upon entering the park), you purchase AP's:

a) Will you get the 1-day refund of the price?

b) When will the AP period be deemed to have commenced:

As of that moment or the next date the AP is used to gain entry?

c) When the AP comes to be renewed, is there a 'benefit' in renewal, or are you effectively buying a new AP, at the regular price?

Thanks

Iain

Iain Chapman said:
Hi All,

If on the last day of a hopper ticket (upon entering the park), you purchase AP's:

a) Will you get the 1-day refund of the price?
Yes you will

Iain Chapman said:
b) When will the AP period be deemed to have commenced:

As of that moment or the next date the AP is used to gain entry?
It will start the day you purchase it and will be good for one year.

Iain Chapman said:
c) When the AP comes to be renewed, is there a 'benefit' in renewal, or are you effectively buying a new AP, at the regular price?

Sometimes there are. My AP expires this month and I got the offer to get for 1€ extra either one night at the Sequiou Lodge or 4 extra months. Sounds good to me :banana:

Greets Renate

Thanks

Iain[/QUOTE]

Thanks Renate.

Renate_do said:
It will start the day you purchase it and will be good for one year.
[/QUOTE]

So to make use of the 3year valid period you'd need to purchase the AP - without letting them discount it by the 1-day hopper.

Thanks

Iain Chapman said:
Thanks Renate.

So to make use of the 3year valid period you'd need to purchase the AP - without letting them discount it by the 1-day hopper.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

As I wrote on a previous post there is NO 3years valid period for the AP AFAIK. Only the 3 -day hoppers purchased at the gates are valid for three years.

Greets Renate

Thanks Renate.

Can anyone tell me in which order the calculation will be done - just so that I can get an idea of the price please?

4 x €159 - 20% (Family Discount) - 15% (Shareholder Discount) - €176 (1 Day Hopper - 2 Adults, 2 Child) = €256.48 (£177.99)

or

4 x €159 - €176 (1 Day Hopper - 2 Adults, 2 Child) - 20% (Family Discount) - 15% (Shareholder Discount) = €312.80 (£217.07)

As you can see, depending on how the calculation is done - can swing the pricing by £40.00

Thanks

Iain

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter